Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Intercooling options on 1ggze RA28. (No room for regular front mount)

Default Re: Intercooling options on 1ggze RA28. (No room for regular front mount)

Hey thanks for the replys guys, i agree with Grant that water to air i/c and water injection may be the easiest option, also probably more efficient than any air to air i/c's that i could fit on my car...Id like to hear alot more about some of the ideas you guys have come up with, especially the subaru intercooler and the water injection.
    JCMF< feel free to come see one real life and then give me your opinion!

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Default Re: Intercooling options on 1ggze RA28. (No room for regular front mount)

Where do you live mate?
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Up in greenwood!~

Damn you, did you change your username?

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustCallMeFrank
    Once again though, ultimately the factory engine has a TB right, so it's going to have to bypass the air somehow.
    The factory TB is pre-blower, which is exactly how any proper PD blower install is set up. There's no need to vent massive volumes of air this way because the TB limits the air getting into the blower in the first place.

I know people have mounted the TB post-blower and it works OK, it just seems like a backwards approach to me. What exactly is the problem with keeping it pre-blower as the factory intended?

Junior Member Grease Monkey

you can get thinner themo fans.
    Also have a look at this site its got some good info on building turbo setups
    Also has a few examples of how to mount intercoolers where yo have restricted space
    http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html
    Its a honda build but turbo is a turbo
    Last edited by limbo; 28-04-2006 at 07:59 PM.

tilting at windmills Carport Converter Ben Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    I know people have mounted the TB post-blower and it works OK, it just seems like a backwards approach to me. What exactly is the problem with keeping it pre-blower as the factory intended?
    With a decent sized intercooler (or plenum in my case) you wind up with a huge amount of air between the engine and the TB. This give you lousy idle control and nasty throttle response.

haha yeh mate, i did JCMF, still, where abouts are you?

Heathridge still.

Fair enough Norbie, I'm just thinking for a solution that would enable him to use stuff people just have lying around. Perhaps there would be merit in moving the TB pre-blower and just have the post-IC pipe running into where the TB was.

Sounds more like it mate come down for a few beers and casual discussion some time

Sounds like a plan my good man. I'll take you for a spin and show you what the "other" 1G would've been like

Yeh mate sounds even better

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic hypo23's Avatar

if you can find pics of daves old celica he had a nice set up in his, best bet would be the old forums was a two tone green and silver 23, dont think hes on here anymore
    cheers steve,

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case..................coincidence?

1ggte, 11.22 @122mph

I have all the pics of that car, but none show the intercooler setup
    This is the best i have managed to dig up, but you get no idea of how it it plummed, and setup, i know its water to air, and i know most of the specs from the for sale add on the old forums, But id LOVE to get a better look at it, anyone know who owns it? or how to contact theM? Im actually quite surprised at the RWHP of this 1ggze, His with an intercooler is making the same horsepower as mine without one, and my engine is running very retarded at about 95 degree intake temps when i boot it
    Here is the best pic i could find!
    Last edited by 79GT; 28-04-2006 at 05:16 PM.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Be careful of comparing dyno figures as they can very widely from dyno to dyno. That's why the dyno days are good; all the cars on the same dyno on the same day. It's the only way to really get a true comparison.

JustCallMeFrank, I perhaps worded my last post badly. I meant the GZE uses 2 manifold not 2 throttle bodies.

If the water-air intercooler of Daves is the one I'm thinking about it was up for sale a while ago. I passed it up as it looked really crappy (no offence ment) but it probably worked fine. If you PM me I can give you the guys moby no who was selling it if you are interested.