Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Infomation needed on ECU/Tune

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

Default Re: Infomation needed on ECU/Tune

Quote Originally Posted by trdee View Post
    if it's built to TRD N1 spec i think you should be able to realise it's something a bit beyond your run of the mill mods....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxixS...eature=related
    ahaha, first minute, most epic gear change ever going for 3rd
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

LOL strugla
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by trdee View Post
    if it's built to TRD N1 spec i think you should be able to realise it's something a bit beyond your run of the mill mods....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxixS...eature=related
    well the quads are something ive never seen or found yet...any one know the brand/type of quads i have.

Ok the tuner has had a go at getting this to run right and has had no luck, there is not enough tuneability with the apexi handheld to get the fuels right.

There is a 10 position selector switch accessable through the case of the ecu as well as 3 dip switches on the inside. Has anyone got infomation on what these adjustments do?

If i cant find this infomation ill have to find the money for a wolf 3d v4x and have it installed in a 4age ecu case. (any one want to get a group buy for the v4x?)

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

Don't get a wolf...if you're after a budget ECU, get an adaptronic.Wolf may have improved, but their earlier stuff certainly had nothing like the control and adjustability of the adaptronic, and would struggle to control idle nicely, and do closed loop 02 tuning for economy. To be honest, if it's running ok, and getting 310km/tank (assuming a 40L tank) then it's doing pretty damn well for a built motor...If you want economy, pull that motor, sell it for mega$, put in a standard blacktop with standard ecu.

-RM

By the way my tuner was speaking the engine isnt built to be paired with the ecu and is fairly stock inside, but is getting good power with external bolt ons.

What are my ecu options, wolf is local and i have a lot of support here and havent had anyone say anything bad about them, plus they will install their ecu into a orig 4a case so mr plod cant dick me for it.

Its hard being a Backyard Mechanic RT40Corona4AGTE's Avatar

good idea on hiding it, I like it!

But you can hide virtually any ecu inside a 4ag case as long as the PCB fits inside. I would say adaptronic for $$$ and features. Wolf's are good, I agree with you there. I assume this is what your tuner reccommends?

My advice is as follows:

1. Get something that YOU, not anyone else, will be happy with. Compare features, etc, etc of all ecu's out there and make a choice.

2. Be influenced by the tuner as to what you decide on, because at the end of the day he/she has to be happy with it as well.

There are heaps and heaps of ecu's available, megasquirt, microtech, adaptronic, autronic, motec, vipec, wolf, ems, I think even MSD now have one too! I have probably missed a heap as well.

Hope it works out for you, and if you need any help with anything, feel free to let us know!

Hope this helped. . . . . .
    1967 RT40 Corona Current Project - http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46182

The car it will be installed in is going to be my everyday driver so having awesome tunability isnt realy goin to sell me on one or the other.

Wolf 3D is made about 30min's from my place so support is local and the tuner has worked with them a lot (to the point of them using his dyno to test/produce new programs) so thats his prefered ecu.

Adaptronic is about $400 less tho, at the moment im not working and cash is a big part of what i will get.

I honestly dont understand all the stuff need to have the ecu do as im too much of a noob at the moment.

Im guessing that most ecu will be able to run my current set up as it not overly out there but i would like it so if i put one of my gze's in oneday that it could run that aswell. ill do a bit of a search on the forum to see what sort of wrightups people have done.

Feel free to chuck up any recomendations.

Its hard being a Backyard Mechanic RT40Corona4AGTE's Avatar

if you feel that way about the tuner and being local, I say go the Wolf. For the extra $400 you cant beat having them physically that close, and having a tuner who appears worthy of being using as a research and development tool. That alone is priceless I believe.

Now if you were going to tune yourself, It would be a different story!

But I stand by my recommendation, go the wolf I reckon mate!

Good Luck!
    1967 RT40 Corona Current Project - http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46182

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

if your tuner thinks the motor is mostly stock inside, then you could probably get away with an adaptronic with one of their supplied maps (they put up engine maps on their website).

Being VR rather than inj duty cycle based for their fuel maps, you should be able to easily reconfigure it for non-standard injectors (assuming as your earlier posts suggest, it doesn't have the standard injectors).

There's also the MSefi-based plug-n-play ECU kits distributed in the US by DiY Autotune <http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/diypnp-c-75.html> that start at around US$425

They have tech articles and engine maps for a wide range of cars, including 4age <http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/how_to_megasquirt_your_mki_toyota_mr2.htm> and you'd also have the years of contributions that folks have made on the msefi forums to help you out.

fwiw. there's been a number of threads on here and other forums about choosing workshops based on their technical skill in EFI systems as compared to hardware-specific skill sets. Personally, I'd go for the former.

finally, given that it's a motorsport-specific ECU, the apexi must have been used to try and tone down the ECU rather than improve it. A rather retarded approach to tuning?
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Yeh thats what we figure, sort of an odd way of doing it...

Junior Member Domestic Engineer shelldrake's Avatar

The version 4 wolf, although a little old now, is still a good bit of kit. Can run many different configurations. Very tunable. The only real limitation is only 2 aux inputs/outputs. (which I use for vvt activation and a shift light). You can still buy the looms and handcontrollers. Ive seen second hand wolf v4s on eBay for less than 500 bucks. Excellent value for money and would do every you'd need...
    Assumption is the mother of all f**kups...

yeh been looking at second hand ones but havent got the most trust that what ill get will work.

See if you can buy it on the proviso Wolf can check it out? If you let me know, I'd be happy to meet you somewhere, plug the wolf into my car, load up the current map with my software from a laptop and see how it behaves. (Although Wolf probably have a better method of ecu testing)