Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camry missing issue trying to solve

Long Time Reader Backyard Mechanic willwal98's Avatar

Default Re: Camry missing issue trying to solve

Funny everyone is looking at electrical. I would have checked the fuel filter myself.
    Hello.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Clearly a few things could be the problem and by replacing leads and plugs etc it'd have to run better even if there's something wrong internally. Your initial description of what happens is similiar to what happened to my Corona before finding out the head had a small crack in it. All of a sudden no guts in 5th is the thing I remember most. Plus, in hindsight and after noticing the lack of guts in 5th, puffs of white smoke coming from exhaust when giving it a gut full when taking off and losing just a little coolant from the radiator for a time before losing a whole lot into the sump.

From the first sign something was wrong with mine till it eventually went bust I reckon I drove it 1000 k or so. So, just in case you've the same problem I had and you want to keep it going for a little while longer yet, get some or something similar to CarGo Seal-Up which seals cracked heads and/or head gaskets and/or blocks. It's a favourite of the car sellers, apparently.

MONSTER MKIII Backyard Mechanic Wolfie's Avatar

lol it actually sounds a lot like your problem! 5th is gutless...I didnt get time to goto repco so problem still prevalent and will likely dump some of that seal up stuff in, end of the day if i can keep it going until november i'll likely just leave it at the wreckers with plates removed before I leave.

this weekend i'll have heaps of time so will hopefully give it more of a looksy...thanks guys!
    Robert --- I ♥ トヨタ
    -1990 Toyota Supra 3.0L MA70 - 2JZ-GTE build sponsered by B-RAD PERFORMANCE!!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Curiosity is killing the cat.

Forum Member

put leads on it

Forum Member

you may have spark when you pull leads of plugs when idling
    under load is a different kettle of fish
    measure resistance of leads u will probably find high resistance in one or a couple

MONSTER MKIII Backyard Mechanic Wolfie's Avatar

well its still doing it, haven't done leads and frankly have barely touched it...so freaking busy with work 5 days a week then spend the weekends dealing with my move to the US, but that said I have put 1500km's on her since my last post in this thread and it isnt any worse. I did breifly go over it with the lead mechanic at the business next to where i work (i make/repair driveline components, the people next door fit those components) and he doesn't think its a cracked head or dropped valve, narrowed it down to a vacuum leak somewhere or the leads are shot and as said i'm not getting whats needed.

I will likely get leads this weekend, i made sure to keep this weekend free to give it a good look over.
    Robert --- I ♥ トヨタ
    -1990 Toyota Supra 3.0L MA70 - 2JZ-GTE build sponsered by B-RAD PERFORMANCE!!