Thread: 4age running uber rich

what? Automotive Encyclopaedia EVOSTi's Avatar

Default 4age running uber rich

yeah i know another ge thread, i have searched and read through a few threads but cant find one that directly relates.

ok this car in question is my brothers. he had a JDM RWD 4age in his ke70, someone smashed into it, so he pulled the engine out and got another ke70. i fitted the engine at work. the only difference is he got a set of extractors at the same time. once we got the car running, it ran like shit. VERY rich, uses a tank in 180kms. car does not want to run when its cold, once its warm it drives good until about 3-4K rpm where its stutters and loses power badly, car also rumbles and backfires off throttle. so theoretically nothing has changed since we put it in the new car and it ran awesome in the old one.

what ive done: fitted the o2 sensor to the extractors, new plugs rotor and cap, swaped coil, ignitor, ecu from my runnning ae71, swapped dizzy, checked timing etc...

any one have any ideas? im thinking possibly coolant temp sensor? tho when i disconnect it on the ae71 it makes little difference.

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

Default Re: 4age running uber rich

My 4a runs a little rich but this is due to me not getting round to do the timing as i havent got my hands on a light yet and i only fixed it last week. I'm positive its within 1-2deg. If yours is fine then im not too sure. Maybe your fuel pressure reg is rooted and making too much fuel pressure.
    - LeeRoy
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

Oh What a Feeling! Backyard Mechanic c2888's Avatar

cam timing?
    your thermostat working correctly? cos as you've suggested, coolant temp makes a huge difference to the fuel being dumped in. When it thinks it's cold, it'll just run on the cold mapping all the time.

dan
    The spanner in my avatar is actually a 16mm, that's why it's still new

nah the timing is spot on, like i said i didnt play with anything when i put the motor in so i was thinking it was a wiring/plug issue as something maybe have been bumped in the transfer.
    yeah i am leaning towards a coolant sensor, but would it make the car run that bad? like the power is sweet up until im guessing 3-4k rpm then it just dies badly. i messed around with the tvis, as in i tried disconnecting it, then i tried having it on all the time, made little to no difference.

I see invisible people Backyard Mechanic WHITCHY's Avatar

Check if your return line is blocked.
    When my return line was blocked I was lucky to get 200kms to a tank whether I changed gears at 3k or 7.3k!
    Mine made normal power till about 3.4k and then dropped off heaps till TVIS opened and then it picked back up.
    So maybe your TVIS is playing up and it is just dumping too much fuel in and flooding it and TVIS isnt kicking in so it has no need for more fuel up high?.
    Try replacing your fuel pressure regulators and see if that makes a difference, when I replaced mine the flat spot disappeared for a few mins but then quickly came back.
    To find out mine was blocked I took the return line off the fuel rail and stuck an air compressor nozzel down there and opened my fuel tank to see if I could hear air coming through or making bubbles, but it just blew the nozzle back out it was so blocked!
    I now use my breather line for return and have a blocked breather.
    Maybe it is worth checking timing again if you haven't already?
    Good luck with it all!
    Cheers.
    -Whitchy-

cheers for the idea whitchy, i shall have a look at the fuel return line. i have checked fuel pressure to see if it was too high but ill check the return, im sure i got a spare regulator somewhere

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

MAP or AFM hooked up o.k ??

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic sw20r's Avatar

opps o2 is ok, fuel filter? blockages?

Junior Member Grease Monkey

where is the 02 sensor sitting on the new extractors? is it further away or closer than the standard unit?

If its further away it might be telling the ECO its lean and adding in extra fuel, if its too close it could be malfuntioning if its getting unusally high readings.

Anyway the above would cause the car to run as bad as you discribe. I think you may have a fouled plug or one of the leads are faulty. ECUs can be off by quite abit before you get those type of symstoms.

My car did something similar it turned out to be the plugs, even new plugs sometimes are fault, just try another set just to be sure. Whereas my car was tuned with the Wolf and the plugs died at 1000km. Took me ages to find out.

30 psi, yeah map sensor is sweet, ive checked the connection and the hose.

sw20r, fuel filter is brand new, but if there were blockages in the fuel feed it would prob run lean wouldnt it?

limbo, yeah i fitted the o2 sensor in as close to the same distance as standard as i could.
    the plugs were changed, and i swapped leads from my other car, same deal.

today i checked the fuel return line, its clear but i blew thru it with compressed air anyway. didnt have time to do much else cause work was flat out but on moday will swap fuel regulators from my car and prob coolant temp sensor and maybe map sensor for good measure. im sure after ive swapped every part ill find the problem, but thats why its handy to have another car with the same engine

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

For what tis worth pull the plugs and check the gaps.

Sometimes they can get knocked upon instalation and the gaps can close up.Or are they too big 1.1mm?

There has beem alot of discussion about 4a plug gaps but i recommend .8 mm

i prefer 1.1mm for NA and only use the .8's on boosted 4a's, but thats my personal preference. will have thew car to fiddle with during the week, will try all suggestions.