Thread: ke70 hydraulic clutch

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default ke70 hydraulic clutch

im sure this has been covered before but i cant seem to find it... whats the difference between the ae86 and ae71 pedal boxes? as far as i know the ae71 is more of a direct fit into the ke70, but im finding ae86 ones are easier to source. So knowing the differences before hand would be good so I know what im up for! thanks

dirty little Grease Monkey Cam-Rush's Avatar

Default Re: ke70 hydraulic clutch

why not just get an AE71 clutch cylinder and convert the KE70 pedal box?
    its pretty easy to do.
    im not sure about adapting a whole different pedal box, but i converted my KE35 to hydraulic using an AE71 clutch cylinder, and it was pretty easy.
    Signatures must be no more than 5 lines of text at 1024x768. Advertising is not allowed in signatures.

jzx100 fan boy Domestic Engineer slide86's Avatar

i have heard that there is a spot in the firewall thats the size and correct position for a hydraulic cylinder to be placed.

i have seen pics of this being cut out and the rod put through and connected to the stock ke70 pedal. (ill try to find the pics)

would save converting the entire pedal box, but it may be worth it in the end if it gets to hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au

yeah, ae71 would be nice but no-one up here seems to have any... plus all the ones at the wreckers seem to have been taken already! ae86 ones on the other hand seem to be everywhere!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Dimitri's Avatar

86 pedal does not easily fit into a ke70. i have done the conversion, 86 pedal into 81 model automatic ke70.

if you drill holes in the firewall on the flattened of provision for the clutch MC the pedal will not fit. it will foul the steering column bracket.

definately you must fully dissasemble the dash, take out the heater box, and drop the column. then and only then would i suggest trying the make the 86 clutch pedal fit first. get it sitting where it should and then drill the holes for mounting to the firewall/ clutch MC.

you will then have trouble attaching the 86 pedal to the 70. 86s have a column support bar running transversly across under the dash. 70 pedals just bolt to the bulkhead. i had to weld some flat bar to the side of the 86 pedal so that it could reach far enough to drill a hole and bolt it to the column.

this is only my experiance. manual or later model ke70s may be differant.

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

at Pick N Payless there is an ae71 with the complete setup pedal box>master cylinder.
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

far out! im there!first thing in the mornin! cheers!

I dont like the term Grease Monkey beige_bandit's Avatar

I put a AE86 clutch pedal in my KE70 P/van, no probs with it fouling on anything, plenty of room between it and the steering column, i didnt remove a single thing, besides the old clutch pedal, theres was no way i was gonna remove the dash(saw phrosbyte's efforts) ,
    But thats get's me thinking the P/van setup must be slightly different to the sedan's?
    Im just a little lost but ill be fine!

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

on what plane of existence is it anywhere NEAR possible that an AE71 pedal box is harder to find than an AE86 pedal box.

... it's like saying an AE71 is more valuable and sought after than an AE86.....
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Quote Originally Posted by beige_bandit
    I put a AE86 clutch pedal in my KE70 P/van, no probs with it fouling on anything, plenty of room between it and the steering column, i didnt remove a single thing, besides the old clutch pedal, theres was no way i was gonna remove the dash(saw phrosbyte's efforts) ,
    But thats get's me thinking the P/van setup must be slightly different to the sedan's?

i would say it might be more manual/auto differances.

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

we did this, took ae86 pedal box and put it into the KE70 for a 4age conversion.

A big hole and two little holes had to be drilled, and the whole dash had to be removed, my mate did this while i wrestled with the engine, but ill ask him if you need details.

Eldar.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri
    i would say it might be more manual/auto differances.

Is anyone here talking about putting a manual where an auto was? i know i'm not

got that pedal box from pick n payless and its all installed now just like i expected it to! was a bit of work but not impossible! ae71's pedal boxs dont seem to come up that often round here (Sydney) - all the wreckers ones are either gone or are auto's... been advertising on all the toyota forums for a few months at least... whereas ae86 were much easier to find (for me anyhow)!

Quote Originally Posted by beige_bandit
    Is anyone here talking about putting a manual where an auto was? i know i'm not
    the thread asked about converting a KE70 to hydraulic clutch. ive done such a conversion. i explained the difficulties i had. you mentioned you did the same conversion and didnt have such difficulties, i suggested it may possibly be because my car was orginaly auto.

^^^^ oh, sorry!

I didnt realise you had an auto, but even eldaro (unless that ke70 was originaly an auto aswell) removed the dash, in phrosbytes conversion write up he also removed the dash!

i still got a feeling there is a difference between the ke70 sedan's and the P/van