Thread: hvlp spray guns

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic cri_ag's Avatar

Default hvlp spray guns

on my way home from work this arvo i stopped in at the auto pait shop to check out some spray guns, im was looking at a gravity feed HVLP gun, but the guy said if its for home use then he wouldent recomend a HVLP one becasue most home compressors cant supply enough air. So i asked for some specifications on the air requirements but he couldent quote any, now we have a large compressor custom made for my dads building company basicaly its the biggest motor they could put on and still run on an ordinary household supply (not 3-phase) with an oversize reciver etc.

So i was wondering if a. any one uses a HVLP gun for thier home spray jobs and what sort of compressor they use and b. if they find the compressor is able to supply the gun easily or its flat out the whole time.

cheers
    Craig

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

Default Re: hvlp spray guns

cri ag. Hi mate I run a 14CFM compressor, that gives absolutely heaps of air for spraying. I have used the old suction guns, and now exclusively use the HVLP guns. HVLP actually stands for High Volume Low Pressure, so that should have given the paint shop guy some clue's.

Your dad's set up should be fine, just make sure you have a good regulator, and dryer. Drain the compressor tank before each paint layer. Compressors should be drained daily at minimum.

Have a bit of a search here on the forums, as there has been a great thread on painting, with input by some real pro's.

cheers Chuck.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic cri_ag's Avatar

thanks for the info, i will definatley go for the HVLP gun then, i was fairly confident that the compressor would be up to it but just wanted to know others experiences. That thread and others are what made me want to make the swap from the old suction feed gun to the gravity feed type.

thanks
    craig.

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

agreed. no dramas using your tank its plenty huge enough
    my puny little 40L and like 7 or some crap cfm couldnt keep up, but that was expected.
    your compressor wont even break into a sweat

ra28 Grease Monkey

it all depends on wat you are painting, as the guy said, if you have a large tank and large motor you will be fine, but wit a hvlp and painting a full car, anything less than a 17cfm will struggle, but you should just go on the cfm rating, the free air delivery is a better indication of wat the compressor is capable of, when i went shopping for my compressor, i looked at some cheaper items, 16cfm, 2.5hp single and twin items thet only produced around 220ltrs 'fad' at quite a high rev point, where the compressor that i bought has 370ltrs 'fad' at very low rev point. but by the sounds of your dads compressor it will be fine, if you fond that youre running out of air during a full respray, you can run another tank inline and wait for the motor to stop then start paintin, this should give you plenty of time 'air' time before you need to fill your gun up again.

all the best wit your new toy, i am hoping to get 1 soon, they use heaps less paint than a conventional gravity feed gun!!

krem