Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TD04 turbos?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: TD04 turbos?

Frank,
    what boost would the CT12s need for 220kw? Surely, they couldn't sustain much more than 15psi for very long (no point making power unless it's reliable). Either way, i still don't think they're worth keeping if you want to make that much power reliably.
    Life in Japan:
    I see dumb people. Walking around like regular people. They don't see each other. They only see what they want to see. They don't know they're dumb.

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

You'd be looking at around the 16-17psi mark, which with decent condition Gen3 turbos and a free flowing exhaust doesn't seem to bother them in the slightest provided they are shutdown properly and have regular oil changes.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by riceboy
    MY97-MY00 WRXs got a Mitsubishi TD04 turbo while MY01-02 got a slightly larger Mitsubishi TD04L. You're not gonna be seeing 220rwkw from a TD04 (i doubt you'd even get 220kw at the flywheel with a TD04).
    You can bump up the power figure to at least 180kw with better engine management, then improve the intercooler efficiency and you are looking at 200kw at the flywheel quite easily. But I never said 220rwkw ... someone else said that.

Quote Originally Posted by mullett
    As far as my local shop explained it to me, it's all about gasflow. He said that the standard WRX turbo would be really too small for a 4A-GZE, that it'd spool very hard, but run out of puff. Something about rexes having very poor gasflow, and GZEs having very good gasflow...
    That sounds pretty erroneous in my opinion and even if it was slightly true it's such a ridiculous over-generalisation that I would never use it to explain how turbo's match up to different engines.
    If there's one thing I know, it's never to mess with mother nature, mother in-laws and mother freaking Ukrainians

TD04 covers a very large range of different specs doesnt it?. I went out looking to buy one for a 4agze project, but I have found that TD04 means sweet F.A when talking to those in the know; its far too general.
    Unfortunately I purchased a 2nd hand one before I fully understood this (my bad) I have a small mitsi one and it is the only one Ive seen so far that has a 3-bolt flange on it.
    Can anybody shed light on as to the specs of this one? sorry for the slight hijack I felt it was on topic though as no specifics have really been mentioned.

formerly GTI-TRD now coming at you with 4WD turbo power!
    NZJDM coming soon - pm your JDM requirements

Teh Massif Dong Carport Converter BlackSupra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 30psi 4agte
    Try trust td04
    or td04 flow maps
    Trust dont offically release any compressor maps for their spec'd turbos, however factory mitsubishi ones are available.

Quote Originally Posted by RWDboy
    I could look up some info on the TD04s used in WRX's ... i'm pretty sure they are plain bearing turbos ... whereas the TD04s you pull off yer average Mitsu (like a 4G63 maybe, or maybe the 4G93 or whatever from the VR4?) are usually ball-bearing cartridge.
    All TD0x cores use plain bearings, not ball bearings.

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

Yeah your right m8 thats the only one I was able to find a few years back. I just did a re-serch but had no luck

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSupra
    All TD0x cores use plain bearings, not ball bearings.
    Bah yeh you are right, dunno where I pulled that one from ...
    If there's one thing I know, it's never to mess with mother nature, mother in-laws and mother freaking Ukrainians