Thread: 1982 Hilux power steer & rear disc conversion

Default 1982 Hilux power steer & rear disc conversion

Hi all,

I need some help!

I would like to install a power steering system to my ute which runs 35's and was hoping that someone here has done the conversion or can help with installing one.

Details as follows:

RN46/LN46 Hilux
    253 Holden motor

I have been able to find out that if I get an early model power steer box for a 253/308 motor and a Hilux live axel box, i should be able to get the conversion done.

Would someone have the above?

Can someone help with installation?

Has anyone done this conversion and got any pictures etc?

Also, need help with gathering parts for a rear disc conversion with park brake? Any suggestions welcome.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: 1982 Hilux power steer & rear disc conversion

I converted my YN65 Hilux to power steering. I just bought all the gear that came from a surf on Ebay. Any steering box to suit a solid axle 4WD Hilux will bolt up. I dont know if the holden power steering pump will work with the toyota steering box.
    You can upgrade your brakes by using LN106 discs and calipers. The discs are vented and the calipers have bigger pistons so they work heaps better than the old solid discs. You will need to either use the LN106 backing plates or cut a bit out of yours to fit the bigger calipers. FJ60 or HJ60 cruiser discs and calipers are the same as the LN106 and will bolt up to your hilux.I used a master cylinder to suit a FJ60 Landcruiser with the LN106 discs and calipers because it bolts straight up to the original power booster and looks almost identicle to the hilux one but has a slightly bigger bore so it suits the bigger calipers. The only difference with the master cylinder is where the front brake pipe comes out. Hilux comes out the top and Landcruiser comes out the left side so you need to make a new brake pipe to suit. It is only a short pipe that unbolts back at the power booster. After i did this brake conversion i didnt worry about rear discs because they are pretty good now. The LN106 uses bigger rear drums than the early Models so you could use them if you still need better brakes.

Default Re: 1982 Hilux power steer & rear disc conversion

Thanks Dazza!