Thread: fitting up a walbro intank pump

Junior Member Domestic Engineer J0RD0's Avatar

Default fitting up a walbro intank pump

Just about to throw a walbro 255 intank pump into my jdm ae86 fuel tank. Because im re-wiring the pump im wondering if normal heat shrink will be ok to use over the wires or will the fuel just eat away at it? It there something specific i should be using as i dont want the car to blow up as im driving down the road one day
    RA23 1JZ VVTi 373hp - SOLD
    12.4 @ 110mph
    THE EVOROLLA 262.9hp - SOLD
    JZ parts facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/524841910926804/

Junior Member Grease Monkey KENut's Avatar

Default Re: fitting up a walbro intank pump

Thats a good question... I cant answer it straight up, but maybe test the heat shrink?
    Like get some E10 and leave some heat shrink in it for a week. I say E10 because apparently it isnt so great with rubber in older carby fuel systems.

OR just use a shite load of insulation, like double/triple heat shrink the wires
    Seriously I personally wouldn't worry too much.

For piece of mind have the soldered joints where they cannot conect with each other

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Hurricane's Avatar

im running a v6 commo fuel pump in mine ke20 tank, running terminals soilderd to the wiring on the pump conections, with no heat shrink on them, as long as there cant touch each other there should be no issue.

also its not the fuel liquid that ignites its the vapours, so it would only be any issue if there were arking when the tank is empty.

i think the heat shrink will go mushy and come off ova time, could put some rubber hose around the wires inside the tank so they cant rub. as rubber will stay intacked with normal fuel.

dan.
    * 84 FJ60 - 37's, 308, 80 series coils/diffs and LS1TT in the makin
    * 73 KE26 - x4 Brown Wagz
    * 73 KE20 NOW 3T-TE
    * 84 KE70 Panno
    * MX83 LS1 Track Car

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic DrNick's Avatar

I just replaced a pump on my supra so I looked into this.

Firstly, dont bother with any heatshrink or anything like that unless absolutely neccessary. The OEM hanger setup has exposed solder joints so no reason why you cant too. Just make sure that they wont touch anything of course.

The Narva automotive wire sold at repco seems to be fine in fuel. To test it I have had a few pieces in a jar of BP Ultimate for a month now and they havent even started to degrade. So use that if you need to extend wires.

If you put crimp terminals on the end to connect to the pump, then you may want to remove the plastic collar off them as that is also not tested in fuel.

Finally, if you are extending the hose make sure you use submersible hose and not the stuff that they sell at auto shops. Don't listen to them if they try and tell you its the same thing because its not. Even they stuff that they sell as 'fuel hose' will swell up and fall apart if you submerge it in fuel. This can cost you an engine if you only have one pump so do it right. I hope this helps

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Hurricane's Avatar

mmm never heard of what ur saying about submerging normal hose in fuel.
    im just running normal fuel hose has been fine so far(ova a year now) but might check it just incase

dan.
    * 84 FJ60 - 37's, 308, 80 series coils/diffs and LS1TT in the makin
    * 73 KE26 - x4 Brown Wagz
    * 73 KE20 NOW 3T-TE
    * 84 KE70 Panno
    * MX83 LS1 Track Car