Thread: How to remove AE82/AE86 Steering Wheel Assembly?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Question How to remove AE82/AE86 Steering Wheel Assembly?

Guys!

Last night i messed out with my ignition key barrel, end key broke and the half was stuck inside firmly cant get it out, yet at the same time accidentally locked the wheels damn bad luck, so i decided to remove the whole steering assembly (steering wheel,ignition barrel, wiper and light switch).. its a AE82 corolla SECA, my pal told me that its the same wiring and assembly with the ae86 and ae92. anyone can confirm regarding this? and any guidelines how to properly remove and install the whole assembly? i already had one whole assembly from ee90/ae90-92.

thanks!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: How to remove AE82/AE86 Steering Wheel Assembly?

can you just unbolt the key barrel and replace it? saves a lot of stuffing around.
    matty.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by JDM hachi View Post
    can you just unbolt the key barrel and replace it? saves a lot of stuffing around.
    matty.
    yes and also was planning to convert it to push button/flip up ignition system, unfortunately all of those not anymore my options since i accidentally turned the steering wheel and had it locked. .

Junior Member Grease Monkey

The key barrel is usually attached with rounded off bolts, wouldn't be very good security otherwise. If its anything like the 92, removing it is extremely simple. After removing the plastics, disconnect the uni joint and 4 bolts hold it in.

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

the key barrels ive see have all been as follows:

put the key into the ignition, turn it to acc, look down the barrel, you'll see a hole, put a screwdriver in that hole to push up a pin, hold the pin up, grab the key, and pull outwards.

provided the key you have isnt worn down to the point where it pulls out of the ignition regardless of where its turned to, the entire key barrel mechanism slides out.

the only way ive managed to get snapped keys out before, has been to get a thin but stiff bit of wire (i work in construction, so finding it has never been a problem, although ive used welding rods before too) dip the end in some quicksteel/jb weld youve just mixed up, CAREFULLY insert it into the barrel, till it contacts the back of the peice of key, be patient, till it sets, then jiggle/yank (but dont twist or bend) and it usually comes out.

from there, take the drivers side door trim off, get the key code off the door lock, go into a locksmith and get a new key cut.