Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TECCWA - Targa West Perth Car Display August 29th

Old Skool Enthusiast Domestic Engineer GeneSPIDA's Avatar

Post TECCWA - Targa West Perth Car Display August 29th

The Targa West tarmac rally event is taking place from Thurs 26th to Sun 29th August.

While most of the stages will take place in various locations from the RAC Driving Centre, to Kalamunda and the Zig-Zag, to Toodyay and Bullsbrook, this year features the first Perth stages using part of Riverside Drive near Plain Street and the Causeway on Sunday afternoon.

There are plans for static car club and other displays on Langley Park, as well as other "shows" during the day until the Targa West competition cars arrive.

I'm a senior Chicane Official for this event, and would like to try organise some appropriate TECCWA display if possible. I'm in the process of getting an application form and gathering more details, but what I'd like to get an idea of is people's interest and look at choosing some good quality and representative cars for what TECCWA is all about.

My initial thoughts are to get people willing to be at the display and try promote it, with perhaps a small sample of cars such as:
    • Quality Old Skool or Rare Toyotas
    • "Race" Quality Toyotas
    • Impressively built bling or power Toyotas
    • Some Lexus representation

These are just rough thoughts, but high quality, unique and interesting examples would be best for the limited space that is likely to be available.

If you're interested, drop me an email at [email protected], including how you'd like to participate, which car and why you think it should be on display.

If we do manage to get a display organised, it would be great to see people down there showing their support too, and hopefully we can show how Toyota and Lexus cars can give some of the other car clubs a run for their money.

UPDATE Regarding TECCWA Car Display:
    The area is broken into 15m x 15m bays. A bay will take approximately 6 – 8 cars. Clubs can have more than 1 bay.

Setup will be from 10:30am and the displays will need to be ready by 12:00pm as this is when Targa are advertising it to the public for.

Between 12:30 and 1:30 there will be some parade laps and some small dynamic displays.

Once the vehicles are reparked after the parade lap they will not be able to be moved until the completion of the day at approximately 4:30.

I need to let them know how many cars we'll be bringing, so if you're interested, I'll need to know soon.

Display Cars:
    - ST185 GT4 - I'm planning to bring this
    - Aaron’s electric car (sorry, not sure exactly which model it is)
    - Robbo's AE92 Levin GT-Z - definite
    - Peter's MA61 2JZ Supra - definite
    - Tim's MX83 Grande - likely
    - Damo's Supra - definite
    - Darren's Sprinter - definite

I may see if I can organise the race TE27 Corolla to be part of it, but I suspect that car will be competing.

Gene
    Last edited by GeneSPIDA; 28-08-2010 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Updated Car List
    SPIDA - 1974 TA22 Celica (2TGEU 1600cc with Garrett GT25 320HP turbo) Dyno - 168.9HP at 10PSI, 14.8 sec quarter (so far)

TECCWA Member | Drag Run Videos

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: TECCWA - Targa West Perth Car Display August 29th

Hi Gene,
    Do you know which stages you'll be doing at Targa West?

Hardly a Domestic Engineer Sciflyer's Avatar

While theres a good chance i'll be out catching some stages, i cant really help with the display unfortunately

Old Skool only for this Backyard Mechanic WA_TRD_83's Avatar

expression of interest with a GA61 Supra

Damo
    83 GA61 Toyota Supra XX [TRD 83] - 7MGTE Turbo-A inside
    83 KE70 Toyota Corolla - the budget build
    94 EF Ford Fairmont Ghia [FATFORD] - looks tough, goes slow
    64 Chev Impala - west coast lowrider

We're still finalising team/stage allocations at the moment, but I'll be on the Perth stage, Whiteman Park (Thurs) and Kalamunda (Fri) and probably a stage out Toodyay way.

Cheers Damo, I'm still chasing information from the person organising the car show area, and will update with more details as I get them.

Hopefully TECCWA can drum up at least a few cars to display, and Targa give somewhere.
    SPIDA - 1974 TA22 Celica (2TGEU 1600cc with Garrett GT25 320HP turbo) Dyno - 168.9HP at 10PSI, 14.8 sec quarter (so far)

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Hey Gene,
    I'll be competing again this year. When I know our competitor number I'll let you know.

Cool, which car have/are you competing in? A toyota?

I had an organisational meeting with Targa West last Friday and, although I haven't received the display information yet, TECCWA are listed on the display entrants. By the sound of it, there'll be in the range of 200 cars on display.

I'm going to push the relevant person for full details on things will run on the day, and let people know when I find out.

But I'd like to get a small number of good representative TECCWA cars there.

Dave may bring his RA28 down to represent the older classic/cult Celicas, and I'd like to look at getting a few more:

Perhaps a nice AE86 Sprinter to represent some "sporting" cred, an MR2 along similar lines or other quality examples of Toyotas, preferably with some "excitement" factor?

If you have a car meeting that guideline, preferrably a TECCWA member, and/or would like to help organise the display on the day, let me know.

Damo, thanks for putting your hand up too, hopefully between yourself and a few others we can promote TECCWA down there, with some promotional material under the windscreen wipers.

I'll be down at Langley Park most of the day, helping set things up early in the day, to manning one of the 2 Chicanes on Riverside Drive when the stages start.

Should be a great day/event to be a part of, and an opportunity to promote the club to any Toyota/Lexus fans down for the action.

Not trying to be a Carport Converter

Does anyone know the owner (pretty sure his name is dwayne) of that built for tarmac rally orange AE86 (caged, dry sumped 3s-ge, adjustable suspension etc etc)

wouldn't be surprised if he is already entered in targa

you can't say ****** here Automotive Encyclopaedia CLG's Avatar

Dwayne Joubert

Yep, that's him and he drives the 999 car which follows the competitors around the stages to clear the stages so we officials know when the stage is complete and we can pack-up.

KE25 legendary Backyard Mechanic Robbo's Avatar

sounds like a great idea, would the display be interested in my AE92 Levin GT-Z?
    !!! BAN LOW PERFORMANCE DRIVERS NOT HIGH PERFORMANCE CARS !!!

私のトヨタはある従って速い均一死んだ人叫ぶ!

KE25 legendary Backyard Mechanic Robbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by senn View Post
    Does anyone know the owner (pretty sure his name is dwayne) of that built for tarmac rally orange AE86 (caged, dry sumped 3s-ge, adjustable suspension etc etc)

wouldn't be surprised if he is already entered in targa
    i know this man also, he comes into my work often for parts...
    !!! BAN LOW PERFORMANCE DRIVERS NOT HIGH PERFORMANCE CARS !!!

私のトヨタはある従って速い均一死んだ人叫ぶ!

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    sounds like a great idea, would the display be interested in my AE92 Levin GT-Z?
    I'm still waiting on details of the area we've got, etc. but could be. Is it in good condition, and show worthy? Are you a TECCWA member as, ideally, that would be good too?

If you've got some pics somewhere, let me know so I can have a look.

Gene

See update in first post regarding display timings, etc.