Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TECCWA September Event - Oil Production Facility Tour: September 11th 2010, 2pm

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: TECCWA September Event - Oil Production Facility Tour: September 11th 2010, 2pm

I should be free to come down on September 11th.
    Last edited by Mole; 21-07-2010 at 02:18 PM.

Old Skool Enthusiast Domestic Engineer GeneSPIDA's Avatar

Default Re: TECCWA September Event - Oil Production Facility Tour: September 4th 2010, 2pm

Yep, I'm free for it now too - for the new date:-)

Jenelle seems keen to check it out too, so the better half will be there too.
    Last edited by GeneSPIDA; 21-07-2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Remove wrong date - girlfriends!
    SPIDA - 1974 TA22 Celica (2TGEU 1600cc with Garrett GT25 320HP turbo) Dyno - 168.9HP at 10PSI, 14.8 sec quarter (so far)

TECCWA Member | Drag Run Videos

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: TECCWA September Event - Oil Production Facility Tour: September 11th 2010, 2pm

i'll still be in for sept 11th.
    Last edited by jonathan yee; 21-07-2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: date change

Gravel Lover Backyard Mechanic stumpygt4's Avatar

I will be there on September the 12th......Or is it the 11th. I am unsure, I think I may have seen the date September 11th Somewhere

Let me know who to send the money to or should I just bring it with me on the day?
    Jeff Thomas
    TOYOTA TEAM CELICA
    1 x 1989 ST165 rally car, 1 x 1988 ST165 GT4 spare car & 1 ST185 khana cross car. (for now )
    1 x GT86

Backyard Engineer Domestic Engineer airfireman1's Avatar

September 11th is no good for me. So you all have a good time an hopefully I will be available for the next one.
    Cheers Dave

1977 RA28
    1972 TA22
    1984 Supra

Question Re: TECCWA September Event - Oil Production Facility Tour: September 11th 2010, 2pm

Clint, I remember at the TECCWA go-karting you asked for some questions for the oil tour. While these aren't going to seem like real brain teasers, I'll suggest them anyway.

Q. Engine oil obviously comes in different weights/grades, and car manufacturers typically state which you should use. How hard-and-fast is this? That is, will it really hurt if you use something slightly different, and if you do which part of the oil grades/weight is most "flexible"?

Q. Are there things that need to be considered for alloy, multi-valve and turbo-charged engines and the oil used, besides the obvious keep levels up and change regularly? For example, synthetic versus other types, the above grade question, and so on.

Q. Engine oil is one thing, but are there any recommendations on gearboxes and differentials, as these sometimes get left unchanged for longer than basic engine oil?

Q. What happens with old oil, and is there a good way to correctly dispose of what comes out of a car when doing regular changes?

Thought I'd try contribute something.

Gene
    SPIDA - 1974 TA22 Celica (2TGEU 1600cc with Garrett GT25 320HP turbo) Dyno - 168.9HP at 10PSI, 14.8 sec quarter (so far)

you can't say ****** here Automotive Encyclopaedia CLG's Avatar

Thanks Gene, I'll add them to the list. Anyone is welcome to put questions forward - you don't have to be a TECCWA member or attend on the day - either PM me, or list them here.

Another small housekeeping item for the day, I'll have a few copies of the final draft of our proposed constitution for members to peruse, before it goes off for considerarion in our incorporation process - this will be your last chance to comment on the rulles that will govern the club.

Members not attending on the day are welcome to email me on clg AT teccwa.com for a copy too.

Clint

Not trying to be a Carport Converter

going to have to change my attending to a maybe for this, as i'll still be recovering from surgery. I'll have to see how i'm doing closer to the date. sorry clint. I'm hoping i'll be ok by the time this is on. I spose i could be tripping balls on painkillers, could make for a fun day out

Junior Member Carport Converter RA35GT's Avatar

Q: What range of temperature should engine oil be kept to maintain its properties?
    I.e. Say on a track/circuit car, when should you start worrying about oil temps.

Q: Whats the normal temperature for say gearbox oil, diff oil in normal operation. (As in normal street driving) How does it compare to say track/circuit work.

Q: Is there any value in adding treatments etc. to oils?

Q: Does oil degrade over time even if the engine isn't being used?

Q: Is oil (new or used) carcinogenic? What precautions should be taken when handling oil?
    1977 RA35 Celica GT - I4 | 2007 GSV40R Aurion - V6
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

you can't say ****** here Automotive Encyclopaedia CLG's Avatar

TECCWA members have been sent an email with location details and requirements. Non members wishing to attend - please email me at clg at teccwa dot com for details.

80's Style'n Backyard Mechanic VA61DETT's Avatar

Hi Clint,
    Just has a though last night for a question...

Is there an easy test to tell when motor oil has become 'un-usable' or lost its ability to effectively lubricate?

I think the other guys have covered quite a few good ones there .

-A

Not trying to be a Carport Converter

Clint - i'm back in for this, i've healed up quicker than i thought i would from the surgery, so no issues with driving/walking. I didn't get that email around the 27th-28th august though, could you send me a copy at your earliest convenience?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by senn View Post
    Clint - i'm back in for this, i've healed up quicker than i thought i would from the surgery, so no issues with driving/walking. I didn't get that email around the 27th-28th august though, could you send me a copy at your earliest convenience?
    PM me your email address and I'll send it.

Anyone who wants details sent, particularly TECCWA members, can email me at [email protected] and I'll forward them through.

Severely Underqualified Domestic Engineer Fodder's Avatar

Are people still thinking of doing something afterwards? I knock off too late to make it for the tour itself but would be keen to meet a few more people (and pick up a few parts off Clint )