Thread: 4A-GZE with standalone. Worth it?

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 4A-GZE with standalone. Worth it?

I'm not looking for huge power for my AE86 with AE101 GZE but the dreaded 5500rpm power drop bothers me when it happens so I was considering maybe changing to T28 turbo and N/A intake but I like the low down power. So any feedback on 4A-GZE with aftermarket management, also how do you work out the S/C clutch keep it switched or on constant. I have an SC14 on standby also but they don't fit easily with N/A intake in AE86 chassis and probably not worth while fitting the 14 with GZE intake.

anti blasphemy ! Carport Converter

Default Re: 4A-GZE with standalone. Worth it?

do it man, an aftermarket ecu is a good investment, it was my first mod to my gze and it loved it.
    get a better intercooler and bigger crank pulley and you have a fun machine.

and because its rwd, if you wanted to you could install an sc14, with minor mods, just use the stock gze inlet manifold.
    i dont have a funny or cool signature.

Nice..... Grease Monkey Rex_Kelway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jdm86gtz View Post
    ...I was considering maybe changing to T28 turbo and N/A intake but I like the low down power...
    As they say, 'You can't have your snake and beat it too...'
    Rex Kelway Sucks - Fabrication thread

Rex Kelway - ABN: 41 267 379 001
    Fabrication, Manifolds and CAMS spec Roll-cages in SA...

tilting at windmills Carport Converter Ben Wilson's Avatar

Getting the clutch switching is very tricky to get just right. On mine, I used a combination of a load switch, a Jaycar delta throttle switch and a timer. It was OK, but it was never as good as the factory setup.
    Strange things are afoot at the circle K

anti blasphemy ! Carport Converter

i had mine set up pretty good, using a microtech ltx. i had it set up to come on at 10"hg vac and over 1500rpm.
    i dont have a funny or cool signature.

Spirited Backyard Mechanic Casey-G's Avatar

I wired a haltech up to mine in my daily, still sussing a vac leak out atm so it hasn't been tuned. I will let you know and i dare say it will pull like a steam train.

Quote Originally Posted by fixeruperer View Post
    do it man, an aftermarket ecu is a good investment, it was my first mod to my gze and it loved it.
    get a better intercooler and bigger crank pulley and you have a fun machine.

and because its rwd, if you wanted to you could install an sc14, with minor mods, just use the stock gze inlet manifold.
    I have a fairly big front mount maybe from a MA70, I dunno as it was fitted in Japan. A friend mine has an SC14 with GZE inlet and it's ok I suppose but I guess a new computer would help his a lot.
    Keep the info coming, cheers.

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

SC14 and NA inlet manifold is not at all difficult if you can wield an angle grinder and a welder.

I got my clutch to switch pretty nicely from an aftermarket ECU too. On at 8" vac and over 1500rpm, off at 10" vac and with a couple of second delay on switch off. I once put up a diagram for the delay circuit.

Hen
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hen View Post
    SC14 and NA inlet manifold is not at all difficult if you can wield an angle grinder and a welder.

Hen
    Do you use the original lower mount or fab up a new one. The SC14 I have fits the lower bracket so it should be off of a 1G-GZE??

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jdm86gtz View Post
    Do you use the original lower mount or fab up a new one.
    I modified the lower mount a little to move the SC rearwards?? so the pulley and belt aligned properly. Then leant the SC away from the block til it cleared the intake manifold and made a top mount that braced into the head. Intake pipe to SC had to be a little creative, but nothing tricky.

Hen
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

Tried that on a friend's AE86 but didn't have the space to lean it enough with chassis legs, so we trimmed off the upper mount points from the GZE intake and made up a bracket to hold it.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Could you keep the stock ecu to control the sc clutch? Run the new ecu for fuel and timing, and keep the old ecu plugged into manifold pressure and whatever else so it can still control the sc clutch.