Thread: ta22 all suspension (inc coilovers and diff) into a ta23 ?!? is it possible?

Been there.. Done That Backyard Mechanic Cob604's Avatar

Default ta22 all suspension (inc coilovers and diff) into a ta23 ?!? is it possible?

hey guys.
    I need some help with my conversion please.
    im buying a ta22 with front coilovers, king springs in the rear and r32 disc brakes all round and with the same 114.3x4 stud pattern; the car is built for racing so the front coilovers were built for a fwd to make it hard up front.

I want to take all suspension and diff out of the ta22 and put it all into my ta23.

im not sure if it will fit, I know the rear is very similar between them, I just want to know if its possible and what I have to do to make it fit as i want to use it all in my ta23

your help would be greatly appreciated as all info so far ive found people arnt sure. some say different strut top so drill out holes in body and it will prob fit. etc

cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by roadkill
    When you get reaction like that it makes it all worthwhile.
    Bat mobil + 4age.. Engine painted, Fitting up now. Not long...
    Live life on the edge.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia roadkill's Avatar

Default Re: ta22 all suspension (inc coilovers and diff) into a ta23 ?!? is it possible?

Hi,

the rear should swap over fine. I think The rear is slightly wider in a 23 but the guards are flared a bit more, but yes they are easily swapped. Make sure you swap the panhard rod (i think that's what it's called, the long bar from the body to the passenger side of the diff) as i think they are a different length.

As for the front end, yes the strut tops are different. I think that the 23/28 has a pcd of 108 and the ta22 is something like 100. Anyway, you can easily swap over the tops and throw them into your car. Make sure you have a spring compressor or else those tops will go flying! I don't really know how you'd go drilling new holes, i wouldn't do it personally. Also, you can buy new adjustable camber plates for the 23/28 from t3 (techno toy tuning) in the states for a pretty good price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-...Q5fAccessories

He sells for the same price on ebay as he does his web page. About 20-30 postage. I think mine were 235 for the pair all up to my door. Can't complain about that!

bEn
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown

Bull now in china shop! Domestic Engineer NME308's Avatar

Default Re: ta22 all suspension (inc coilovers and diff) into a ta23 ?!? is it possible?

Hi there,
    Ben are you sure about the TA23 front end being different to the TA22? I have been informed the RA23 front end has the larger struts etc while the TA23 shares the weany stuff from the TA22 sibling?
    I can definatly confirm from my own TA23 that the wheel bearings and brake rotors are the self same TA22 weany items. The RA23/28 has larger front wheel bearings and brake rotors and of course 1 inch larger diameter wheels from factory. What I cannot shed any further light on is the strut top PCD as you mention however Ben... That is until I can get out to the carpark and measure!

Cheers,
    Jason
    3TC Compound Turbo 1976 TA23 - Members Ride Thread HERE
    479RWHP on 50psi and 70psi hasn't broken her at the track!

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia roadkill's Avatar

hI,

Sorry yes, the struts/rotors/hubs(maybe) etc are different but i'm assuming that he is swapping over the whole setup of struts/coilovers/rotors/calipers etc etc in which case the only thing that is different for his concern are the tops where they bolt to the strut tower. I'm unsure if the camber will change between the two though..... It's going to be 1000000 times easier to do it that way than swap each component over. If he had the right strut top to go on it it wouldn't take very long to swap it over.

I'm 100% sure that the towers in a ta23/ra23/ra28 are the same too. Ta22 are smaller

bEn
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown

Junior Member Grease Monkey TRD-12A's Avatar

The diff will be a straight over swap the front is slightly different but im sure you can make it work

got ta22 suspension, it has coilovers etc, with r23 dics and calipers.
    he gave me a template to make brake calier spacers, made them in 12mm plate and fixed the shape.

but im not sure how to fit them or how they sit on the strut eg, so i can drill the mounting holes into them to fit them to the strut then the caliper to them.

ill put up pics tomorrow morning.
    any ideas thanks
    Live life on the edge.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

hi there,

Just curious, how did the suspension swap go, did the rear springs and shock change over alright?

i didnt end up swaping over anything as i found out i dont need to upgrade the brake when i put a 4age into a ta23.

from what i know the rear should swap over fine just the ta22 diff is a bit shorter and make sure to swap the panhard rod over as well.

the diff and all rear suspension should be getting dropped off now and i can compare the 2 stuff and get pics or what ever you need.

cheers
    Live life on the edge.

that would be great as i just bought a half finished ta22 with hilux brake up grade and disk rear end, which i also found out had pretty good suspention, was hoping to swap every thing over to an ra28, was just conserned about the rear springs and shock.

Thanks

ah k no worries, im not to sure about ta22 to ra28. maybe have a look around toymods for comparisons and interchangeability.
    do you know what diff is in it?
    do you know what disc brakes they are?
    look around for hilux brakes into ra28..
    Live life on the edge.

im not a 100% sure but im under impression that ta23 rear is same as ra23 which again should be same as ra28, well thats what im hoping. corect me if im wrong anyone.

the rear is the original ta22 diff with r31 disks and sonata calipers with custom caliper spacer.
    i would like to go shortened hilux later date but just to expensive for me right now.

thanks