Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tech Tip - Getting the Spigot Bearing Out (when you don't have a bearing puller)

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic manny's Avatar

Default Re: Tech Tip - Getting the Sigot Bearing Out (when you don't have a bearing puller)

Soap, a stanley knife, a snug fitting bolt and a hammer works a treat - we used chips of common soap bar progressively tapped in with the tight fitting bolt and the spiggot/pilot bearing was out in less than a minute on a 1JZ crank.
    GSE20 IS250 - daily
    UZZ30 Soarer - 1UZ-FE/R154/Adaptronic - trackday roughie
    UZZ32 Soarer - Active Hydropneumatic Suspension (A-SUS) & Active Four Wheel Steering (A-4WS) - cruiser

Photographer and Backyard Mechanic Rinmax's Avatar

Default Re: Tech Tip - Getting the Sigot Bearing Out (when you don't have a bearing puller)

A ball point pen, pocket knife and a bit of string. Then ring up MacGyver and he will get it out for you. They are the only three things he needs to do ANYTHING.
    "It's an ingenious solution to a problem that should never have existed in the first place." - JM

"A Ferrari is a scaled down version of god while a Porsche is a Beetle with mustard up its bottom." - JC

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Soap - never thought of that; good one. The grease method is only any good if a) the drift you use is a snug fit and b) the bearing is the sort that has a rigid outshell so the grease doesn't squeeze through. I've tried it a few times but only had partial sucess. The paper works every time but will use soap for now on.

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

Default Re: Tech Tip - Getting the Spigot Bearing Out (when you don't have a bearing puller)

grease is by far the best method.

i have got one out ( when i had no grease ) by getting a long bolt (needs to be fairly long) grinding the head down till it fitt through the bearing. i then drilled a hole into a piece of steel and put the steel on the long bolt with a nut. you then put the bolt into the bearing and hold the boltit so the edge of the ground down head is behind the bearing. Then hit the piece of steel with a hammer !!

Its abit back-yarder but it works !!!

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida
    Grease = messy

Seal pulley = god

This was my idea. Works a treat.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Default Re: Tech Tip - Getting the Spigot Bearing Out (when you don't have a bearing puller)

i once made some contraption frrom a 18r head bolt
    i angle ground a slot on one side of the bolt so that it would hook around the bearing.
    i then wound 2 bolts into the crankshaft and put 5mm steel plate over them.
    there was about a 10mm gap between the head of the bolt wedged into the spigot bearing and the small plate across the 2 bolts sticking out.
    i then used a gear puller by placing the middle bit on the plate and the gear pulling teeth behind the head of the bolt. I then proceeded to just simply wind the gear puller while ensuring the pulling teeth were still pulling on the head of the bolt while simultaneaously making sure the ground out part of the bolt was still stuck behind the bearing (i might have wedged a small nail in there at some stage cos the bolt kept disengaging from the bearing).

it was frightfully dodgy looking but worked in a minute (once i was able to hold it all together) after the grease packing method failed to work (grease eventually just came through the bearing)

if i could draw an ascii picture i would but this editor just keeps taking out all the spaces that i put in....maybe mspaint will help me
    Last edited by barned01; 18-04-2006 at 11:48 PM.

Well there you have it; more than enough ways to get a spigot bearing out!

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

this thread = TEH WIN

my other method is hell uber dodgy, but i'll post it later. It involves a ring spanner, a hacksaw, and a hammer....... nb: i had no car and bugger all tools and needed to replace the spigot bearing right then and there.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

A few years ago a mate called and asked how to get the spigot out so I described the paper method to him. 3 hours later he called again and said that he'd been pounding paper into the spigot for hours with no joy. I couldn't understand this so I asked if he made sure the paper was wet enough - "You mean I have to WET the paper!"

Junior Member Domestic Engineer RobertoX's Avatar

I've had a total bastard of a spigot that just wouldn't come out with any of the 'hydraulic pressure' methods.
    Tried the wet paper, tried the grease and all I succeeded to do was to push the bearing seals out and bits of the broken bearing cage.
    A slide hammer took it out but it took a massive beating to get it...

I once removed one with a big bolt. I didn't need to reuse the spigot so i just screwed the big bolt into the centre of the spigot it cuts its own thread, then bottomed out in the base of the crank, then continuing to screw in the bolt pushed it straight out. Destroyed the spigot but I didn't need it. This was a bronze bush type though.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Big rob's Avatar

tack a nut to the spigot bearing and then just thread the appropriate bolt through it and watch the bearing come out. THank you some car show on the discovery channell.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic 1jzracing's Avatar

PLASTERSINE ..... not sure of the spelling! and bolt with the thread cut off
    works for me no mess no hastle takes 2 munuts

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

i beleive, that i used a screw driver for removal of this little prick...

because it went in crooked, and i didnt like ti, so the screwdriver saved the day, twice.

took dicking around, and lots of it, but i got the bastard.

Eldar.O.

I recently removed mine, here is my experience: (grease and wet newspaper mix).

Grease method ended up poping the bearing seal and the grease seemed to ooze out of the bearings. Then I used a combination of grease and wet newspaper (newspaper will form a seal to stop grease from flowing between bearings). Also put some wet newspaper between the bolt and the bearing hole so it makes a tight seal to give you better hydrolic pressure.

Popped out after packing grease/wet newspapers about 3 times. Good trick for a 4AGE engine.