Thread: JZX81 Digital Speedo Not Working.. HELP NEEDED!

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default JZX81 Digital Speedo Not Working.. HELP NEEDED!

G'Day Fellow Toyota Owners (preferably JZX81 Chasers)

I originally had all my 1jz/r154 bits from a JZX81 half cut in a cressida, but struck a to die for deal on a genuine chaser i couldnt refuse so I cut my losses and transplanted it into that instead.

Anyway, after doing it all, and doing the after checks, I realised that the digital speedo has stopped working. the dash all still lights up, however the speedo reads 0km/h constantly even when in motion.

I have checked the speedo plug on the right side of the gearbox (black plug, 3 wires) and found it was fine, did a continuity test from that plug, to the next plug up near the bell-housing and found none of the wires were broken inside the loom.

to continue therefore I once again proceeded to remove the kick panels and glovebox to uncover the plugs on each side to find no plugs left unplugged.

This leaves me in a very confusing situation, maybe i have missed a plug again somwhere but WHERE DO I START to look for one? Where do the speed sender wires travel to, or any help at all actually would be appreciated.

Cheers Boothy.

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: JZX81 Digital Speedo Not Working.. HELP NEEDED!

the speedo signal wire should trace through to pin 4 in the white 16-pin 3-row plug behind the glovebox, yellow wire. The speed signal wire is in the same plug/pin position between both the jzx81 and series 2 mx83. Trace the wire back to that plug and make sure it's going to the right place.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

WOW JP, thanks alot!!! i was able to chase the said pin to the opposite side of the car and rectify the problem Much Appreciated

BTW, how do you know the wiring so well on these cars?

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

I've done six swaps from jzx81 cuts into mx83, mx73, gx71, gx70, gx81 etc ;-)