Thread: AE111 20V Radiator and Cooling Upgrade Options

Han Lue aka Robin Hood Grease Monkey DreadAngel's Avatar

Default AE111 20V Radiator and Cooling Upgrade Options

Hey everyone!

I'm nearing the completion of my beloved AE111 *waits for the thunderous laughter to subside* anyway I'm running a modified 20V pushing out a reasonable amount of torque/power for a 1.6L. Still NA so no need to worry about juggling both Intercooler and Radiator.

Recent test drive around normal conditions revealed stock temps on open road (I assume this isn't surprising to you guys?) but in moderate/heavy traffic water temps went from ~80/90 to about 120 at which point I didn't want to try any further and pulled off the main road... Looking at doing some trackwork once the car has been finetuned too...

I've got an oil cooler yet to fit to the car so I don't have to worry too much about oil temps. Currently I'm looking at alternatives within the Toyota family (I've been suggested ZZE123R and ZZT231 radiator?) and aftermarket (ARC and Trust both make off the shelf while there are some SARD Sport and Racing radiators floating around). Anyone able to give me some of their recommendations or experiences? I'd prefer not to chop up my front bumper, I'm not that hecktic bro...

Also thinking of a small thermo fan but lack of space in engine bay doesn't really help...

Koyo has a Type-S 2 layer Copper Radiator with Plastic end tanks (AE111 4A-FE but was told it'll fit...), Trust has an all Aluminium 2 layer Radiator @ approximately double the price.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by DreadAngel; 27-03-2010 at 03:26 AM.
    Not here anymore!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: AE111 20V Radiator and Cooling Upgrade Options

I would normally post of ae111 forum but I saw this one first I'm looking at running one of these two rads I hear good things about them and there an ok price one even ships to oz.

Scarles they also have a website
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=275658394

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=274228595

The half size honda rads are a good idea as well I know alot of turbo levins run them as they give you alot better cooling then stock and are small and compact.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-280112222.htm

Also better coolant and some air dams would help any more questions pm me

P.S Give a radiator shop a ring a few of them will do custom jobs for a reasonable price

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

Just Alloy Radiators make good radiators. I have one sitting here for my AE101 GTZ, made to fit and it looks really good.

Thanks gents!

Shrike, I'm very interested with Scarles especially since they have an Australian website and can do bank deposit in Australia. Do you know what the quality is like with them? Cause I've seen both them and Race Evolution on Trademe but unsure of their quality...

Terra =P Haven't heard of JAR tbh, I looked at their website but couldn't find any listings for Corollas (Not even local ones) have you tried it on your baby yet?
    Not here anymore!

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

Have you had your current radiator cleaned properly? not just flushed, tank removed and rod put down the cores to clear the crud out?

I've found the stock one worked quite well at sprints etc when there's also an engine oil cooler installed. Temps didn't get anywhere near 120deg in the 7 laps at full noise. This is with the stock 20V radiator, cleaned properly (was 40% blocked straight from japan) and using toyota long life coolant with a new genuine thermostat and the system burped properly.

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

JAR will build to order (well mine was) but I haven't tried it yet....

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I've heard some good things about scarles but am still doing more research I have heard one person say that they heard of someone that had one lose its top but I think that's more hearsay.

If you can get one of there deals they go for 260 or less

Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Have you had your current radiator cleaned properly? not just flushed, tank removed and rod put down the cores to clear the crud out?

I've found the stock one worked quite well at sprints etc when there's also an engine oil cooler installed. Temps didn't get anywhere near 120deg in the 7 laps at full noise. This is with the stock 20V radiator, cleaned properly (was 40% blocked straight from japan) and using toyota long life coolant with a new genuine thermostat and the system burped properly.
    Hey JP, tbh no... I've not attempted to have the stock radiator cleaned because I'm unsure of its cooling capacity. Dissipating the heat in open air as I said was fine, it was when in traffic that she wanted to start a BBQ...

I'll look into it though depending on the cost and how much of a bitch it is to get it done lolz =P (I'm struggling for transport and time with the car off the road...)
    Not here anymore!

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

is your thermofan working? Even a 40% blocked stock radiator should keep the coolant temp at 90ish in heavy stop-start traffic in 30-35deg ambient temps.

With the stock engine, it hovered around 80 - 90 in heavy stop-start traffic, but with my new engine, it doesn't seem to stay under 100 for very long even in moderate (flowing traffic?) XD Unless I'm in open air, the stock radiator just can't cope with my new engine =|
    Not here anymore!

Low rep Grease Monkey

with my new 20v engine in, 40thour bored high reving n/a and stays around 70moderate and 80-90stop start traffic and i leave my fan on all the time .