Thread: KE30 4AGZE Front Mount with SAME Side piping?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default KE30 4AGZE Front Mount with SAME Side piping?

I went through a few pages and have seen what others have done.

What i'm looking at doing is front mounting an XR6 intercooler and having the pipes on the same side as the S/C.

I can see some of the obvious adjustments that will need to be done but why hasn't anyone else done this? Is there something I haven't seen of need to take into account?

Attached are 3 images one of a stock xr6 intercooler and one of the engine bay (original photo of when i bought it 4mths ago) and a pic of the car itself.

I'm finding a local shop to discuss this with further, with the wealth of knowledge on these forums I'd love to chat with you about it as well.

Thanks.

dont work in my backyard Domestic Engineer pandaah's Avatar

Default Re: KE30 4AGZE Front Mount with SAME Side piping?

the thing with top mount intercoolers like that is the issue of heat rising and it acting as more of a heat sink than an intercooler....

if you can get your hands on a infared heat gun would be interesting to see before and after intercooler pipe temperatures straight after youve opened the bonnet, then you will really see if the intercooler is having an effect....

only thing i would suggest to improve you setup is cold air ducts to the intercooler or a bonnet scoop, the exact idea behind most commercial vehicles with engine bay mounted coolers and also the WRX

pandaah
    Yeah i've already got a largish hood scoop and i'm find that it's not enough to keep the Top Mount cool. That's why i'm looking to discuss a Front mount system.

The pic showing the engine bay (few changes but "layout" the same) shows the Top mount as it was when i bought it. Finally got a few of the major parts upgraded and now i'm working on the fine tuning. Just wasn't expecting this much issue from the Top mount.

There's been a few suggestions off the forum of putting in some complicated air ducting and shielding to put a barrier between the engine bay and the Top mount but since that's never been done I was leaning heavy towards what everyone has done and Front mounting.

I was looking around for a cheap\basic\not going over the top with boost as it's a daily driver intercooler and spotted the XR6 standard turbo as pictured. I also found what they have all be upgrading too and it's a little big hehe..

Small, black and same side piping. Just need to work out what issue's other than the obvious In/Out pipes off the S/C that i'm going to run into running the piping onthe same side.

Thanks for your input

Gearwhore. Backyard Mechanic

You can rotate the supercharger output pipe without too much hassle, cut and weld. You will need some interesting piping, but should be able to make it work pretty easy - even easier is if you ditch the AFM and run an aftermarket ECU
    The above opinion is just that - my opinion. It is not shared by any business that I am currently or have previously been involved with, nor any of their employee's.

Short term I need to work out the reliablility issue in regards to the Intercooler overheating.

Taking the car down this afternoon to discuss the mods in person. The piping shouldn't be to bad unless there's something I've completely missed.

I've got a Microtech LT-8s which I used on my old N/A engine. At that time I will be removing the AFM plus what ever else is no longer needed.

Just don't have the funds to do it all at the same time and I need the reliability over the power as it will just be a daily driver.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Valkyrie's Avatar

Check my thread: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=16775

I went this way as the piping is kept shorter. I used a 7MGTE (Supra) intercooler) as they have both outlets at one side from the factory.
    [ $[ $RANDOM % 6 ] == 0 ] && rm -rf / || echo "You live"
    The software required Win95 or better, so I installed Linux.
    4AGZE into TA22 http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16775
    1JZ powered RA60 https://www.toymods.org.au/forums/th...light=1jz+ra60

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

here is a KE35 with a 4AGZE with SC14 with FMIC with same side piping:

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...t=33025&page=6

ooer that 7MGTE is exactly what i'm after. I'll need to source one (any in Qld has one )

Just as a side note has anyone had there 4AGZE shut down the ECU after 30km's ..?? I figure it was just over heating as I can run the car for hours with it off. (I've got a switch) But I've had a few ppl that couldn't understand how that could happen ... so I'm at a bit of a loss. Next step is to change out the stock ECU and put inthe Microtech ahead of schedule and my bank account lol

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

is the ECU grounding the SC pulley directly? or is still goes through a relay to reduce the current in the ECU?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Probably should of mentioned that this is my first S/C setup and I'm learning as I go

Where do I look to confirm either "oldcorollas" ? Also can you explain what could occur as a result of it being one or the other.

The engine is the AE92 Series 1.

I think i found what you were talking about and guess what! It wasn't grounding properly .. soo many issue's for one little wire

Made it around the block with out any issue's so I'll head out in the morning and try to break it .. i mean gently test it out ...

ok so that was just one of the remaining issue's .. :/ also worked out that my VL pump was dodgy and the smaller pump just flat out wasn't enough ... (hence the 30km's then no fuel ) you sit letting the car cool down and your filling the reserve tank up at the same time ...

last major issues it looks like the brake booster isn't big enough as after 4mins on braking in traffic i lost brakes! and there's still something wierd going on when the rear goes over a descent bump .. the whoole engine decides to shut off... looking for another loose wire