Thread: 3rzfe to R series gearbox

BBP racing 3rzfe+T Carport Converter BeRad's Avatar

Default 3rzfe to R series gearbox

I was sure there was a Toy bell housing that mated the 3rzfe to an R series trans, turns out i was wrong, so i thought i'd share the info i found along the way. ***Some info may be wrong or different to Aus delivered as info was taken from the states as that is where the bell housing is made, and where there is alot more general 3rz info.***

Please feel free to add to this, or let me know if anything is wrong so it can be edited as to not add more misleading info to the interwebs haha.

Some info regarding the R series box to 3rz...

http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmi...on-bellhousing

http://www.opw.com.au/ --- Is the Aus dealer for marlin, im unsure on their markup, it may be worth directly importing from marlin.

Marlin make a 3rz to "R" series bellhousing to suit any r series, the only difference between them is input shaft length, spacers are included to fix that as im sure youll read, there are changes that need to made to some depending on box choice.

The ifs model turbo diesel surf's etc have the r150 box behind them, you can buy a whole car that is usually running for 500-1000. The gearing options are endless, gears are interchangeable with alot of other variants.

The following info came from the below URL, i've taken most info out that is relevant, but has good info still in there.

http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/f41/eng...housings-4740/

Early r150/r151 box's have a input shaft length of 6.5inch, identical to g and w series box's.

ALL Toyota R150's and R151's built before 1996 are SHORT SHAFT\SHORT BELL. These CANNOT be used in a LONG SHAFT\LONG BELL application or with LONG SHAFT\LONG BELL adapter plates.

Trans gearing as follows (these are 4x4 gear sets, i'm unsure if they are the same as 2wd)

R150 - 3.83 2.062 1.436 1.00 0.838
    R151 - 4.31 3.32 1.52 1.00 0.83
    R154 - 3.25 1.95 1.30 1.00 0.75

This info applies ONLY to the AX15 and R150F. (AX15 is a jeep gearbox).

"Parts are interchangeable between these trannys. Inputs, output shafts, front nose cone, and rear housing are different but generally can be interchanged if you stay with in the family.

There are three "R" families;

86-91 early, simple, common, heavy design (rated to hold around 40% more torque than the w56)

92-95 upgraded syncro's, hubs, shift rods and linkage, smaller bearings, lighter gears

96-newer greater helix angles, upgraded syncro's, lighter bolts, reverse brake

(Surely there is another way but i'll post it anyway )
    It is possible to swap the 91 and earlier Jeep (AX15) input shaft into an R150F and use the Supra Turbo bell housing to hook it up to the 7MGTE. However, this shaft swapping can be avoided if using the 1996 and later R150F which has a longer input shaft already.

Just some useless random interesting info, i have no idea what a dakota is???? but using that bell housing will mate the R series box to any 3.8 commodore motor.

I also came across this, i'm not sure if you could get away with this in Australia as some of the stuff they do in the U.S is somewhat questionable.

This was done to mate a 7m to a r151 in a 4x4 application.
    Last edited by BeRad; 13-03-2010 at 09:44 AM.
    Only the shittiest of wines come in 5 litres

boosted 3rz hilux *new project* mwahaha
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...940#post134940

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: 3rzfe to R series gearbox

If the 3rz came out with the a340 you should be able to use one of ED's adaptors with that bellhousing?you would just have to get the spacing right.

Al.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia 2jzhilux's Avatar

other hardware
    R154 gearbox
    2TR-FE bellhousing with 32mm alloy spacer (accounts for input shaft length discrepancy)

This is taken from brettcelicacoupe's members ride thread so maybe ask him how to do it because i remember him saying the 2tr bellhousing bolts up to the 3rz and uses the r151 box.

RZN169R+2JZGTEVVTI+R151 Domestic Engineer madmont's Avatar

[QUOTE=BeRad;1136425]IThe ifs model turbo diesel surf's etc have the r150 box behind them, you can buy a whole car that is usually running for 500-1000. The gearing options are endless, gears are interchangeable with alot of other variants.

Early r150/r151 box's have a input shaft length of 6.5inch, identical to g and w series box's.

ALL Toyota R150's and R151's built before 1996 are SHORT SHAFT\SHORT BELL. These CANNOT be used in a LONG SHAFT\LONG BELL application or with LONG SHAFT\LONG BELL adapter plates.

"Parts are interchangeable between these trannys. Inputs, output shafts, front nose cone, and rear housing are different but generally can be interchanged if you stay with in the family.

Surfs have the R151 box

I have a R150 here off a Prado V6 and it has a long input shaft
    The R151 I am using in my Hilux came from a 2005 hilux and has a short shaft
    I used a Surf transfer case and adapter on my Hilux box and found the bearing which supports output shaft out the back of the gearbox is smaller on the 2005 Hilux box due to the 5th gear gear change mechanism being bigger than the one on the Surf R151.I had to make a sleeve for the smaller bearing
    The gear shift mechanism is also different in that the finger which engages in the slots in the shift rods is a differnt size but is interchangable between the Surf and the Hilux
    I would be doubtful that the input shafts would be interchangable between boxes with different ratios
    Last edited by madmont; 30-04-2010 at 09:56 AM.
    Jealousy is a curse

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

I am looking at using a R154 behind my 3RZ-FE, is there a difinative solution to fitting one?

3RZFE-T Backyard Mechanic

iam suprised that there is not a kit for the 3rz to r154 on the market.

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Bretts thread has some info...

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=29155

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Wilbo's Wiki (Includes 2JZ-GTE Wiring, etc! )

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12