Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4agte very high idle

working hard Backyard Mechanic

Default 4agte very high idle

Car: ae86

engine: 4agte with ems

problems: very high idle was fine 5 days of thrashing after fitting tvis plate guttered and filled holes with metallic cement. Used new gaskets etc was using no tvis plate before it held but leaked high boost reason for tvis plate.

All I want to no if having a leak in the intake/tvis would cause this problem or could it be something else causing it. Unable to check for sometime so it's killing me

Cheers Reece

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: 4agte very high idle

it's still leaking somewhere
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice Grippy's Avatar

Have you got the water lines hooked up, i know when i forgot to connect them to my 4agte with the n/a manifold it idled like a bitch

Yer thinking from the tvis holes. The epoxyed probly didn't hold should of welded em. Water lines all good just making sure it was leaks causing big idle as I thought if it leak car would stall due to vaccum loss

cars don't run on vacuum.. they run on air... if the ECU is MAP sensored, and it reads the air from the leak.. it is same as the throttle being opened.....

a small leak can result in a high idle... it doesn't take much of an open throttle to raise idle...

maybe look for holes or hissing sounds first?
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Yer understand mate I'll check it out when I can thanks for the info appreciate it .

I was meaning more that at idle, cars are usually a little rich, so an air leak, reducing vacuum, makes them idle much higher, even if fuel going in is same

good luck

I found the problem 1 side of tvis plate I epoxied has blown out. Who ever said that epoxy is good enuff thanks

was the surface super clean?
    clean, get rid of oil, and then roughen surface up with file or wet n dry, and should stick..
    devcon or other metal filled epoxies will also work, but again they need clean surface to stick properly.

or TIG it if you have one/know someone

Junior Member Grease Monkey

or fill from the inside and leave a little bit of a head so it's can't slide out. One up again is to taper the hole slightly from the inside for the same reason (easier said than done I assume)
    Even better is to tap them to suit grub screws. Is a little extra work but it's guaranteed never to have a problem. Or just thought of this one then, maybe to pop rivet them up then cover with sealant from the inside. Keep in mind I don't have a TVIS plate here to look at so I don't know if it's the space/access to do some of the things mentioned above.

anti blasphemy ! Carport Converter

weld it man !!!
    i would never use that stuff anywhere near the induction or anywhere that can get inside of an engine.
    think of the worst and fix it before it can happen.

i just use a n/a manifold and got it welded and faced to seal up on the head.
    i dont have a funny or cool signature.

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

or actually use t-vis and get some better low-end response
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

I filed and cleaned the holes, used some metallic cement from bunnings that read it would be sweet, will take it out Sunday and get them welded up. I also filled the center holes of the tvis plate did I really need to do that? As it could suck into the engine? Any ideas

Not trying to be a Carport Converter

i'd be getting shit welded up being as you are intending to run boost into it....
    Otherwise i think you are going to be constantly fixing the intake (or worse yet having to pull the motor down to fix internal damage from it inhaling bits of epoxy, unless you figure the boost will blow it away from the intakes...i'd rather not find out the hard way tbh

But does the middle holes on the tvis plate need to be welded up also or can I leave them open. I figured I'll fill them to just incase it gives flow issues to different ports with boost.