Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Opinion Wanted - 1JZ GTE or Built and turbo'd Beams 3SGE

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: Opinion Wanted - 1JZ GTE or Built and turbo'd Beams 3SGE

ok guys just spoke to rta tech enquireys, the heaviest varient of the ke70 was the cs wagon tipping the scales at 930 kgs. i can use the heavyest varient of the series as the base and here is the vsi weight formula they sent:

All vehicles originally having an engine with up
    to 4 cylinders or a rotary engine as the largest
    optional engine and with a tare mass up to
    1100kg

In cubic inches:
    Original tare mass (kg) x 0.153
    In millilitres (cc):
    Original tare mass (kg) x 2.5

930 x 2.5 = 2325

they did say however there are exceptions, loop holes etc, fitting bigger brakes etc etc or engineering it as an icv (individuallty constructed vehicle) in which the vehicle is remassed and the tare weight modified.
    and they said my engineer can tell me all about them and at the end of the day its upto the individual engineer, he is the one ive got to get approval from
    Last edited by Mr_Flawless; 20-03-2010 at 12:19 PM.
    Boost Me, Then Double Clutch Me, Till I Can Get My...Loss Of Traction

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Flawless View Post
    i spoke to an engineer and he reckons if u get the vehicle remassed, not just reweighed. when u have a remass done u change the tare weight of the vehicle they do it for trucks and busses all the time.
    This is correct for what goes on the engineering certificate (my JZA80 is listed lighter than when I first bought it), but I'm not sure whether it would change the rules for what engine you can put in there (and even if one engineer says it, I doubt the officers that pull you over or the RTA inspectors would necessarily see it the same way).
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Draven View Post
    This is correct for what goes on the engineering certificate (my JZA80 is listed lighter than when I first bought it), but I'm not sure whether it would change the rules for what engine you can put in there (and even if one engineer says it, I doubt the officers that pull you over or the RTA inspectors would necessarily see it the same way).
    From my experience (although mainly qld experience) is that most officers if you have an engineers certificate in the vehicle documenting all modifications they will generally not give you too much hassle...
    Sort of shows that youve made an attempt to be legal and do things the right way to which i think they give you a bit of respect...