Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ma61 diff in a ta22?

Junior Member Domestic Engineer weapon x's Avatar

Default ma61 diff in a ta22?

was going through classifieds and a guy made a post about selling his ta22, and had a w55 gearbox and ma61 supra diff with irs and lsd to go in.

(here is that post)

i asked the question but got no answer, so i will ask in this section.

how easily does the ma61 diff fit under a ta22?
    and mods required, if so, what are they?
    what costs could i expect to buy this diff arounds?
    what are the benefits and disadvantages of this diff in a ta22?
    is there something better i should be looking at?

cheers
    jamie

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

Default Re: ma61 diff in a ta22?

Would take a fair bit of work and ingenuity, search for IRS in RA40 for a detailed writeup on what is a similar conversion although I think the TA22 is narrower.

Callum

Today Im a Domestic Engineer Enchanter's Avatar

Im not an expert on the TA22 but Id be saying it isnt going to happen.
    Im not saying it cant happen, Im sure it could be done but it just wouldnt be worth the huge amount of hassle and possible geometry stuffups.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

If you are going to the huge effort of putting IRS in a car, please put a better system in than the MA61 IRS.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

But I have no carport? Carport Converter merc-blue's Avatar

i cant see this happening. i thought the MA61 was wider than a TA22 although a Tseries diff and a W series gearbox can work with a custom tailshaft and would be quite a good combo although the T series gearbox is pretty tough

so what do people recommend then?

i've heard the hilux diff is a good option, although some say it's fairly heavy?

if the ma61 requires huge customization and huge headaches, then i'm not in for that...
    just want to get it done right the first time and not have to worry about it later.

after something that is reliable too... not something that i have to keep fixing cos it's being pushed to the limits.

to give more info, the engine i'm looking at putting in is the 4agze combined with the w55 supra gearbox.

edit: merc-blue: in regards to the custom tailshaft when using a w55 gearbox and the original rear, i've heard that customizations are minimal when using the tailshaft from an automatic ta22.
    Last edited by weapon x; 16-04-2006 at 03:05 PM.

But I have no carport? Carport Converter merc-blue's Avatar

im not 100% sure on what would need to be done as i havnt done it myself (although may be looking to soon) the other option is a bloke on the classic celicas club has had a galant diff the the back for a Ke55 which should be about right for a TA22 (not 100% sure) ask him how he did it.
    shoot him a email: [email protected]

if I can track down a good W58 or W55 (that i can afford) ill start looking at tail shaft modifications to get it to fit.

User Conversion King

stuff putting a non-toyota diff in... your better off putting a T series in from a RA23/28 or a TA22 that was fitted with a T series.

they are a light car and the 4A-GZE isnt going to make that much power.

the T series in my 1ggte RA40 is holding up okay....its lasted about 6months so far of moderate abuse....including a circuit run and ~13 1/4 passes. all this is in a ~1070kg car with ~220bhp.

T series diff will cost you $200 max.....and its bolt in!!

then if it breaks, grab a YR22 tarago diff and have it shortened and throw in the MA61 LSD centre.
    hello

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Are we talking about the complete MA61 rear end or just the diff centre?

If the former, don't even bother. If the latter, it's relatively easy but you need an F series diff housing to put it in. MX13 MkII, MS112 Crown or YR22 Tarago as posted above are all good options.

Forum Member Grease Monkey TwentyTwo's Avatar

If you're dead set on an IRS conversion, a Datsun 1600/180B SSS rear end may be a closer match in terms of width. Still a shitload of work involved though. if you're just after a rear end that'll handle a bit more power, mabe sus this out...

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...ght=volvo+diff

im mostly after a diff that is more than capable of handling the power of a 4agze and that has disc brakes on it...

the lsd and irs is just what some guy was offering on the link i supplied my first post at the top of the page.

i'm not even sure if i would need lsd or irs
    does anyone know for what reason i should have them given the setup i mentioned, what are the advantages of them and disadvantages?

edit: i've heard that the ta22 diff from an automatic is stronger than the manual version. is this true?

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by weapon x
    edit: i've heard that the ta22 diff from an automatic is stronger than the manual version. is this true?
    I haven't heard that one. They're the same diff, but, depending upon the TA22-model/engine/gearbox the diff ratio can be different, but strength is the same.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

User Conversion King

some TA22's had the T series diff. i would say these are a tad stronger then the D series that came in pre-historic TA22's. i dont think they fitted T series based on tranny type, probly just occured at a set date. everything before had the crap one, everything after had the T series.

check the compliance plate of the car. it proby has a T series already.....if it does then grab some corona ST141/RT142 disks and throw them on.

as i said before...the T series should handle the pueny little 4A no problems.

after all, they only make 170@6400hp 152@4400lb-ft

better still.....find out where "river" lives, and when he is sleeping, put his car on blocks and quietly pull the diff out. the RA25 diff will fit a TA22 and they are F series, LSD and disk brake

then throw a TA22 D/T series in its place.

its not like the tractor-18RG could get both wheels spinning anyway. nor could it reach speeds that would require extra braking capacity
    hello

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by brett_celicacoupe
    its not like the tractor-18RG could get both wheels spinning anyway. nor could it reach speeds that would require extra braking capacity
    LOL!!!!

Not true... the 18RG-powered RA25GT is sooooo fast that when I went to Dubbo on the weekend I arrived before I left, due to the time dilation - such was the speed!

Oh, and another thing, RA25s have rear drum brakes. Not cos it's slow, but 'cos it's a man's car!

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin