Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4age to 4agze Daily

Spirited Backyard Mechanic Casey-G's Avatar

Default 4age to 4agze Daily

Hello all

car as it stood before today:

AE92 Series 1 Seca
    running a 4 AGE MAP Smallport
    K.Y.B excel G short stroke struts with king low springs on the front and k-mac custom wound lows on the rear (rear uncaptive)

Had a medium sized day today,

Basicly, this conversion was already planned, the 4age had run up a bit over 255000km in its 21 year old life, hasn't missed a beat til Friday night at 7pm the 19th of feb.

I don't know if it was because i mentioned in the car to the missus that i may stop in and catch up with the previous owner that the car freaked out or who knows..
    but,
    Head gasket basically decided that life as a plain old NA 1.6l inline 4 engine part was just not enough, and sadly ended its life 1km out of Springhurst leaving me, sitting on the side of the road till 8:30pm till a tilt tray help me get home, Big thanks to my mechanic who let us borrow it.

Had it dropped off at the workshop, went down there this morning with the mechanic, and it was quite obvious that it had problems, bottom of the car is painted with oil, the radiator overflow bottle had actually melted, but it still ran, only being a little hard to start. Not to sure if I've warped the head or not ill have to rip it off and investigate.

After that i limped it home (3km) and cleared out the carport. and began stripping out the engine bay:

Mess by the end of the night:

I dunno if i did a lot of work for one person or not, kinda, ill be putting in a big day tomorrow though.

New Donk

My question to you readers is mainly about compression ratio's and boost, a few part numbers for belts wouldn't go a stray either

If i ran a standard 4age pulley, and change the head gasket to compensate for the lack of boost, would i run into any other problems down the line? My theory behind this is to let the SC12 live a little longer whilst also combatting the knock sensor picking up the vibrations from the charger around 6k revs. I would also like a more experienced user to suggest a appropriate thickness head gasket if i run say 4pound of boost.

thanks,
    thoughts, opinions, questions, hate, love, signed t-shirts and deconstructive criticism all welcome in this thread.

xoxox
    Last edited by Casey-G; 21-02-2010 at 10:12 PM.

senior backyard mechanic Grease Monkey legend's Avatar

Default Re: Daily had a moment..

std gze head gasket is fine im using one im my 4agte
    building my 4agte ae82

Quote Originally Posted by legend View Post
    std gze head gasket is fine im using one im my 4agte
    nah i dont think you quite understand, i want to run less boost, and raise the compression, i know from the factory 4age's and 4agze's have the same thickness headgasket, as the compression is altered with the pistons.

All ae101 gze's suffer from a problem that is caused by the supercharger's vibrations around 6000rpm, and i would like to try and resolve this problem by running a higher compression, and spin the supercharge a bit slower.

works in theory right?

working hard Backyard Mechanic

Its kinda defeating the purpose of the gze setup. Your better off using a n/a bigport or smallport bottom end and slapping the supercharger gear on it. Then you have higher compression motor with 5psi from the s/c due to the crank pulley size. Waste of time IMO

Or you can go aftemarket ecu and leave it how it is

whole idea though is to increase the life of the charger as they are not getting any easier to find, and combat the 6000rpm power drop on a oem ecu from the knock sensor picking up the frequency of the charger at those speeds. (it is my daily after all)

if i can achieve the same cylinder pressures with higher compression and less boost i'll be happy.

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

How about renaming your thread with something a bit more relevant as the title doesn't tell what the car/engine is or the issue. A properly named thread helps people when searching.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Quote Originally Posted by river View Post
    Hi,

How about renaming your thread with something a bit more relevant as the title doesn't tell what the car/engine is or the issue. A properly named thread helps people when searching.

seeyuzz
    river
    Yeah no problems man.

To be honest it was kinda an accident to post in the tech section, but im asking questions so i guess i dont have to ask to have it moved..

few pictures from today;

OEM vs Cusco ABV

engine is in pretty happy with the work completed, gave it a freshen up, new timing belt ect..

fingers crossed no problems this week, i need it by friday

cheers;

Jack of all trades Automotive Encyclopaedia mattysshop's Avatar

Default Re: 4age to 4agze Daily

simple when the supercharger dies rip it off in favour of a turbo... same boost, makes more powaahhh

do you have an E series box to go beside it? GZE's kil C52's pretty easy well really loading them up at low RPM torque does at least.. turbo's don't seem to have that problem and seem to run ok with C series boxes..

AE92 ecu's don't usually have too much of a problem with the knock sensor.. it's the 101's that really seem to have that problem..

what sort of intercooler do you plan on running?

it is a ae101 gze, it will suffer from the power drop at 6. I do have an e series box but i'm not going to use it just yet. It is a daily so i don't want go turbo.. Well just yet anyways. This engine was previously bolted to a c series box and didn't really damage it noticeably in 4 months of driving. I will be looking to increase economy with this engine as it is my daily after all. Cheers for the input. Would anyone be able to work out my compression if i were to use a .8mm head gasket? Current compression is 8.9:1 cheers

Junior Member Grease Monkey _FNQ_rolla_'s Avatar

Here's a thought with regards to the ae101 gze, change the wiring and the ecu (beacuse of the so called power drop ....maybe fine tunning) to the ae92 zge with the AFM. I have not heard of them experiencing the power drop.

I think you are going through a lot of trouble for just a daily driver (a daily does not get the crap flogged out of it either, well my doesn't.

ask Terra as he plays with the ZGE's

All the best with the engine transplant

Gearwhore. Backyard Mechanic

Only problem is tuning is wrong for Aussie fuel and knock sensor circuit is very sensitive. Solution - new ECU Will make a handful more killerwasps and use less fuel.
    The above opinion is just that - my opinion. It is not shared by any business that I am currently or have previously been involved with, nor any of their employee's.

Quote Originally Posted by the_random_hero View Post
    Only problem is tuning is wrong for Aussie fuel and knock sensor circuit is very sensitive. Solution - new ECU Will make a handful more killerwasps and use less fuel.
    Correct.
    I'm not bothering even trying to fix mine. Just save for a ViPec V44 and then no more problems.

how much are they? And do they come with software?

Jack of all trades Automotive Encyclopaedia mattysshop's Avatar

adaptronic? pretty sure anthony does a plug in ready loom and a base tune might be available..

Gearwhore. Backyard Mechanic

Adaptronics can be had for around the $2k mark including tuning and installation.
    No idea about Vipec, mate is using one and reckons it's the shiznit.
    The above opinion is just that - my opinion. It is not shared by any business that I am currently or have previously been involved with, nor any of their employee's.