Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AE86 Clutch Help

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Unhappy AE86 Clutch Help

Clutch/Clutch Pedal problem. Not engaging gears at all.

hey guys im having trouble with my AUS SPEC Sprinter (4AC) I have left the car unattented for a month or two and when I went to start it the clutch pedal felt like there was no resistance or pressure you couldn't make out the friction point at all pretty much there was nothing there, anyways when I went to engage it into first gear it wouldn't let me (let alone any of the other gears), as if the clutch wasn't releasing?!
    so then i turned off the car and attempted to put it into gear while holding down the clutch pedal to some how start in first gear but still it didnt work its as if the clutch pedal has no control over the clutch? I think its possibly the clutch release cylinder or the master cylinder but before i start ripping everything to try and find out the problem i was wondering if anyone has encountered this problem before or have any ideas on the issue? I really need this car to get to work as this was intended to be my daily driver thanks for your help
    -T.

jzx100 fan boy Domestic Engineer slide86's Avatar

Default Re: AE86 Clutch Help

the first thing you should do is bleed the system, it may have a heap of air in it.

second thing is to put a clamp on the flexible piece of hose and then try to push the pedal down. if you cant then that means that the master cylinder is fine. BUT if it slowly goes down then fluid is going past the seal in the master cylinder and its no good.

slave cylinders usually go before the master tho
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

Another thing to do is check under dash where the pedal goes through the fire wall to the master and pull back the rubber boot on the master and see if you can see any leaks of fluid. do the same on the slave cylinder.!

the master or slave may be stuffed.

Just wondering as i'm not the most technically minded but a little rough diagram as to where all that is in the engine bay would be nice because i'll bleed the system but need a little direction as to where all that is thanks guys

say yes to boobs Grease Monkey mc68's Avatar

circular black thing on the firewall, brake booster, alluminium cylinder bolted to it, brake master cylinder...

and the smaller cylinder towards the centreline of the car is the clutch master....now, follow the line down to the slave cylinder...the bleeding is pretty straight foward

where you put your foot on the clutch. on the other side of the fire wall is the master cylinder ( prorb black with a fluid reservior on top ) follow the line that comes out of it down to the gearbox. at the end of the line you will find the slave cylinder. ( dont forget to check for leaks)

There will be a bleed nipple attached to the slave.

An easy way to bleed the clutch is to crack the nipple and let the fluid gravity bleed ( dont forget to keep the reservor topped up)

give the clutch a few pumps afterwards to see how it feels. you may need a mate to help you if the pedal is still shit by by you cracking nipple as he puts his foot on clutch. then you close nipple and he raises foot. repeat process.

Roflcopter Pilot Backyard Mechanic thu187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trizae
    Clutch/Clutch Pedal problem. Not engaging gears at all.

hey guys im having trouble with my AUS SPEC Sprinter (4AC) I have left the car unattented for a month or two and when I went to start it the clutch pedal felt like there was no resistance or pressure you couldn't make out the friction point at all pretty much there was nothing there, anyways when I went to engage it into first gear it wouldn't let me (let alone any of the other gears), as if the clutch wasn't releasing?!
    so then i turned off the car and attempted to put it into gear while holding down the clutch pedal to some how start in first gear but still it didnt work its as if the clutch pedal has no control over the clutch? I think its possibly the clutch release cylinder or the master cylinder but before i start ripping everything to try and find out the problem i was wondering if anyone has encountered this problem before or have any ideas on the issue? I really need this car to get to work as this was intended to be my daily driver thanks for your help
    -T.
    I had the exact same problem on my 4AC ae82. Like slide said bleed it as most likely there will be a leak somewhere.
    My slave cylinder went.
    [T]echnology is the only [R]eplacement for [D]isplacement

Strange ****** Grease Monkey wraith's Avatar

My '86 slave cylinder shat itself at about 220,000km. Had a stainless sleeve fitted and it was all good again. If the resivoir is empty, this is allegedly a "common" problem. But that was just the brake dude's opinion.

cheers

Ash
    WTB- replacement titanium nuts to suit the squirrel on my Megaswarf 2300. Carbon fiber model, not the Chinese knockoff fiberglass.

any luck trizae?

thanks for all the replies guys, still no luck as yet because we ran outta time (got dark as sh*t) but we found the flexible hose and there was NO liquid in the clutch reservoir so we filled that up but are havin a little trouble gettin to the slave if i'm guessing correctly its behind the firewall above the pedal somewhere so the dash we'll have to get to it under the dash somehow correct?

nah the slave is mounted to the gearbox just follow the flexible line down to the gearbox and you will find it!

the back of the master ( thing you filled with fluid ) is under dash attached to the peddal!

oh lol Damn thanks for that i thought it was a bit funny that we couldn't see it in the engine bay so what we bleed out is under the damn car! thanks for that will let you know how it goes tommorrow

Ok me and my mate went to bleed the clutch system with no avail as it still wouldn't engage the gears because the lines still had 'air', the clutch fork I noticed was still moving but ever so slightly and I was told that if it doesn't move that means the clutch cylinder is gone but it appears to be working but i'm not sure as too how much 'movement' its supposed to have? So my other guess is the Master Cylinder maybe needs replacing? The other thing is when I rang repco to get the brake/clutch fluid they gave me DOT4 fluid but when I went to put it in the car it displayed that you should use DOT3 fluid but should this still have a negative effect to bleeding the air out of the system? Any Ideas?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Evan's Avatar

MIne did this after a while of not driving.. we just started her up and pumped it a few times.. came back to life.. I thought fuck i was up for another clutch
    1986 JDM AE86 GT Apex panda coupe
    1997 JDM AE111 Trueno
    1983 AE86 hatch GZE
    1984 AE71 5sp
    1998 JZX100 TRD

yea there was a little fluid leaking when I poured the fluid into the reservoir? does that mean the master is done?and the slave cylinder fork seems to move about an inch or so so I think its fine but not sure bout the master cylinder?