Thread: 3S-GTE running issues (that caused engine failure)

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

Default 3S-GTE running issues (that caused engine failure)

I've been having a few issues with the running of my Dina.

It basically started with the replacement of the spark plugs at around 101 000km.
    I'd done the rest of the 100k service at around the 82 000k marked due to me needing a new clutch & the engine came out at that time.

The syptoms were a voilent bucking of the car, felt like a complete cut out of the engine, under load between about 2800rpm & 4000rpm.

The throttle didn't need to be under full pressure & it usually happened after the car had been cruising at partial throttle for a while.

I changed the spark plugs back temporarily,
    swapped in a different set of coils (coil on plug, so no leads)
    had the injectors serviced (which actually made the problem worse)

The only other issue is that since I put the engine back at 80 000km, I've had an issue with the first exhaust joint at the end of the dump pipe. This is a flexible joint and I'd only managed to get one bolt back in it due to the other snapping in the flange.
    This meant that under boost, the joint would open, leaving some kind of partial open pipe arrangement. But I can't imagine this is any worse than a "screamer" pipe, except for the full exhaust system, rather than just the wastegate.

Running it like this ended up with this:

And I'd rather not just put a replacement engine/bottom end back in if the initial problem isn't fixed.

Ideas/suggestions?

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: 3S-GTE running issues (that caused engine failure)

spun bearing.. not the first 3S that it has happened to..
    oil not correct or not changed often enough?

doesn't help with the running issues, but maybe they are not related?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Incompetent Automotive Encyclopaedia

sounds to me like it was running a shitload of boost and hit fuel/boost cut

looks like a mint engine, one in a million that it was a spun bearing, especially when the problem only came up after the engine bay was played with

i reckon the hose is off the wastegate or something
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

steve: when you pulled the older/current plugs - were there signs of damage or combustion chamber wierdness (e.g. pitting, metal deposition on the ceramic, etc.)?

voilent bucking: very lean event and/or dropped spark - how are the sensors in CAS and wiring to same?

Theory: major lean event under boost - instead of the piston failing, the rod did ... or combined with poor oiling, the rod bearing grabbed when the lean or detonation event pushed heavily on the piston?
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

There are bits of piston too (I can see light through the spark plug hole down to the new hole.

Just had a chat to Terry & his diagnosis (obviously without seeing it) is that I've been hitting a boost/fuel cut, and that the leaking exhaust may have caused this. And obviously, without having fitted a boost gauge there's no way to tell. It's a bit scary to think how much boost this may be though because there's another Dina running 18psi without any tricking of the ECU.

He also said that metal shavings through the oil pump can be an issue. I've been doing oil & filter changes every 10 000km (which amounts to about once every 15 weeks max.

The old plugs looked ok, just very worn (about a 2mm gap), new plugs looked perfect.

I haven't checked to see if there's anything internally wrong with the sensors (that was going to be the next step), but they're not damaged, nor is the wiring (or even its shielding damaged). I noted where the CAS & it's wiring ran when I pulled the engine at 80 000, and actually added a P clip to it to make sure it couldn't come in contact with any pulleys.

I'm going to start pulling the bottom end down this evening (see how far I get before dark) & see what results.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Quote Originally Posted by wagonist View Post
    The old plugs looked ok, just very worn (about a 2mm gap), new plugs looked perfect.
    is a very big gap - it might have been blowing the spark out at high boost?

Quote Originally Posted by wagonist View Post
    I'm going to start pulling the bottom end down this evening (see how far I get before dark) & see what results.
    you've done this enough time to pull the motor down by feel only? ;-)
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

time for a V6??
    did you up the boost at all? the ECU limits boost in 1st and second gears. and then bleeds to get normal boost in higher gears (like GT4) afaik, so if you set boost levels in 2nd, then they could be too high in 3rd/4th...
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

There was a definite performance increase when the plugs got changed.

The large gap in the old plugs may have been what was saving it beforehand

I've never pulled apart an engine before, so this could be interesting...

End result is that if the head is ok & no metal pieces/shaving have ended up in it, then with doing my own labour (can't be that hard to remove everything from one short motor & install it onto another), I could get away with a repair of around $1000.

Apart from the leaking exhaust, boost was untouched.

Still got thoughts about the V6. Squid's motor's is going fairly cheap, but then I'd need to modify the power steer and A/C lines, make a mount on the belt end, get wiring & ECU to run it, make an exhaust manifold that fits past the 4wd box (THAT could be interesting).

Still not a great expense, but then going to end up around 40kW at the flywheel down, but conversely, could convert to LPG fairly easily too (well a lot easier than the turbo 4).

I'd really love to see the TRD supercharger for this engine fitted to a RHD manual. As it was designed for a LHD model, considerations for the brake & clutch masters cylinders wouldn't have been made.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

There was a 1mz powered camry at Toyota Nationals in 2007 that was supercharged. More then likely with the TRD kit. Not sure if it was auto of manual though.
    If in doubt power out