Thread: 4y freshen up - power chasing questions

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 4y freshen up - power chasing questions

I need to perform a rebuild on my 4Y soon and figured I'd chase some more power. I already have a set of headers and a good flowing exhaust on it as well as a modified adm34 mentioned in my other post.

I have a spare non-genuine 4Y head to play with while I get ready to tear into everything.
    So now onto my questions:
    compression, the stock comp is about 8.8. can the head be shaved enough to bring it up around 10 or will I need after market pistons. If I need new pistons I'll probably just shave it as much as possible.
    Porting: can I port it myself ie are there some tips that can get me going, I'd like to do it my self just for the sake of knowing I did it myself.
    Cam: Waggot have these available, any advise as to what would be best in my hi-comp street engine: Will I need to change springs to run any/all of these?
    2Y-3Y-4Y
    Grind # Duration Cam Lift Availability Comments
    Advertised @ .050"
    In. Ex. In. Ex. In. Ex. Grind Weld New
    229 259 263 196 196 242 243 Yes N/A Yes .
    656 252 257 195 202 268 260 Yes N/A Yes .
    403 260 262 201 202 272 272 Yes N/A Yes .

Ignition: what options do I have here? I know better spark is needed to get the potential out of this build.

Before you all say it, I know more power is easy to get from an engine conversion or boost but I'd like to avoid mod plating etc. Also I have a serious track/car already this is still just my DD, I just want enough poke to take advantage of the suspension mods I've got planned.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia eeeyan's Avatar

Default Re: 4y freshen up - power chasing questions

surprsied u can get go fast bits for these at all. I'm fairly sure our forklift has one of these motors....

if i'm right the springs should be ok up to the 272degree one u have mentioned there someone correct me if i am wrong.
    Wish I had a F#%ken awesome toyota.. saving for the goodness now.... stay tuned....

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: 4y freshen up - power chasing questions

Quote Originally Posted by eeeyan View Post
    surprsied u can get go fast bits for these at all. I'm fairly sure our forklift has one of these motors....

if i'm right the springs should be ok up to the 272degree one u have mentioned there someone correct me if i am wrong.
    I was surprised too!
    Your forklift probably does have one, mine feels very industrial when I drive it. hahaha might be time to wake up the forklift lol

On the cams I have to say I'm yet to price them if they are really expensive one other option I thought of is sourcing a higher ratio rocker......... that may be easier said than done if no oem ones show potential. I guess that would be just a matter of investigating all shaft mount rockers as seeing what would do the job.
    I also think theres a mob in bris that re-grind the stock cam but once again that may end up cost prohibitive for this project as I have other money pits.