Thread: 1ggte stock ecu capabilities

Incompetent Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default 1ggte stock ecu capabilities

hey guys

doing a bit of an 'on the cheap' project. interested to know what a stock 1ggte ecu can do. am ditching the twins for a single for better fitment, if the computer sucks i'll get a cheap and nasty t25 but if it can cope with a bit more boost and a bigger turbo then perhaps t28bb or an sti turbo will be the go?
    Last edited by Shifty; 15-01-2010 at 11:41 AM.
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

Default Re: 1ggte stock ecu capabilities

oh and also any little tricks you may know of to stretch out its capabilities... eg 7MGTE with 550s, 1UZ AFM & a FCD
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

You will be limited by the stock injectors which aren't exactly large. Playing games with bigger AFM's etc is too dodgy even for me. Get a Microtech and be done with it.

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

The stock injectors will be a limitation as Norbie said. If like most, yours runs pig rich, you can tighten the AFM spring a smidge which will make the ECU think it's getting slightly less air, perhaps enough to account for a bit more airflow (enabled me to raise boost from 13-14psi to 17psi).

That said, if you have any money, I'd be getting an aftermarket ECU. I'd skip the Microleb though. Go straight to an Adaptronic, it's cheaper and way more capable.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

I already have an adaptronic. I'm just building a shit-tin at present.

If I find that I really love it, then I'll put my Adaptronic on it as it seems noone wants to buy it even for $700 lol

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

That's not quite true. I personally would kill to buy it right now, but I've been instructed not to
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Junior Member Carport Converter Z2TT's Avatar

Not really much you can do with the stock ECU apart from play around with interceptors like the SAFC, or just play with the AFM Spring. Tried clicking mine back a notch or two it felt like it was a bit faster, but that could just be me. I'd like to see some dynos showing if the spring can help you gain power. With SAFC you have a bit of tunability but not much.

If only there were daughter boards for Toyota ECU's like they have for the Nissan ECU's.

Nay sayer Domestic Engineer Mr Ed's Avatar

Why cant you change the injectors and just chuck a piggy back gadget on it? Theres plenty of guys who have done this on 2JZs with minimal fuss/cost, I cant see why a 1G would be any different (apart from the obvious limitations).

A VF34 with an SAFC and some form of bigger injectors should do the job nicely.
    I used to eat alot of natural foods. That was until I learned that most people died of natural causes.

Nay sayer Domestic Engineer Mr Ed's Avatar

asdfghjkl;
    Last edited by Mr Ed; 19-01-2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: bah double post
    I used to eat alot of natural foods. That was until I learned that most people died of natural causes.

Non qualified Domestic Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_2jza70 View Post
    Why cant you change the injectors and just chuck a piggy back gadget on it? Theres plenty of guys who have done this on 2JZs with minimal fuss/cost, I cant see why a 1G would be any different (apart from the obvious limitations).

A VF34 with an SAFC and some form of bigger injectors should do the job nicely.
    If you are going to use an interceptor, atleast use 1 with ignition timing control so you can try and offset the exstra advance that you add when you tell the computer lies about the actual engine load when trying to get decent AFRs.
    Better still is an interceptor that adjusts the injector open times to suit your needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    except for a very few exceptions
    "Don't worry what people think, they don't do it very often."

Daily: Glorified Taxi (F6 Typhoon). Out Of Action: Twin-charged Adub. Ongoing Nightmare: Over re-engineered (not) Alfa Romeo 75.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Toy77's Avatar

Hi mate,
    The computer itself is not very flexible, but as it has an airflow meter, it runs quite well with a turbo swap.
    I modified my 1g (which i have sold now) with a to4E single on a hks manifold and external gate. Modified inlet - forward facing throttle body. Factory computer, injectors and airflow meter.
    I ran beautifully. cold start etc, driveability were great. It was rich in the top end... i was running 15psi, but ran as high as 19 in the mid range (with an intentional boost spike set up). Didn't hit boost cut for some reason???
    It pushed my RA28 to a 12.5 1/4 mile at 111mph, which in a car of that weight indicates around 200rwkw. i only dynoed it once, to check it wasnt lean in the top end. it wasnt in shoot out mode or anything, but made 17x rwkw on a 30 plus degree day on that dyno.
    It was a great package, and for the price, pretty much unbeatable - no computer to buy, install, tune etc. Factory driveability.. and 12.5 sec quarter miles....

Cheers
    Stew
    Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines. – Enzo Ferrari

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic slipway's Avatar

should do 200rwkw no worrys, im still running the the stock 1ggte ecu with a to4e on my 1gge only running a 7psi spring in the gate and it's started to hit fuel cut, but with the spring tightend and my safc and sitc on and some good gas i should see around 200kw at 13-14psi.