Thread: my 2tg is very sick

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default my 2tg is very sick

hey,

while driving to work this morning my 2tg decided to die while sitting on about 3500 revs going 100ish km/h.

it didnt seize but just died, the more accelerator i used the quicker it died. i pulled over, and tried to restart it. It cranked over and fired, but when trying to rev it, seemed like it was flooded or something because it just died with the more pedal i used.

the engine is a relatively stock 2tg, with twin delortos.

recently it has felt a bit sluggish, and changing coil, leads, spark plugs, oil, checking timing didnt seem to help it.

While i think its possibly a fuel/ carb problem, it seems like it would be an engine problem. Maybe loss of compression or some valve-train related thing. I haven't had much experience with this kind of engine problem so im just guessing.

so any thoughts on the problem or the course of action to take? its currently getting towed back to my house. will i be ripping the engine apart?

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Default Re: my 2tg is very sick

got fuel at the carbis?
    got spark when cranking?
    do a wet/dry compression test
    any new mechanical noises?
    got goood 12V at coil/igniter?

i wouldn't pull apart unless smokey or BHG indicated.

FRustrated INdividuaL !! Grease Monkey Rosey's Avatar

Had a similar problem with my van of course its not a 2TG, but the problem was the points had no gap left !!! Pretty sure you would have checked this though...
    Cheers Rosey

I even do the dishes as Domestic Engineer Rodger's Avatar

The weather was cold this morning in Canberra.

It is quite possible for the Dellortos to have frozen over in the inner venturi area causing a gradual loss of power. If you tried to start it relatively quickly after it had died completely the carbies could still have been frozen.

I have not heard of sidedraughts freezing up before but it maybe possible with your set up. The standard 2T carby will do this on cold Canberra mornings especially on a long drive down Tuggenerong Parkway. The symptoms you have expirenced point me to this phenomenom.

After you have checked out all else you may find it will start again and run ok as before. I do not beleive it is anything that would cause you to replace the engine.

Regards

Rodger

Junior Member Domestic Engineer tricky's Avatar

Dammit, my carns weren't overly happy this morning before the engine was warm... Methinks it's time to retune it to dense winter air!

Silver TA22, it sounds like you still have spark, but it's worth checking anyway. Make sure you have fuel going to the carbies: Your symptoms are typical of a weak, almost dead fuel pump. Also, it'd be worth entertaining rodger's theory, although it seems pretty unlikely.

Good luck!
    Nikita the RA23 is almost finished .

Junior Member Grease Monkey

hey thanks guys, had a play this morning with it, tricky was on the right track, was the fuel pump, the negative cable to the relay had come a bit loose from the battery. so simple !

wish i didnt get it towed now

as for the weakness of the engine, no idea whats goin on there, seems down on power, and splutters and misses a bit on hard acceleration .

I even do the dishes as Domestic Engineer Rodger's Avatar

Good to hear.

Still reckon the Canberra weather has a lot to do with all that causes us car grief. Batteries dying, electrical connections becoming dodgy and un-warmed carbies.

My 2T without the stock filter housing and my 2T-B with filter pods both suffered from long drives down the parkway. I got so use to it I would let it die then sit for a few minutes letting the heat soak in to defrost the carby and off I'd go again.

Most people lucky to live north of us or on the coast have it good in winter.

Bring the car over to my place sometime and I'll take a look and a drive. I maybe able to help with the current ailments.

Or I can sell you a reconditioned set of Solexes?

Regards

Rodger

Speaking of reconditioned solexes Rodger, have you managed to get a set of fuel pumps for mine yet?

Damo

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic 74gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger

Bring the car over to my place sometime and I'll take a look and a drive. I maybe able to help with the current ailments.

Regards

Rodger
    Thats very generous of you. +rep for you