Thread: Standard 4k Carby blow thru turbo mods.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Standard 4k Carby blow thru turbo mods.

I have a mate with a 4k ke30 he's just 'banged' a turbo on.. currently hesitant at about 2-3psi due to carby setup problems. Running a single 1g-gte turbo with standard 4k carby.

* standard fuel pump has been boost referenced
    * carby air bleeds have been blocked (was going to redrill to smaller diameter)

Accelerator pump looks to have blown out, or was not connected initially. (this is not my car!)

Has anyone successfully run a standard 4k carby blow though or he is just wasting his time? The main reason to keep it is simplicity and the fact it's blowing straight into the standard frying pan and looks hilarious.

Other option is a 2L cortina weber, apartenty easy to setup for blow through? Any thoughts or advice, especially on setting up the carby would be great.

Thanks

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: Standard 4k Carby blow thru turbo mods.

Turbo 4K setup have been done. But for the cost/power ratio i don't think its worth it.
    you wont be running side draught carbies on a turbo setup unless you have lots of money to spend, Blow through can be done with a set of webbers etc, but tunning and setup takes alot of work.
    Id go a small turbo, suck through setup with a 1.75 SU carb, The carby is directly fitted to the inlet of the turbo, the turbo will draw air/fuel through the carb into the turbo and compress it and feed it to the engine, easy way to make a little extra power for a minium cost, You will need to find a turbo witha carbon seal as these can run fuel through them, You cannot run fuel through all turbos. any where from $300-$500

Then there is blow through with a carb, the turbo compresses the air and pushes it through the carb on the manifold to feed the motor, cost more as youll need to mod the carb for boost,higher fuel pressure as youll need to keep fuel pressure ubove the boost level, so 7 psi boost youll need 12+ psi fuel pressure (standard is around 4-6 psi), youll be able to run a intercooler etc with this setup.
    $400-$600+

Get a 4K-E/7K-E inlet manifold, Aftermarket ECU etc. Fuel injection is the way to go, The torque you make with this will make a huge diffrence without the turbo. Add the turbo and it will make ok power, But it will cost alot more $700-$1000+

it wont last long either way you do it, problem is the excels will still beat you, so youll up the boost and break the engine.

find a cheap twin cam engine conversion even a 2t-geu or something.

from the rollaclub

Bull now in china shop! Domestic Engineer NME308's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4kforeva View Post
    Then there is blow through with a carb, the turbo compresses the air and pushes it through the carb on the manifold to feed the motor, cost more as youll need to mod the carb for boost,higher fuel pressure as youll need to keep fuel pressure ubove the boost level, so 7 psi boost youll need 12+ psi fuel pressure (standard is around 4-6 psi), youll be able to run a intercooler etc with this setup.
    $400-$600+
    This actually works, simply put - Holley carb (2 or 4 barrels) - hangar18 website - 45 mins labour = boost ready carb. Yes you will need one of the $5 ebay manifold to 2bbl holley adapters and if you are like me stick yet another 2bbl Holley to 4bbl Holley adapter on top again

Fuel system V8 commonwhore efi pressure pump from dirt cheap surge tank through cheap mallory boost referenced efi-to- carby regulator. The original fuel system can usually be used to fill the surge tank for street duties / light fun!

Until running more than 10psi you usually wont need an intercooler although the 4k from hell should'nt need more than an RB25DET skyline cooler worth $30 anyhow!

Cheers,
    Jason
    3TC Compound Turbo 1976 TA23 - Members Ride Thread HERE
    479RWHP on 50psi and 70psi hasn't broken her at the track!

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

machine the throttle shaft holes in the carby body for seals.
    you need the airhorns introducing pressure into the fuel bowl.
    may need to block the "power jet"
    need to stuff around endlessly with jet sizes and progression holes etc.

easier to start with known quantity like a converted webber.

other option is Megasquirt + TBI such as from camira.. hidden fuel injection
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

And if you can't read the Hangar 18 guide properly use my modified version attached.

I take no credit for the content, just reformatted so that the images are all on the same page as the text.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Thanks everyone for the help, the setup is already setup and running, so no chance for engine conversion etc. Not wanting huge power, just an improvement. 100fwhp would be great.

Strict budget (when is it not?) and literally about $60 cash has gone into it to get it running. Small engines make every standard size engine part look huge, such as old 2" pipe being equivalent to what is usually 3" dump pipes etc.

The stock mechanical pump should be ok for the 4k, since it seems to shoot a fair amount of fuel by eye , as in -- more than enough to feed most 3L's i've seen. Boost pressure shouldn't be a problem either as it's been referenced under the diaphram (have done this before sucessfully running 12psi on a stock mechanical pump)

I'll speak to my mate, the holley looks like a good option. -- or a quick mod to draw through would simplify things a bit -- or even get my mate to cash in on the LPG rebate. Things to think about.
    I'll take some pictures and post them as the setup is quite 'cute'.