Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: longativity of 200+rwkw

Junior Member Grease Monkey go_the_datt's Avatar

Default longativity of 200+rwkw

hey people, i should ask a engine builder this but i dont wish to waste their time.
    basically this is still 3 months off from starting but ive talked to a couple of builders about making me a 350+rwkw 4a motor for my drag car but what i wanted to know is if i had those specs for that power would that mean if i was to drive it on a safe 180-200 kw tune would it beable to drive on that tune for a long time with out having complications as it wouldnt be as stressed? hope u can unerstans the question.
    cheers

Fava beans and chianti Backyard Mechanic AE86slut's Avatar

Default Re: longativity of 200+rwkw

Quote Originally Posted by go_the_datt
    hey people, i should ask a engine builder this but i dont wish to waste their time.
    basically this is still 3 months off from starting but ive talked to a couple of builders about making me a 350+rwkw 4a motor for my drag car but what i wanted to know is if i had those specs for that power would that mean if i was to drive it on a safe 180-200 kw tune would it beable to drive on that tune for a long time with out having complications as it wouldnt be as stressed? hope u can unerstans the question.
    cheers
    I don't think a 4A no matter how it's built would last very long pumping out even 300rwkw. You are suggesting 470+hp at the wheels... That's gonna be like 600hp at the flywheel!

A 4A making that sort of power would suck to drive on the street. Plus the bill to build such a monster would be hideous. I'd be looking at other motors that would make the same power with much less work, more driveability, and much less stress.

What car is it for. If it's mainly for drag, put in a 2J. You'll get 600hp At THE WHEELS out of one of those probably cheaper than what you are suggesting.
    I am not a doctor, or a mechanic...
    A.K.A Otomoto
    All new - Fart!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vios-GT_07
    it was 10,000 kms b4 it saw the red-line.. but even then i seldom push it that hard unless i have to prove a point i.e. competition

Junior Member Domestic Engineer myne's Avatar

People make 200kw 4age's fairly commonly.
    Assuming it's just the hipo drag motor with lower boost, and it's not some 12000rpm monster, I see no reason you'd have problems.

The really big thing though is, any damage done during your drag runs can accumulate and kill it during normal driving later.
    If you suffer a minor lack of oil when it's pumping out 500nm of torque for example and a big end scratches a bit, you could be looking at a spun bearing a couple of months down the track while you're showing off on the way to town.

Quote Originally Posted by myne
    People make 200kw 4age's fairly commonly.
    Assuming it's just the hipo drag motor with lower boost, and it's not some 12000rpm monster, I see no reason you'd have problems.
    It's gonna have to rev that hard to make 350+rwkW dude.

200rwkW 4AGTE's are a piece of piss to build - 350+kW ones are not.
    A.K.A Otomoto
    All new - Fart!
    it was 10,000 kms b4 it saw the red-line.. but even then i seldom push it that hard unless i have to prove a point i.e. competition

it will rarely be street driven. but i do want it to be regoed. it would do less than 800 km a year on the road. just wish to know if that would be detrimental to the health of the motor on a lower power output.
    the cars to light to go any bigger than a 4agte. unfortunatly im aware of the price to build this car.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

I think that the point is that to get to 350rwkw it will take some serious effort anyway. 200rwkw is reasonably easy for a 4AGTE, and shouldnt damage the engine overly when driven daily.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by go_the_datt
    just wish to know if that would be detrimental to the health of the motor on a lower power output.
    Good to see dedication anyways.

Just drive it a bit more sedately on the street if you don't want to use all the power.

The kind of motor you are talking about is going to be no-compromise, so unless you have a different turbo etc to use for street driving, it's gonna be a laggy pig anyways.
    A.K.A Otomoto
    All new - Fart!

That's exactly what I meant takai.

It's like the 20v turbo my mate has.
    If you drive it normally, it never see's boost so it's exactly as reliable as any other 20v, if you floor it, and it gets above the magical 5000rpm it's a mad as a fox 150kw @ wheels.

Odds are, to make a 350kw 4age, you're going to have a massive turbo like a T4 that wont even start to spool till 6k. So you can doddle round town with a relatively normal 4age but boot it on the weekends. It's the 9500rpm +30psi that'll kill it.

RWD or FWD?

If RWD, and you're weight obsessed, the 1uzfe is very light. It's also reputed to handle 40psi with a stock bottom end.

Quote Originally Posted by myne
    That's exactly what I meant takai.

It's like the 20v turbo my mate has.
    If you drive it normally, it never see's boost so it's exactly as reliable as any other 20v, if you floor it, and it gets above the magical 5000rpm it's a mad as a fox 150kw @ wheels.

Odds are, to make a 350kw 4age, you're going to have a massive turbo like a T4 that wont even start to spool till 6k. So you can doddle round town with a relatively normal 4age but boot it on the weekends. It's the 9500rpm +30psi that'll kill it.
    That's a good point, but my point is that a 4AGTE capable of making well over 600+hp at the fly isn't going to "doddle round town" very nicely.
    A.K.A Otomoto
    All new - Fart!

iconoclast Backyard Mechanic Youngy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AE86slut
    ... "doddle round town" very nicely.
    Agreed, it won't want to doodle at all. Should be an interesting build up!

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

lets see...

to make 200rwkw, people are using what? around 20psi? add to that atmospheric pressure and you have roughly 35psi

so to make 350+rwkw, you need around 70psi absolute (assuming there is no drop off in pwer vs boost ) so thats... 55psi boost pressure

thats 3.7BAR.

so assuming you have the compund turbos used for the turbo F1 cars and can actually make that pressure, you might have a chance in hell of doing it...
    you will also need some exotic fuel.... along the lines of the Elf stuff, but more likely methanol (indy cars run around 40psi on meth as it is.) and there is no way this can be regoed.

so asuming you have these high pressur eturbos.. your powerband will be very small, and you will rbably have lag to around? what... 7000? 8000rpm?

i suppose with enough money for custom block, rods pistons and heads and compound turbo, that you could do this for under $100K.

as to whether it will be driveable at 200rwkw? i dare say you will not have the chance to find out. the steepness of the power curve will be like a light switch

but i could be totally wrong...

then again, how many street cars have you seen running over 55psi boost....
    in fact, how many cars? apart from the earlier F1 cars, and topfuelers (are they 50 or 60? either way, nitro is not good for driving on the road )

so.. can you afford to go that fast? ie at least 50K for development? and then the rebuilds every few minutes/hours?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

its a rwd datsun 1000 wagon. wieght is listed at the rta at 660kg. so under the new legislation 660*2.5 (for forced induction)=1650cc.
    this is the reason it'll be a 4agte.
    cheers

Oldcorollas : Backyarder gets >300kw with ~40psi.
    I think your math is a little off.

jetpilot Automotive Encyclopaedia 1JZ.747's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    lets see...

so to make 350+rwkw, you need around 70psi absolute (assuming there is no drop off in pwer vs boost ) so thats... 55psi boost pressure

thats 3.7BAR.
    why is it when i hear any one mention big boost levels i get a hard on.

in puerto rico they start tuning at 45 psi.
    8.3 et PB 169 MPH PB