Thread: security key readers & moden ecus

Toymods Club Member Too Much Toyota TooF's Avatar

Default security key readers & moden ecus

Im in the process of putting a 2ZZGE from a ZZE123R (sportivo corolla) into my AW11

im fighting over the wiring currently and was planning to use the security key barrell and the key jigged up next to the ecu to over come the security system.

ive got the matching key/ecu combo as well as key barrel.

I have sourced various sections of wiring so i can connect it allas i have the full engine loom but no body loom. I went and scavenged from a ZZE122 (normal corolla) the plug for the security key reader. now when i went to put it together i realised the plug i purchased was a 5 pin connector and the key barrell is 7pin.

All the wiring diagrams i can find only document 5 pins (the correct matching colours of the plug/wiring i purchased.

does anyojne have some experience with the security systems of modern toyota ecus. can i go and grab the security reader barrell from the zze122 which uses the 5 pin plug and ill be in business. is the signal from the key just read and transmitted to the ecu and the key/ecu are the only matched part or does the ignition barrell need to be matched as well.

Junior Member Grease Monkey TRD-12A's Avatar

Default Re: security key readers & moden ecus

The barrell only reads the key which then tells the body control(the factory immobiliser) Which then goes to the computer to start the car it's a pain but you will probably need to get the 5 pin barrell and then have to get a scanner to reprogram the whole system!! Which i think only toyota has the program to do it.

Otherwise if you can work out the wiring to bypass the key reader(barrell) by bridging the wires this should work aslong as all the componets came from the same car

The only downfall is it wont be secured by the key

well the wiring diagram has a direct connection from the transponder amplifier (key barrel reader) to the ecu (P,V,G) the 5 pin connector ive got carries these 3 wires and the B,B-W wires for power.

the diagrams dont suggest any other security computer. what im hoping is that if the transponder amplifier is jsut a reader and doesnt carry any coding (which is my guess) that i will be able to use my mathcing key/ecu set without needing any recoding and all ill need to do is wire it into my ecu with the 5 pin connector.

suggestions ?

Normally the key reader is just that it just reads the key, aslong as youre using the key that is coded to that computer you will be fine

Good luck mate

thanks that was the answer i was hoping for. i think ill duck back to the wreckers and grab the 5pin key reader.

i assume it reads through an induction loop like your appartment keys so i figured the reader wouldnt be special just the loop in the key.

*fingers crossed*

Mate im pretty sure you will be fine