Thread: Identifying an R series gearbox

Beer Fueled Domestic Engineer doobs's Avatar

Default Identifying an R series gearbox

Ey all,

I have an R series gearbox, what I thought was an R154, it has been on my 7MGTE ever since I have had it.

The input shaft is 163mm.

From what I can gather from the forums, ALL r154s had a 190mm input shaft, although I did read that pre 96 R154s have a 160mm shaft..

So it leaves me thinking, what gearbox do I actually have...

Is there any other information or markings on the box that will shed some light on what it is?

Thanx

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Identifying an R series gearbox

I can only say that NOT all R154's have the same input shaft. The 7M are different length to those fitted to JZ series AFAIK. A while back there was a nice picture that showed all the W series boxes side by side and how to ID them which was great. The R154 has 4 'squares' made by the ribs on the side where as the W58 etc has only 3. If still unsure you could always weigh it, as there is a considerable weight difference between the r154 and W55/7/8. Cheers

Beer Fueled Domestic Engineer doobs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hemi twofifteen turbo View Post
    I can only say that NOT all R154's have the same input shaft. The 7M are different length to those fitted to JZ series AFAIK. A while back there was a nice picture that showed all the W series boxes side by side and how to ID them which was great. The R154 has 4 'squares' made by the ribs on the side where as the W58 etc has only 3. If still unsure you could always weigh it, as there is a considerable weight difference between the r154 and W55/7/8. Cheers
    Thanx for that, I know its an R series box, its well over 40kg, just not 100% sure is an R154. I know it works behind one though.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

AFAIK ALL R154's have the same size shaft, 190mm

The early R151 has a ~160mm shaft, and I believe the late R151's have a 190mm shaft, but thats unconfirmed.

Plenty of people have bolted early R154's to JZ motor using the stock JZ bellhousings.

I believe R151's in RWD only format were used in some of the 2WD Diesel Hilux's - which may be what you have
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS