Thread: 18r need to align cams/timing marks

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 18r need to align cams/timing marks

Guys,
    I've searched and found the rest of the info i need. Helping my mate who spun a bearing in his 18r-gu powered mk 1 cortina - we've got that sorted and i've got the torque settings/clearences that i need to get it all back together, I just need some help with aligning the cams/setting the timing marks.

Can anyone give me a scan from a manual or point me to a something online that can help me out? I've checked the other manuals etc on line and found the parts manual etc but nothing that specifically relates to this.

cheers

RA23 + 3SGE Beams Backyard Mechanic Major Clod's Avatar

Default Re: 18r need to align cams/timing marks

I will be doing this tonight with the old man on my 18RG, so I will scan the relevant pages from the green book when I get home from work. Probably around 6:30 or so.

wow, you are a gun mate thanks

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

shit...vers if i can remember there is a dot on the face of the lower timing gear (the chain links go between that (there is not a discernable link that lines up with the dot, it is either side)) then i think 19 or so countable links to the first cam (there should be a discernable link for to line up with the dot on the cam), then 10 links to the second cam.
    each cam has a notch in it that must point to 12:00. the cams can be adjusted slightly by the little 'pin that locks in at the front with offset washer.
    wow pictures speak much better than words (well mine at least) maybe it is better waiting for the scanned pictures.
    I have the book at home also but no scanner so i can only count in links for you which i can confirm tonight.
    the lobes for each cam on piston 1 should be facing away from each other and the dissy should be pinting at rougghly the 10 past 2 direction (top right).

Please someone confirm my hazy memory so i don't feel like a fool

oh look at the life and times thread of the 18rg for love of a tractor engine as well, river posted some exploded pictures near the end.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

your mates engine probably has the factory adjustable cam gears.... which makes life much easier.

start by removing the tensioner on the intake side of the head to give you some chain "slack"

line up crank to TDC

line up each camshaft so that the "notch" on the flange just behind the first bearing is vertical (on both cams)

now attach your gears and chain.....keep a little tension between the exhaust cam gear and the lower gear (the auxillary cam shaft that drives the oil pump and dissy)

.... keep the slack where the tensioner goes (between intake cam gear and lower gear)

install the chain tensioner, and line up the cam gears and camshafts to insert the locking pins, ensuring that those notches STAY vertical as you install the tensioner and with the crank at Top dead centre (TDC).

it might take a couple of goes and lots of swearing, but you'll get it. Its pretty easy really, especially if you have a mate to hold the camshaft in the right place whilst you insert the cam gear locking pins...
    ...... butt scratcher?!

RA23 + 3SGE Beams Backyard Mechanic Major Clod's Avatar

Hey guys, scanned up the pages from the 18R green book, hopefully this helps some people out!

http://users.tpg.com.au/celica23/toyota/18rgtiming.pdf

I'm more dodgy than a Backyard Mechanic ra_28's Avatar

Just a quick hit It's a very good idea to put a rag under the cam shafts in the timing cover because if you drop you dowl pin it's in your sump, not fun to fish out.

Thanks
    Alex

Thanks to everyone for their help! I've passed all of the information along and will let you know how things go.

Sorry to revive my old thread.
    My friend requires the main & big end bearing torque settings. He has gone through all of the information which you have so kindly provided (once again thanks so much!). If anyone has these it would be greatly appreciated.

Bump

This information would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

My bad, thanks for pointing me back there barned01