Thread: 1 jz vvt Mod for speedo pickup

Lexus wiring junky Grease Monkey Demon's Avatar

Default 1 jz vvt Mod for speedo pickup

Howzit to all. Looking for sum info on the speed sensor that runs from the wheels to the TRC and the multiplex. I dont have a speed sensor on the gear box on the 1jz vvt motor and i dont have ABS. Looking to create a pickup on the box from the gear tooth which the current sensor for the gearbox runs off at the moment.

This is the plan

Mill a hole in the back housing of the gear box
    Make up a housing that will screw into that hole with a thread to adjust the air gap
    Use a non contact inductive sensor
    Run the signal into the trc computer and thru the multiplex
    Run the signal to the speedo
    Use the same cluster that was running in the car before
    Recalibrate the speedo
    Run the sp1 to the ecu

Im only after the pulse signal that comes out of that system that is for the speedo read out. A bit of a worry is the erors it will pickup and the TRC computer shuts down

Iv got the whole cars harnes so the body ecu and trc is still all in one harnes. Runing the stock ecu. Going to do some tracing on the TRC unit this weekend

Can you guys advise please

Mod 1jz vvti auto - Hilux 2004 body

Default Re: 1 jz vvt Mod for speedo pickup

Any of you guys got the TRC pinouts for the chaser jzx 100 1 jz vvt ?

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

I can offer some info and personal experience with 2JZGTE VVTi which has a similar speedo arrangement (not exactly the same but similar)...

Personally I don't think where will be an issue tapping into the AC reluctor signal that you have and sending it to a small microcontroller then getting the microcontroller to output the correct signal to the dash (I'd leave the existing Hilux dash personally).

If this doesn't work then you could try sending the AC signal only to the microcontroller and getting to output a squarewave signal to the engine ECU and the dash...

The 2jzgte vvti engine ECU is happy to receive a square wave (0->5V) input instead of the AC reluctor signal from the rear of the gearbox (Not sure if 1JZGTE vvti is the same but would suspect so).

On the 2jzgte vvvti engine ECU it is the actual engine ECU that drive the speedo in the dash. The signal goes
    Auto Speedo Sensor (AC reluctor) -> Engine ECU -> <converted to 0->5V squarewave> -> Dash

I know this as I made a square wave frequency generator (0->5V) that I wired up to the 2jzgte vvti speedo sensor input (where the AC reluctor type sensor conencted) and then observed that the speedo in the dash read correctly from the output from the engine ECU.

This is how I'd start trying to look fixing the problem you have Electrical is easier to tinker with then mechanial I think in this regard

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Wilbo's Wiki (Includes 2JZ-GTE Wiring, etc! )

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Hi mate,

I have just done this conversion in my Soarer. You don't need the Traction stuff, as you don't have ABS or in this case the traction brake stuff you won't need the traction ecu. You will get an error 89 from your ecu, (that I can't get rid off, wish I could) as I don't have traction either. You can't plug in the traction ecu as it will throw errors for the missing wheel sensors and brake booster.

The ecu and all its stuff now gets its speed signal from the auto (reluctor) signal.

I made a circuit with a PIC program up to convert the signal from the pulse from the auto box and spliced this to my dash (also did my cruise control, power steering etc from the one circuit).

Do you know what the ABS unit from the JZX100 uses as its pulses from the abs sensor it uses for speed?

Thanks. Going to get the tracing done and work on what you guys have advised. It seems on the 1jz vvti the ac sensor on the box was made only for the ecu to pick your gearbox and the one from your speedo to SP1 on the ecu is for your 180 speed cut. Im not sure of what pulse that sensor on the box is sending yet. Havent looked at any of the abs stuff and by the looks of what you guys are saying its not worth going down that road. Are you not getting signal problems now that you have split from that one sensor ? What was your pulse rate that you got ? How did you alter that for your speedo ? Would think that the pulse rate could be totaly diffrent to what it use to get from the ABS.

The speedo into your ECU (as in my case) is also pretty important for my auto but yes will do my speed cut as well.

Splicing into it has caused no issues. The speedo pulses from the JZX100 auto is 12 pulses per revolution. If you can find out the pulse rate from the ABS sensor I should be able to jerry rig my solution to work on yours for a small fee. Took me weeks to figure this stuff out with Wilbo's help

Ok whats your price ? How long you had it in your cab now ?
    Last edited by Demon; 01-11-2009 at 03:47 AM. Reason: none

Price varies on the pulse count of the ABS sensor that I need to simulate. If its too many over 12, you might have to ask some smarter people to do something for you, I think someone does it for around $250 mark or something like that. Mine is only $100 but as stated if I am going to spend hours writing software, its probably not going to be done. Not because I don't want to help, but I don't have the time.

I see your jerry rig bit was removed :-) but to answer it, how would splicing into an speedo wire shut down your ecu? Obviously you will still have speed cut, but if you want your auto to change gears you will need a speed sensor to the ecu.

Running proudly for 3 months now at least. If I only I could get rid of the damn ECT error 89 (missing trac ecu). I wish I had a working jzx100 or Jzz30 with vvti, so I can see what signals I need to simulate to get rid of it?

Anybody out there help with that???

Ya took it out lol, didnt want you to think i was saying that your set up was a load of crap. Well just dont want the ECU to get a signal that is now weaker or somthing along those lines. The other thing is that you ask about the pulse rate that the speedo got from the ABS before. But the way that i understand the system is that its got the gearbox sensor on the back which you spliced into for your pickup and ran that thru your controller and then to your speedo and then speedo to ECU. So when it ran in the jzx 100 it never seems to have run thru the engine ECU. (Please correct me if im wrong ) It ran from the wheel sensors thru the TRC and thru the multiplex to speedo. Would seem that the SPD and SP1 are only inputs to the ECU. So your engine ECU is showing a error for no ETC. Well i guess im going to sit with that same problem

JZZ30 91 (my car) SP1 (rear of auto) --> Dash --> (ECU, power steering, cruise etc). SP2(+/-) straight to ECU as a backup (not used unless SP1 dies).

JZZ30 vvti (engine) SP1 (no longer exists), SP(+/-) --> (ECU). ABS/TRAC ECU SP --> Dash, cruise, power steering etc.

So I had to simulate the SP1 signal to my car body loom. I found where is goes into the body plugs under the console on passenger side. I then spliced signal generator into SP(+/-) above to simulate my missing SP1. Viola everything works!!! In your case, you will have to simulate the signal FROM the ABS to the rest of your systems. If its multiplex I have no idea how to do that??? If its just a signal (my abs outputs 24ppr) you can simulate it.

Yes you will have to live with the 89 error unless someone can help (me as well!)

Ok thanks for the help