Thread: Help with Otomoto coil-over kit

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Help with Otomoto coil-over kit

Guys, the Mrs car is an RA60 83 Liftback Celica. It has a 1ggte and 5 speed fitted. Can someone advise the best spring weight to get from Otomoto to suit this 51mm package? Its not driven a lot, but want good handling without it riding like a truck. Can anyone help who has done the same thing?
    Thanks
    Andrew

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Help with Otomoto coil-over kit

I have a RT132 Corona with a 1GGTE, so fairly similar front end setup.
    My front springs are 400lb/in, which is quite stiff.. it handles great though and is not TOO stiff to drive around on. (I could drive around in it all the time, but other people might want a softer feel)
    I use my car for the track though mainly.. so you may want something slightly less..

Also I can't stress enough with whichever rate you choose, make sure you have matched your shocks to suit.
    I had my koni's re-valved to suit my springs and it made the biggest difference of any of my other suspension changes...

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

I ordered 5kg springs for the front of my MA61 (same suspension), but I don't have it on the road yet. If you're not intending to uprate the rear springs, I'd go with 4kg, otherwise the front will be very out of balance...Out of curiosity, why are you going coilovers? And what shocks do you intend to use?

-RM.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

I was looking to go the coilovers for better height adjustability and ride control. I have never been impressed with King springs and different types of inserts. It gets driven on the open road regulary when we take it out as we live 20km out of town. I also figured at that prices it seems too good a deal to pass up on. What sort of inserts would you suggest, and what should we do with the rear end in regards to height and handling?
    Thanks again,
    Andrew

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

For the rear end, I've got some springs custom-wound from AJPS, at 5kg. Shock inserts are actually causing me a bit of trouble at the moment, I've got MX73 Koni inserts, but the stroke is too long to keep the springs captive. I *think* SW20 rears work well? But need spacing or cutting down the tube.

-RM