Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand Controls

Junior Member Grease Monkey ripfast's Avatar

Default Hand Controls

Hi all,

A mate of mine had a bad accident (not car) but has lost the use of his legs. Ive been trying to find hand controls to get his car converted but all i can seem to find is big lever systems.

Does anyone know if you can get like a 'flappy paddle' gearbox type arrangement that controls the accelerator and brake, using electrics and motors?

Cheers
    1985 VK Commodore with 1JZ-GTE
    1989 GZ20 GT-T Soarer with 1G-GTE
    2008 IS250 with not enough power

Cressidaspert Carport Converter andrew_mx83's Avatar

Default Re: Hand Controls

placentajuan setup something like this for his mx83 a couple of years back, pretty sure there is a thread on here about it......

cheers, i pm'ed him

I would love to eat a... Domestic Engineer Sagluren's Avatar

i have also seen a few cars at the drags years ago with a motorbike throttle/brake system fitted

i have no idea where to get it fitted tho.

cheers
    Turbo flutter. : Its like a burp and a hiccup at the same time.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

I "think" that the braking system must be mechanically operated... which is why most of these systems use a long lever with a fair bit of .... leverage.

Junior Member Grease Monkey minimechanic's Avatar

I went to go buy a Where's Wally book the other day..
    couldn't find it anywhere..
    You win this round Wally...

MX83 + 2JZ + R154

cheers guys all good info for me, i would like to have an accelerator tat was full electric.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Call a company called Mobility Industries (NSW)

the Afterbirth Tycoon Automotive Encyclopaedia PlacentaJuan's Avatar

yea i made up a hand throttle, which just used a regular throttle cable and a spare butterfly that i had on the engine. it was only for burnouts and staging at the drags, i wouldnt use it on the road to drive normally or anything.

i saw a guy nearly 10 years ago who was driving around in a modified panel van (warren mcdonald i think i was you can google him) but im pretty sure it was the levers and stuff, which i guess would be a hassle if you like to drive for enjoyment rather than just getting from a-b.

im sure it would be easier now days especially with all the drive by wire and junk.

the throttle would be pretty easy, even if it wasnt DBW but the bnrake might be a bit tricky.

i remember the ariso had an electronic brake booster, maybe something like that could be adapted, depending on the mechanics of how it works from factory. (i cant remember if the pedal was mechanical or just went to a switch/sensor)

the next problem may be the legality of it all, if it was for race only then you dont have to worry obviously, but im sure that anything 'off the shelf'' would be engineered and approved etc.

personally i would not worry even if you want to drive it on the street; if you have a well set up car (not dodgy cables going through the window etc) and you are obviously crippled then the cops would have to be pretty hard up to hassle you.

tell your mate to grab a copy of 'amputees monthly' or whatever its called from his prosthetists and there are heaps of places that can modify cars, but i be aware that they are pretty restricted to what they can offer you and dont usually have the ability to provide anything beyond what has allready been approved by the RTA (like the levers)

also do some reasearch in america they have so many more cipples there and so much more support for stuff like this, and dont think that any doctors etc in australia will know anything you have to do ALL the reasearch yourself.

cheers for that guys, ill keep researching.

Junior Member Conversion King TheStitt's Avatar

Talk to Rolf-ACt on these forums or 1JZ rolla im sure they would have some info for you
    ST177 UZS131 Crown Royal 'G' the pimping limo like daily 1UZFE 144rwkw

DST17T MS53 68 Crown Custom Wagon 7MGTE 266rwkw

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

Citroen used a powered, hydraulic braking system which required very minimal effort. I think it was the Citroen DS?

-RM

Blasphemist Chief Engine Builder Bananaman's Avatar

Anything including even a knob on the steering wheel is supposed to be engineered (in NSW, anyway) - bear this in mind if you want it legal. I broke my neck a few years back and after learning to walk again had to prove to an instructor and an assesor that i was ok to drive a car again (auto PS restricted to start with). These cars were equipped with just about every possible alternative of accesibility equipment as it was used for a variety of different people - was a lever system as people suggested, basically a push / pull setup. Push = stop, pull = go.

Depending on what he has done to himself, an amputee setup may not necessarily cater for him - given that someone who's lost a leg has full use of their hands. Someone who has broken their neck can lose full use of their legs and partial use of hands, meaning you may need something different to secure the hand. I'm gathering from what you're proposing that this isn't a problem for him though?

Zoom 138 or 139 (forget which) has a green s13 silvia with hideous wheels, that is set up for a paraplegic. I could probably scan the pics if it helps (am i allowed to post here?)
    KE20 CA18DET / RN25 12R / IS200 1G / NA MX5 B6

Toymods Club Member Conversion King big_zop's Avatar

Going on Bananamans post, there is another setup I have seen in a magazine (HPI) where are wheelchair bound person in Japan was hell bent on drifting so converted a manual JZX100 for use with just his two hands!

I cant search much at work, but there are a few videos of it including lots of information (in Japanese) about the operation of it - and one with Kazama who has a go of it as well. Though i dont know what might be available in English so it might be hard to find information on it, not to mention they might have different rules as well meaning some of the gear installed may not even be allowed here.

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mullett View Post
    Citroen used a powered, hydraulic braking system which required very minimal effort. I think it was the Citroen DS?

-RM
    The DS had the mushroom instead of a brake pedal - weird system really. Pretty sure the GS had it too, there was basically no "travel" in the "pedal" (just a big button really), the harder you pushed the faster the car stopped.
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed