Thread: hilux brake upgrade?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default hilux brake upgrade?

H all
    I read in another old post about a brake upgrade for rn85 hilux's using ba rotors and r32 callipers.
    My question is will that or any similar conversion work on a 2003, 2.7ltr 2wd hilux?
    thanks for any help.
    Cheers
    Adrian

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: hilux brake upgrade?

do they have the same style of front brake components? ie a stub axle,a bearing hub and removeable disc from that bearing hub? if so then yes mr spares on ebay can help with a kit and also hopper stoppers but they will be dearer, i have done the conversion on my RN90 2wd and the only issue i had was the BA rotors are drilled with quite large holes compared to the stud size and as the road wheel is the only thing holding the rotor on the clamping force isn't enough to hold the disc,by that i mean it won't go up and down or in and out it doesn't effect the rotating balance its just when you go from reverse to forward you can here a clunk as it rotates slightly on the centre hub,i can even feel it slightly in the brakepedal. I spoke to mr spares on ebay and he said noone has ever comlained about this before(bullshit i reckon)and that i should get some little spacers/bushes made up to slip over the studs to take up the clearance,he then went on to say i wouldn't need all the studs done just 2 would do. I have since organised another brake upgrade for a mates HQ and saw a better option, When they supply the same 300mm BA falcon rotor for the HQ they simply drill the holden stud pattern between the ford stud pattern as they are different PCD's

Im not to sure on the similarities. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I'll have a look and see what i find, but any help on the matter would be appreciated.
    cheers
    adrian

is a semi-motivated Domestic Engineer 1JZ~lux's Avatar

Check the DBA catalogue to see if the Gen 3 Lux's and Gen 4's use the same disc and measure the bolt spacing for the caliper mount. The bolt holes should be 100mm apart. If these match then you should be able to used the BA rotors and R32 calipers.
    The only other thing to check will be the size of the spacer you'll need to mount the caliper.
    Petrol is for washing parts, alcohol's for drinking but NITRO IS FOR RACING!
    My pictures, Returning some time in the distant future.
    RN85 Hilux + 1JZ-GTE = 298.0HP @ 14PSI -- 60' 1.956 ET 13.775 MPH 99.49
    Project Korruption - Stage 1: The Resto. KE35 Corolla Hardtop daily driver

ok cheers, ill try that and see how i go. Also is there a simple conversion to change from drums to disks on the back? and will i need to change master cylinders?
    thanks again
    adrian

Don't know what wheels you plan to run but i found out today that ford stocko pursuit type rims will fit with the R32,R33,R34 caliper, i had some already from a falcon ute that i used to run on the lux before i did the upgrade but they did not clear the calipers so i sourced some Territory rims, they are 17inch and had passenger car tyres on them when i got em so i just drove it till they wore out then i was gonna chase 17inch commercial tyres,the price and availability scared the shit out of me so next i looked at Rav4 steel wheels which are 16inch and much more in my price range for comm. tyres BUT they wouldn't fit over the centre hub so while at the tyre place and with the car jacked up already i went on the hunt in their yard for whateva steel rim looked like it would fit, came across this ford rim that had a different centre compared to mine and they fitted perfectly, he didn't know what model but guessed they were AUsedan definetly not BA, my falcon ute rims have the smaller holes in them and these new ones are quite larger,they are 15x6inch and clear the 300mm disc/caliper easily, i will now be able to go full lock again without scrubbing, i think the lux's look better with some profile on the tyre anyway,hope this helps.

I'm planning on running 15 x 8 inch sunraysias with 255x70x15 tyres of a 4wd hilux, planning on doing a fair bit of rough road driving but want to stick to 2wd.
    cheers
    adrian

good luck tryin to turn with those massive tyres, you'l need a lift kit,hehehe

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic rodi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goodwood View Post
    ok cheers, ill try that and see how i go. Also is there a simple conversion to change from drums to disks on the back? and will i need to change master cylinders?
    thanks again
    adrian
    Hi i have a rear 300mm disc conversion you might be interested in, just pm me and ill send all the details

Check these threads for your rear brakes
    How to: Supra MA70 rear discs to Hilux
    MA70 caliper, to Hilux diff bracket

As for rims and tyres, there's a lot of rims that have a high enough load rating but the bigger you go the less tyres you'll find and the more they'll cost. Depending on if you change the hub or not will also change what you can use with/without mod. The Hilux 4Runner rims are 5x114.3 PCD, 16x7.5" and fit over my setup but I have XF?? to BA billet hubs which remove the need for spacers so I'm not sure if they will hit the caliper on the setup your looking at. R32 rims may also fit (may need some machining of the center hole).

Hey Rodi i would be interested in the rear disc conversion too,300mm on the rear is massive! what calipers do you use?

R31 skyline calipers we do 2 sizes 270mm and 300mm, it,s a do it your self thing but very easy, if you send me your email by pm i'll get some step by step instructions to you, , $ wise expect it to cost you $300 depending on what you can do yourself

HI all, thanks again for all your help. given me lots to think about! A lift kit is on the cards to allow for the big tyres. some more power down the track would be nice too!
    Also im looking to change from my single cab to a dual cab so if any one wants a single cab, or is getting rid of a dual cab let me know!
    cheers
    adrian

Quote Originally Posted by mick08 View Post
    do they have the same style of front brake components? ie a stub axle,a bearing hub and removeable disc from that bearing hub? if so then yes mr spares on ebay can help with a kit and also hopper stoppers but they will be dearer, i have done the conversion on my RN90 2wd and the only issue i had was the BA rotors are drilled with quite large holes compared to the stud size and as the road wheel is the only thing holding the rotor on the clamping force isn't enough to hold the disc,by that i mean it won't go up and down or in and out it doesn't effect the rotating balance its just when you go from reverse to forward you can here a clunk as it rotates slightly on the centre hub,i can even feel it slightly in the brakepedal. I spoke to mr spares on ebay and he said noone has ever comlained about this before(bullshit i reckon)and that i should get some little spacers/bushes made up to slip over the studs to take up the clearance,he then went on to say i wouldn't need all the studs done just 2 would do. I have since organised another brake upgrade for a mates HQ and saw a better option, When they supply the same 300mm BA falcon rotor for the HQ they simply drill the holden stud pattern between the ford stud pattern as they are different PCD's
    If you use EL falcon studs the splines are longer and these will locate the disc or use a couple of roll pins

Just a not on the lift kit and I'm not a 100% if this is true for down here but it's in QLD, if your sticking to a 2WD then you should know it may be illeagal to move the spring from under the axle to ontop and visa versa.