Thread: 3SGTE Cam Profiles: Please explain!

Junior Member Grease Monkey 50RTD's Avatar

Default 3SGTE Cam Profiles: Please explain!

G'day Toyota people,

Im hoping some of you guys can shed some light on some funky 3s cams i recently aquired. I've been searching around the interweb and other sources trying to find some light-shedding information, but have confused myself so much that i've lost the plot, and keep having this recurring nightmare about an evil degree wheel that goes around reading incorrectly, causing people to wrongly set timing... its horrible!

Anyway, the first cam in question is an innocent looking intake cam, the only markings are 88460 which, i assume, is a 13501-88460 or 13502-88460 in toyota-speak. Only thing is, its got 10.1mm lift, which is a fair bit bigger than any standard 3s cam ive ever seen.

I took both to Tighe cams here in sunny Brisbane to be measured up and here are the results:

INTAKE CAM 88460

EXHAUST CAM 88362

So how do i read this chart when it comes to the duration? It seems every aftermarket cam's advertised duration is at a different lift, or dont specify the lift the duration is measured at? Some measure at 0.1mm, others at 0.020", others specify a 0.050" measurement etc.

My question is, according to these readouts, what would read the duration to be, comparable to the 'advertised duration' people carry on about.

Thanks everyone!

-Dan

EDIT: Would also love to see some exact spec of various 3s cams too if anyone has any info?
    Last edited by 50RTD; 10-10-2009 at 07:07 PM.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: 3SGTE Cam Profiles: Please explain!

well from what i can see, advertised duration is 289deg intake, and 295deg exhaust, but most good cam shops will look at the 50 thou reading.

Advertised duration like you said can be at any lift the manufacturer specifies (usually they dont say), but most will supply a 50 thou reading as this is some what an industry standard. so when comparing cams try to look at the 50 thou reading. also your intake cam can be read as a 39/70 at 10 thou, and your exhaust as 42/73.

to read advertised duration look at the valve lash reading which gives 0.010", then go across to the chart and match up the lift, which will give you the duration.

valve lash is the gap between the cam and the shim. so make sure when you install the cam you run 0.010" valve lash,
    Last edited by WhiteSx; 10-10-2009 at 11:42 PM. Reason: added info

Junior Member Grease Monkey 50RTD's Avatar

Default Re: 3SGTE Cam Profiles: Please explain!

Thanks WhiteSx!