Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: remove a supercharger out of 1990 toyota corolla

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default remove a supercharger out of 1990 toyota corolla

I just bought a 1990 toyota corolla for my 17 year old son who is going to get his P's in the near future and the car comes stock with a supercharger.
    I was wondering if there is any one out there that knows how to remove it and allow the car to still work properly.
    i want to try and do it myself but i'm not so sure whether i will be able to do it with out technical help and with technical help comes money and so i want to try and avoid doing that so some advice would be helpful.
    thanks

Default Re: remove a supercharger out of 1990 toyota corolla

it is a 4AGZE Super Charged Engine
    the things i need to know are does it have lower compression?
    will it run okay without the supercharger?
    i assume simply removing the belt will not be a very affective way of doing it
    can i just disconnect the hose from the supercharger to the intake and will it work okay like that?
    i'd imagine i will have to get the fuel mixture remapped
    will the existing intake and injection system work or will i have to replace it with a standard setup?

Toymods Club Member Too Much Toyota TooF's Avatar

if you want to just remove the blower from the exiting engine instead of replacing it with an actual NA engine it will be hardly driveable. with 8.0:1 compression the 4azge essentially doesnt work without boost.

thanks for that mate
    i might need to think about buying a whole new engine for it then but i don't know how much i could pick one up for
    do you have a ball park figure of what it might cost for an engine?

whats your plan ? to make the car pplater legal for him to drive ?

youd need to swap in a complete 4age setup in there which will require at minimum engine, loom and computer, you can run the same box although its hardly ideal.

but.... part of the p-plate restriction is that you cant drive a modified car requiring a engineering certificate. the change to NA would require an engineering certification to make it road legal which in turn makes it illegal for your son to drive. at least thats my understanding of the regulations , perhaps they would look the other way given the modifications were a "backwards" step to make the car pplater friendly. but if push came to shove if there was an incident i doubt there would be too much leniency.

a complete 4age can be had for ~$1000 or less (often much less) but remember they are a 20yo engine now days so condition can vary obvisouly.

it is possible to make the 4agze (super charged) engine run without the blower. you would simply remove the blower and make a dummy pipe between where the blower inlet is (just after the throttle) to the inlet manifold and you would have a naturally aspirated 4agze. but it will drive like a read dog.

it would cost near nil just some piping. you can simulate this sort of setup by simply disengaguing the supercharger clutch. it uses an electromagnet clutch like an air con. it you look at the blower on top of it just near the pulley there is a wire you can unplug which is the trigger wire to the clutch. take it for a drive like this and youll see very quickly what the 8.0:1 engine feels like without boost... it goes about as well as a diesel ute with a tonne on the back. the naturally aspirated engine runs 9.5 or 10.5:1 compression so makes a big big difference.

i guess that all makes it as clear as mud ahahha

Why am i always a.. Domestic Engineer RAAAH23's Avatar

Engine changes with the same block type do not need an engineers certificate

taken from RTA Vehicle Modification Guide.

Do I need an engineering signatory for minor modifications?
    Vehicle modifications fall into three distinct categories:
    - ‘Owner certified’ minor modifications which can be accepted for registration purposes without formal
    certification....

Examples of minor (owner certified) modifications are:
    Engine changes where the capacity increase is less than 15% above the maximum size engine available for the
    vehicle (providing no major structural modifications are necessary and where noise and/or exhaust emission
    ADRs apply, all standard equipment such as carburettors, exhaust systems, exhaust gas recirculating valves,
    oxygen sensors and catalytic convertors relating to noise and emission control are retained and operate
    correctly).

honestly if it was me id keep the engine with the sc and give the RTA a 4AGE engine number. then remove all decals and anything that says supercharged off the body and engine. the cops wont know its an sc just say its a power steering pump or air con pump

but thats just me
    Cheers, Alex

- 1976 TA23 2T-GTE GT3076 ID1000cc E85 Haltech PS1000, W58, G Series Diff, B45 Simmons

but a 4age to 4agze is generally accepted at a 70% increase in capacity (forced induction multipler of 1.7x swept capacity)

changing from a 4age to a 4agze requires certification (all be it a fairly straight forward one). going down a capacity class i couldnt tell you what the requirements are.

thank heaps for the replys fellas.

here's the thing, this car was not standard with the supercharged engine. it has had the imported engine fitted and it is enginered for it.

so that may make the stealth idea a bit difficult, but if t P plater cant drive an enginerred car, well that leave him right up the creek.

( BTW you never could buy supercharged corrolla in OZ could you?)

no, sc was never brought here.

if it was an na originally presumably you could fit the na powertrain and get it certified as being returned to stock and you should be fine. but it really seems like a lot of hassle for a 20yo corolla.

i am thinking it will be more trouble than it is worth too.

I may not go ahead with the deal now. keep looking for a standard one instead.

I haveny even driven the car it this stage or seen it.

Does anyone know what they go like?

Susposed to be 130kw, so it sohuld be a fair litle pocket rocket (well not by fast car standards, but not to shabby iether)

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Why would you even consider buying a modified car for your son when you know he can't legally drive a modified car?? I must be missing something here, I mean it's not like unmodified 1990 Corolla's are hard to find.

Don Mega Chief Engine Builder X kyle X's Avatar

Don't go ahead with the deal...

Buy your son a NA corolla, ae82, ae92/3 they have the 4age engine which makes for a good little car...

Why would u want to go for all that trouble of removing the SC and all that when it will run like a POS...

Just buy a car that is road legal, easily registered and insured and have no dramas when something goes wrong
    The GOD HAND AW11 - sold

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...ight=kyle+AW11

AIDS infestation - HCR32 Skyline - the jesus foot?

Why am i always a.. Domestic Engineer RAAAH23's Avatar

hes already bought the car..
    Cheers, Alex

- 1976 TA23 2T-GTE GT3076 ID1000cc E85 Haltech PS1000, W58, G Series Diff, B45 Simmons

what happened was I saw the car on ebay and I didnt know if P platers could drive SC engines. (i know they cant drive turbos)

so i showed it to my son and suggested he reasearch to find out.

well he got reall excited cause it looked nice and then he bid on it through my account and won it for $2500.

i have contacted the seller and appologies for what happened, and then thought if we could remove the SC without trouble or expence, he could drive it like that for a few years and then put it back on,

i supected it would be low compression and that it woyldnt be so easy but ni harm in asking :-)

thatnk for all your help guys, really appreciated.

Forums rule hey hey, they can bring out the boest in comunity