Thread: TA22 Carpet

Too old to be a Grease Monkey

Default TA22 Carpet

Hi,
    Have trolled the TA22 info on this forum and have a couple of conflicting opinions on which are the best carpets in terms of fit.

Can anyone comment on whether the ebay ones are a perfect fit or any other types? Think that there was one available through SC auto?
    The TA22 I have is from 71 so one of the early ones if it makes any difference.
    Thanks
    Nathan

dont work in my backyard Domestic Engineer pandaah's Avatar

Default Re: TA22 Carpet

getting one made from a trimmer is the best way to get carpet man, nothings a better fit than somethings thats made for your car..

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

one issue i found with these cars is that the original carpet only goes up to the edge and is held on with clips where it overlaps a factory vynal that goes up the side sills and back seat kickpanel etc
    one of the aftermarket carpet manufacturers offered to leave extra on to fully trim it but you have to heat the fold yourself.
    Toyota Hilux 1998 ln172r x-cab D/T
    Toyota Corolla 1986 ae82 twin cam 16

I love aardvarks Backyard Mechanic Invid's Avatar

I bought mine from Queensland Car Carpets (http://www.qmcc.com.au/) and they were pretty good, had overlap that needed to be trimmed off so that it fit perfectly. Pity I can't cut straight. I ordered mine through SuperCheap of all places
    1972 TA22 2TGZEU - Now with Z Powaaah! (Go, go Gadget Torque!)
    See pics on http://sebastianbecher.com.au - In the automotive photo gallery
    Proud supporter of the http://www.canberracelica.org

So that fitted well Invid?
    What did they set you back and how long was the delivery?

Cheers
    Nathan

I love aardvarks Backyard Mechanic Invid's Avatar

Did require about half a day of fiddling around to get it right. The carpets came with about 30cm of excess carpet on the edges so getting it lined up was the trickier part. The carpets also didn't have any holes for handbrake, gear lever seatbelt mounts etc. so these had to be worked out the cut and then checked and so on. The final result was good and the carpet fit pretty well. It wasn't an exact fit, but I probably could have spent more time and effort to make it fit better.

From memory they were $200-300 for a complete set but this was 5 years ago.
    1972 TA22 2TGZEU - Now with Z Powaaah! (Go, go Gadget Torque!)
    See pics on http://sebastianbecher.com.au - In the automotive photo gallery
    Proud supporter of the http://www.canberracelica.org

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

From experience, and listening to others, you will never get a really great fit with moulded carpets in these cars, as they were not designed for it. The trims don't have the necessary clearances to tuck the carpet under. So if you can get stitched carpets made in the factory style, then that will be your best fitment.

Out of the moulded carpets, Knox has always come up with the highest praise and are available from Ebay, Autobarns, and I think SC Auto.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Thanks Guys
    Will try to track down a Knox carpet through Ebay.
    Cheers
    Nathan

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

I bought moulded carpet for my KE20. It is crap. It doesn't fit right and the quality is very ordinary. I had both Crowns done at a trimmer and it's just so much better. It only cost about $100 more than the moulded stuff.

Cheers, Greg.

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

Noof, the ebay carpet and Knox carpet are one and the same thing, just some guy adding extra dollars to turn a profit on Ebay. Knox/Ebay carpets are moulded for TA23/RA23 and RA28 NOT TA22 as advertised.

Tru Fit carpets in Victoria have been supplying my TA22 carpets for over 10 years, they are bound at the edges and simply need holes cut for the shifter, handbrake and seatbelt bolts. A drop in operation with no additional trimming required.

cheers Chuck.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Tru Fit is the brand I got for my KE20. As I said the quality is shit. In my opinion.

Cheers, Greg.