Thread: Blower resistor smoking

Junior Member Grease Monkey Camryman's Avatar

Default Blower resistor smoking

Does anyone have any experience with repairing the blower fan in a car, in this case an SV21 Camry?

The fan has 4 speeds. The first two lower speeds stopped working a couple of years ago. Now the second fastest speeds has a burning smell before producing black smoke after 5 mins but full speed is fine so I'm assuming it is a resistor problem, thinking about to the days I played around with electric R/C cars with 3 speed controllers.

Are the resistors generic where you can just go to Jaycar for spares? Or would I have to go replace the whole blower unit?

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Default Re: Blower resistor smoking

Just replace the blower resistor. Will be held in by one or two screws somewhere that there is airflow.
    Probably underneath the blower unit or in some ducting somewhere.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Its pretty common for blwer resistors to break, resulting in one or more of the speeds not working.

Pull it out and have a look, but beware they are a PRICK to resolder.
    You *may* be able to replace them with one of those high wattage resistors from Jaycar, but its not something I've looked in to.
    The black smoke will probably be caused by something that has come in contact with the resistor.

Pull it out, have a look, it may be easier to get one from a wreck.
    I've never priced one new.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

new fan speed resistors are ~$50 from toyota, think an ae112 corolla one fits and is half the price, don't quote me on the corolla model tho

Thanks, I'll check it out. In my Gregory's service manual there is no mention whatsoever about blower resistors so I wasn't sure if it was a replaceable part. It only describes how to pull the blower out.

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

FWIW, they're usually in the duct behind the glove box.

Altia ER34 GTT Domestic Engineer JetspeedCamry's Avatar

Remove the bottom "panel" under the dash on the passenger side. Stick you head under there and you'll see this black thing with 2 screws either side of it and an electrical connection. The black thing is mounted in the fan housing. It's just a matter of removing the connector and the 2 screws and swapping it over. I got a new one for my VZV21 from Toyota for $40. The actual unit is quite small, and so swapping with generic resistors would be difficult to fit in the existing hole. I doubt you could get it to fit. The standard resistors are literally just windings of metal.
    Kind Regards,
    Kurt.

1998 ER34 ニッサン スカイラインGT- T
    RB25DET 5 Speed Manual | Blitz SE Return Flow FMIC | Greddy Profec II Spec B BC | Apexi N1 Turbo Back Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by JetspeedCamry View Post
    Remove the bottom "panel" under the dash on the passenger side. Stick you head under there and you'll see this black thing with 2 screws either side of it and an electrical connection. The black thing is mounted in the fan housing. It's just a matter of removing the connector and the 2 screws and swapping it over. I got a new one for my VZV21 from Toyota for $40. The actual unit is quite small, and so swapping with generic resistors would be difficult to fit in the existing hole. I doubt you could get it to fit. The standard resistors are literally just windings of metal.
    That is good to hear. For some reason my mechanic seems to think you can't get resistors for an SV21 anymore.

Just an update. Because my car is an Ultima and has "auto air" ie push button controls, the resistors are $110. I think this will be a project for next year when things are quite again.

Gearwhore. Backyard Mechanic

I'm sure you could make something work with a couple of large Jaycar resistors in parallel.
    The above opinion is just that - my opinion. It is not shared by any business that I am currently or have previously been involved with, nor any of their employee's.

Altia ER34 GTT Domestic Engineer JetspeedCamry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the_random_hero View Post
    I'm sure you could make something work with a couple of large Jaycar resistors in parallel.
    Fitting them in is the problem.

And my car's got the push button controls and the resistor for mine was $40-50.
    Kind Regards,
    Kurt.

1998 ER34 ニッサン スカイラインGT- T
    RB25DET 5 Speed Manual | Blitz SE Return Flow FMIC | Greddy Profec II Spec B BC | Apexi N1 Turbo Back Exhaust

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Push button control's shouldn't make a diffence.
    Infact some of Toyota's push button's only have 3 speeds, where as the manual ones have 4.

Less speeds = cheaper.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS