Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T56 adaptor plate for 1uz

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic TA22 1MZ's Avatar

Default T56 adaptor plate for 1uz

OK, so I have been researching a 6 speed conversion for the 1UZ for a while. Reasons being, I'm sure there are plenty of Soarer guys looking for a nice highway style box that can found for a decent price and is a cheaper alternative to the R154 conversion. If you check out EBAY, there are alway Tremec T56 boxes going for $1,000 - $1,500.
    So, I started out by tracing the Tremec's gearbox pattern and 1UZ engine blocks pattern. I worked out the central point for the two and overlayed it to come up with an adaptor that would bolt a 1UZ auto bellhousing to the Tremec T56 gearbox.

The drawing was then drawn up in Solidworks and a 2mm prototype was cut. I checked it out to ensure everything lined up as it should.
    Then the appropriate sized adaptor was cut out.

You can see that there are two pieces which are cut seperately and then welded together. The cost would of been too prohibitive to cut it out of 1 very thick piece of plate and a lot of wastage would occur.

All bolts up perfectly to the bellhousing
    Last edited by TA22 1MZ; 21-08-2009 at 07:36 AM.

Default Re: T56 adaptor plate for 1uz

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Toy77's Avatar

nice work Jack.....
    Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines. – Enzo Ferrari

hey mate, you know that design exists already nicely done though, looks good. youre happy its all super accurate?

and with the flywheel, why not just make a simple regular flywheel, or evan just buy one of the small (and cheap) cromo jobs from nz, and and sandwich in the flex plate. a fair bit less effort! more than happy to watch you do it your way though, it'll look great, but yeah, easier ways to do it to!
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator
    E46 M3 Nürburgring Nordschleife - 8.38

The T56 design does exist to suit the clutch fork style release bearing setup. It can also be utilised, but needs cutouts for the concentric bearings hydraulic lines.
    In relation to the flywheel, it will cost me bugger all to make and will be lighter than the NZ units. Plus I will look at integrating the ring gear onto this flywheel I am making so you wont need the flex plate at all. All up, will weigh around 1.8-2kgs.

Junior Member Carport Converter RA35GT's Avatar

Neil from Rush Imports is working on one as well, which I've been waiting on. (No price yet)

How much do you think yours will cost dood?
    1977 RA35 Celica GT - I4 | 2007 GSV40R Aurion - V6
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

Quote Originally Posted by 7M-GTE MX73 View Post
    Neil from Rush Imports is working on one as well, which I've been waiting on. (No price yet)

How much do you think yours will cost dood?
    I was also speaking with Neil over the last few months. Unfortunately he is being stuffed around with his kit, so will be a little while off yet. I am looking to have this adaptor cast up into the bellhousing and just sell it as a complete bellhousing moving forward. In the meantime, once I have finalised the setup with my clutch and 110% happy with the alignment of everything, I can get a few of these adaptors made up. Happy to look into flywheels also, but it mean that you'd need to run a Tilton 7.25" clutch setup. Mind you, they are cheap as chips from the US, just check out EBAY.
    Adaptor plates as they stand, will cost around the $250 mark.

Junior Member Carport Converter RA35GT's Avatar

Yeah, Rush has set the date back a few times, he must be sick of me asking by now LOL.

I think a custom flywheel + tilton clutch is a little overkill for me LOL.
    1977 RA35 Celica GT - I4 | 2007 GSV40R Aurion - V6
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

Any idea on a price for the full kit, IE adaptor, clutch, flywheel, etc? Very sweet bit of work.

-RM.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic slipway's Avatar

i would be quite interested in getting one if the bolt pattern work with a jz auto bell.

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

Jack,

If your making adapters to suit a 1UZ bell housing then you could market it as an A34# - T56 adapter kit and sell to a much broader market than just 1uz owners. let them sort out there own clutches though as im sure most ppl will want to run different things.

Cheers
    Linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Hey Jack, great job,If you are getting that fly wheel made i would be interested in one as well.let me know the price if you are interested.also what spline cluch disc did you get as ther seems to be a few of them. top idea using those slightly used nascar clutches.

cheers, Al.

Junior Member Grease Monkey RA40-Rossco's Avatar

Keen on one of these if you go ahead, also what vairation T56 is the one your using?
    Toyota AE93 Corolla 20v Silvertop
    BF Mk II Xr6 Turbo Ute (tickled to 316kw)
    Datsun 180sx turbo
    Forester GT

Hi Mullet
    Adaptor plate will be around $250, flywheel to suit Tilton Triple plate I'm not too sure on yet, still waiting on pricing.

Slipway, Linden has confirmed that these will work with a JZ auto bellhousing

Linden, thanks for the confirmation mate, I thought it would be the case, but didnt have a bellhousing to be sure.

AL510, the clutch plates are the 26 spline GM pattern. Have a look on ebay US and there are heaps of twin and triple plate setups to suit either Ford or GM. I think the yanks usually refer to the GM one as 'fine spline'.

RA40-Rossco, I'm using a VX HSV T56 box mate. I'm quite certain that they are all the same apart from the ones that use a clutch fork and throwout bearing setup opposed to the concentric release bearing.

Junior Member Grease Monkey RA40-Rossco's Avatar

where do i sign? - im in if your going to get a batched machined up
    Toyota AE93 Corolla 20v Silvertop
    BF Mk II Xr6 Turbo Ute (tickled to 316kw)
    Datsun 180sx turbo
    Forester GT