Thread: 20V Trumpet setup

Junior Member Grease Monkey GEMTA22's Avatar

Default 20V Trumpet setup

Been looking at getting Trumpets for my 20v Silvertop.

Various brands claim to more power than others.
    Few options i've considered are below plus looking at getting something custom made.

Firstly Apex Engineering -
    Offer bellmouth trumpets to suit 20 valve silvertop quad throttle bodies.
    These are 70mm long with a rounded bellmouth and tapered walls. They are 2-piece aluminium - interference fit between mounting plates and trumpets with an additional epoxy fillet for added strength.

The walls are smooth from mouth to throttle with no joints on the inside to upset airflow dynamics.

Secondly - http://www.tweakit.net/shop/product_...oducts_id=1008

Our Pro-series ram tubes have been designed using advanced computer modelling and a flow bench to obtain the best flow. They feature a full 270deg return on the bell mouth and between 6.9deg and 9deg Taper for additional air draw. They are deep blue anodized for a smart and durable finish. The pro- series ram tubes can be shortened, for best performance in mind our ram tubes are around 50 mm longer than most common ones. The mounting bases are included and have a split allowing them to be clamped with the recessed allen key bolt.

Will fit Toyota 4AGE 20V AE101 Silvertop engines.
    Dimensions: 45mm x 105mm long

Thirdly - Apex engineering are willing to do custom made to order specs for the trumpets.

So what setup are you guys running ?
    Also whats the optimal setup to get the most hp out of the motor ?

Engine will be going in for a tune very soon so like to get the intake setup completed then get the tune.

-------ALL.44U------- Domestic Engineer old_school_jap1's Avatar

Default Re: 20V Trumpet setup

in general the shorter the intake, from the end of the trumpet to the intake valve, the better it is for power up top and the worse it is for torque down low and vice versa
    RN16 Hilux; 18RG swap underway http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40561

Quote Originally Posted by ae71 View Post
    but im trying to use bolts with this car.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Check out the T3 velocity stacks, as they can be had a considerable amount cheaper and have been dyno proved to about 160rwhp by various members.

Unfortunetly, they won't fit inside the ST or BT airbox, so you will need to custom make it or get the one from Tweakit...

I wasn't too impressed with the Tweakit Velocity stacks, as they are thin metal units... whereas the T3 are solid aluminium turned on a lath.

Hopefully, soon, I'll have some dyno results up on my blog... But also keep in mind this is for a BT 20v.
    MIKE.

toyota-less Carport Converter skiddz's Avatar

roadsailing i think thats his user name, made up some flanges and used trumpets from JNT
    2T out 4A in....

4A out 3VZ in. 3vzfe rebuild, RWD-ising, and conversion for ta22

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Gem's setup is in an AE86 Spoontah, i just finished the conversion for him last week.
    There is no factory airbox, and currently he is using the stock trumpets turned upwards to clear the brake booster.

I recommended he post up the question cos i have read some people mention that various types of trumpets foul on the brake booster (technotoy tuning?)......

... so the question really is - What trumpets will fit the silvertop 20V in an AE86, and clear the brake booster?
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Breaker of all things aka Backyard Mechanic Chrisso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skiddz View Post
    roadsailing i think thats his user name, made up some flanges and used trumpets from JNT
    I've got this setup. JNT were great, plenty of options and were helpful when I rang them.
    AE86 4 shades of silver - The Lone Ranger's steed is on the road again!
    AE86 shell - waiting for a donor car from the auctions.

Junior Member Grease Monkey rick q's Avatar

I made my first set out of 50 dia aluminium tube with home-made bellmouths (115 long and obviously straight sided)- the current set is from JNT (70mm long and tapered). JNT were quite inexpensive, and quick to deliver.

The only drama is making your own flanges, though access to even a small lathe makes it pretty easy. There was someone on this site selling flanges a while ago - that would be worth chasing up as well.
    Cheers ..... Rick Jones
    Fraser Clubman

thanks Karl for clarifying it up abit more.

So i decided on the ones i'm going to get.

There from Apex engineering and are custom made to 50mm length.

Junior Mint 1st year Apprentice Secks's Avatar

As has just been said, you could try a custom flange, and a throttle body setup off a gsxr1100 or something... injectors etc to suit of course. But they are short. >-<
    Or theres a Keihin roller guided flat slide setup to suit the 4age out there somewhere.
    Or you could shop for these. http://www.keihin-us.com/fcr.htm reports seem to say they are peaky things though, suited to high rpm.
    Or DIY. Always awesome to create something that works. Flange + thick alloy tube + old dellorto carby butterflys + TPS = win.
    Tuning of length depends on where your peak power output will be, rpm wise. As was said earlier, higher rpm means shorter inlet tube length (measured from the inlet valves, and lower rpm is a longer tube, although the 'perfect' tube length could be well over 15" for a torquey motor, or low powerband.
    This is where 'joe average' compromises are made.
    Sucks.
    1991 Corolla Seca SX Ghetto Turbo and tuning coming soon

"I didn't match the shape, I just stuck it in there and broke it" G. Quagmire.

Geez, thats a interesting concept.

Have you seen the setups you mentioned in real life ?

In real life..... no.
    But on forums etc, yes. The Japanese seem to like fitting the fcr carbs to 4age track motors. fast response and im sure the induction would sound wicked.
    But i have found a few more pics, and even a do-it-yourself guide on fitting the fcr's to a 4age.
    Just learn japanese and youre away.

The how-to:
    http://www.geocities.jp/koma_ae86/ae86_fcr1.htm

Fitted pics of a few systems.
    http://gazz.221616.com/img_u/album/4...742_normal.jpg
    http://www.club4ag.com/faq_and_tech_...rottle_16V.jpg
    http://media.photobucket.com/image/k...010745copy.jpg

you could have a look round this site too...
    http://www.scuderiatopolino.com/news.php?id=2

If i was going to do a cheap weapon setup for a 4age, i'd start at a motorcycle wreckers, and try to obtain the throttle bodies and injector setup off maybe a gsxr1100 or a hayabusa. Closer to 1600cc so a lil less fiddling perhaps. Somehow i doubt it. Make the adapter to suit the 4age head from a lil plate alloy and some heavy alloy tube, and maybe just go buy a set of fancy trumpets... or just make em too.
    www.billzilla.org is a wealth of info on anything 4age, motor or diy performance. I learnt a lot off this site years ago.
    anyway, good luck.
    Would sound evil at 9000rpm too.

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

my ears were burning

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=28289

having said that i'd love to fit carbs to a 4AGE, they smell as good as they sound!
    like to drift? live in victoria?
    www.vicdrift.com

now targeting: targets

formerly shinybluesteel

using a pair of sidedraft webers with injectors inserted instead of the old fuel arranngement? I'd do that.
    best of both worlds with the tunebility of todays ems.

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

According to my simulations with the Blacktop, the best gains overall were achieved with a very short trumpet. 30mm max length.
    This was simulated, and a blacktop so YMMV...

Junior Member Carport Converter Billzilla's Avatar

A very rough chart to give an idea of about how long to make the inlet system.

You can get it far more accurate with something like Engine Analyser Pro though.
    www.billzilla.org
    Toymods founding member #3