Thread: RA28 rear end options

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Bazooka's Avatar

Default RA28 rear end options

I am looking into upgrade rear end options for the RA28 and have found bits and pieces but nothing too conclusive.
    I was personally thinking of a Hilux rear end but can anyone narrow it down to a model that would be best to use? Anyone know the axle width I should be looking for?
    I would also like something that could use an LSD and disc brake rear end. These do not have to be factory but upgradeable to.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: RA28 rear end options

Try this thread for Hilux disk brake upgrade; http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=18913, As for which diff RN25 Hilux is the closest 1380mm I believe from drum to drum. Heaps of How To information on here just have to hunt around a bit more that should start you off. LSD readily available for all G series axles.

Good Luck with the conversion.
    Aaron

Thanks Aaron. I have since bookmarked that page and will read up on it. Looks like exactly what I needed to know about the rear discs.
    I have read about people using an LSD from a Supra. Is this the one I need to look for to fit the RN25 rear end??
    Sorry but I don't have a lot of knowledge when it comes to this part of the car. How does one distinguish a G series axle anyway?

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Supra is an option but quite expensive, they run a Torsen diff in some models but you need the specific one, A series auto or 5 speed I believe, the six speed has a B series and not all A series diffs work either. IMO it's easier to use a Hilux LSD (clutch pack style) not that great though or use one of the 4wd types like a Detroit or something along those lines.

As for the G series they have an 8inch centre and 30 spline axles, various different widths depending on model of vehicle, 6 stud and 5 stud options available. Your best off with the 5 stud 1380mm option, hard to find these days though because everyone wants one for everything from datsuns to Rollas to celica's etc. Depending on your front setup you can use the 1420mm option from RN40, easier to find but you need a larger offset wheel, to make the width correct.

Aaron.

Thanks Aaron much appreciated.
    The hunt is on for an RN25 rear end.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

YOu will have a hard time finding an RN2* hilux diff.... they are pretty rare these days.

For an equally good conversion - have a look at the volvo diff conversion thread below:
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=1362

The good thing about the volvo is that it comes with disc brakes already fitted
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl View Post
    YOu will have a hard time finding an RN2* hilux diff.... they are pretty rare these days.

For an equally good conversion - have a look at the volvo diff conversion thread below:
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=1362

The good thing about the volvo is that it comes with disc brakes already fitted
    Yeah if I get desperate maybe but I would prefer to stick to the Toyota option if I can. I'm in no real rush to find anything so I'm sure something will come by.