Thread: AW11 Wiring issues after conversion

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

Default AW11 Wiring issues after conversion

Hi, I just completed an AW11 4A-GZE engine conversion, which is supposed to be entirely plug and play. However I have had some issues with teh wiringz. The car would not crank from the key at first, which we found was due to the starter relay not getting any power. There was still power off the wire just after the ignition barrel so the fault mustve been somewhere further down the line.

As a temporary measure we ran a new wire to the starter relay. This got the car to start a few times until the "AM2" fuse started to blow. I looked in teh bgb and found the fuse on the wiring diagrams.

Now whenever I tried to crank from the key this fuse would blow and then half the dash lights would die. Eventually the fuse stopped blowing and I wasnt able to start the car from the key anymore (but still works by pressing the starter relay with the ignition to "ON"). My tacho and thermos are now also dead and the water temp gauge snaps off the chart.

Anyone got ideas? I'm guessing there is a fault in this wire somewhere between the ignition switch and the AM2 fuse. Would this also result in my other electrical issues or have some other wires given up the ghost too??

p.s im not good with electrics........ or much else for that matter
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: AW11 Wiring issues after conversion

Hey TRDee...

Check your O2 Sensor wire... It's a common problem with Hilux's and AW11's, and I had exactly this problem too... I was totally suprised when I pulled the O2 sensor, and it wouldn't blow the AM2 fuse.

I had the exact same problem, and everybody was saying it was the O2 sensor... After looking at the wiring diagram, I was totally convinced it was NOT the O2 sensor... but decided to listen, and it was an easy enough step to try, simply unplugging the O2 sensor... Sure enough, it was the problem, and it didn't blow the AM2 fuse anymore.

But this is just speaking from experience... might be other things.

MIKE.

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

the O2 sensor did take a pounding when removing the engine IIRC, or was that the one from the NA?

either way, they are a damn easy thing to knock in the AW11 being so close to the firewall so you may well be onto something.
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

Don Mega Chief Engine Builder X kyle X's Avatar

The NA ones was fubar....think the ZE one was ok...but worth a go
    The GOD HAND AW11 - sold

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...ight=kyle+AW11

AIDS infestation - HCR32 Skyline - the jesus foot?

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

the problem is the AM2 fuse isnt blowing anymore..... because there seems not to be getting any current to it anymore when i crank the key and my thermos/tacho are now dead. i think i killed the wiring to it
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta