Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Revised Reputation Permissions

Gaters gonna Gate Conversion King Stomps's Avatar

Default Re: Revised Reputation Permissions

interesting..

dont get me wrong... rep based only on technical savvy would make rep actually worth something... but that would require everyone going back to 0.. or 10.. or whatever...

and rep only being allowed in the tech section... that way rep would mean something and it wouldnt get out of control..

then rep would be worth something..

until then, all rep is; is a measure of how much funny shit you post, smart ass comments you post, how many people mate rep you etc... so yeah, i believe it is a good cause to clean it up... however

i personally thing the classifieds section is great, coz there is a good concentration of Toyota gear in one place.. saves me the time of looking all over the place..

either way, to me its just a forum, i dont take most of what people say on here seriously.. if i need toyota specific info, ill talk to my engine builder..

anyway.. have fun cleaning all this shit up...

Stomps

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Stomps View Post
    dont get me wrong... rep based only on technical savvy would make rep actually worth something... but that would require everyone going back to 0.. or 10.. or whatever...
    Watch this space.

and rep only being allowed in the tech section... that way rep would mean something and it wouldnt get out of control..

then rep would be worth something..
    Agreed. But also some good info is in the gen car section, and also in members rides. We can't watch everyhting so it wont be in members rides. We will be watching how rep goes in the gen car and remove it, and hopefully the offenders, if it goes pear shaped.

Yes, a lot of shit to clean up, but it can be nuked and rebuilt like the phoenix.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Gaters gonna Gate Conversion King Stomps's Avatar

cool..

meh.. i dont care if my rep goes back to 0 and stays there...

i rarely sell shit on here anymore...

as long as access is not blocked completely, i can still buy things.. which is what i want..

also.. +rep for being cool

Stomps

edit... Weeeee Home time...
    Last edited by Stomps; 06-08-2009 at 07:02 PM. Reason: odwal sie z pytaniami

om nom nom Backyard Mechanic CheeseBiscuits's Avatar

I think the reputation system is seriously flawed. Thus, no matter how you modify the rules, it will always be either too restrictive, or abused. So I think that it should be deleted entirely.

If a member creates what would be a rep worthy post or guide, why not link it in their signature?

As for access to the classifieds, I think a system such as OCAUs' would be good. Where a user has to be a forum member for a certain period of time before they can see/access) the classifieds forum.

Longs to be a Conversion King RObErT_RaTh's Avatar

I ask, what is the goal of the rep system??? Is it a substitue for post counts to prove a members worth on a forum? Is it to weed out dodgy sellers that are here for a quick buck and not contribute to the community? I think we need to be sure what we want to gain from the rep system and then decide whether to keep it, change it, or remove it all together.

Like someone has already said, it doesn't matter if you can't rep a post in one section, just find another post by that user and rep them where it will let you. Buddy rep will happen no matter what as long as repping is still around. Currently you must 'spread the love' before repping the same people over and over and this is great to help slow down the buddy repping but the system will never be perfect.

Hi,

No, it won't be perfect. And, while ever people buddy rep nothing we put in place will be perfect.

A trading rep system could and would be abused in the same manner.

That is why we like all forum members to be invovled and do the right thing and rep for useful information and flag down those that abuse the system.

The purpose for rep was to show how someone has contributed to the forums with Toyota knowledge. It was reflect the tech input someone has, but as all sections had the ability to add rep it was soon abused and used for LOL posts also... and then came buddy rep.

The use of rep for limiting immediate access to classifieds was, at best, a crude extemporisation of rep usage, but given the version of forum software we had back then, that was all we could do.

The new software is much more powerful and has various attributes and programmable features that can offer better value for tech rep, trader/buyer rep and other such things.

seeyuzz
    river

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RObErT_RaTh View Post
    I ask, what is the goal of the rep system??? Is it a substitue for post counts to prove a members worth on a forum? Is it to weed out dodgy sellers that are here for a quick buck and not contribute to the community? I think we need to be sure what we want to gain from the rep system and then decide whether to keep it, change it, or remove it all together.

Like someone has already said, it doesn't matter if you can't rep a post in one section, just find another post by that user and rep them where it will let you. Buddy rep will happen no matter what as long as repping is still around. Currently you must 'spread the love' before repping the same people over and over and this is great to help slow down the buddy repping but the system will never be perfect.
    this then promotes "spreading the love" type rep where people randomly rep others so that they can then rep the person they originally wanted to. i've done this previously before i knew better
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Opinionated Arsehole Backyard Mechanic

Edited post.
    Last edited by 4DaDrift; 16-12-2009 at 06:37 PM.

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by 4DaDrift View Post
    Guess I know the choice that would logically be made...
    And what choice would that be?

Also, I don't get the bit where it says "In the beginning, there were no rules" and the next paragraph it says "Rules were made, preventing this corrupt trade of reps, but Old Money was allowed to keep their ill-gotten gains and continue to trade with each other, increasing their wealth."

If there were initially no rules, then there cannot be corruption and nothing was ill gotten.

Actually, it is not about rep and how it can be twisted to fit into some simplified concept of wealth, but more about forums and how they appear to follow the path of a growing society.

In the beginning was the tribe. It was close knit and worked together. Tribal law was based upon respect for each other and to do the right thing to help the tribe as a whole. But as the tribe expands and gets larger, you start to have a society. The society, by its larger size and more diverse population, challenges the tribal laws and therefore necessitates the introduction of rules and governance of the population. Without this governance the society would free-fall into chaos. Most understand and respect the need for new laws and for these laws to be upheld, but as the society keeps growing there is the element that fights the system and uses loop holes in the laws for self gain. Where once the simple tribal rules of respect and self-moral governance were adhered and respected, now laws have to be introduced to provide this moral judgement. The old tribal members shake their heads in dismay to see that such basic concepts have to be written as law, and the new comers raise their hands in angst that there are so many rules. The bigger the society gets, the more diverse will be its people, and with this diversity comes a wide spectrum of attitudes and beleifs. Laws will always have to be made and tuned to keep the society running as efficiently as possible, while allowing as much freedom as possible for the population. However, the innocent freedom of the old tribal ways is long gone, along with the inherent respect for the tribe and what it stands for. In the tribal days the population stood for each other and worked hard to help and promote the tribe. Now, in the larger society, people stand alone or form factions, where they are out for themselves and have the concept of what can society do for them, instead of the other way around.

seeyuzz
    river

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

Seeing as though everyones chucking in their 2 bob...........

Firstly, rep can leave, stay or otherwise - I'm not fussed.

Can't say rep matters when I'm looking in the tech section. Poor spelling and grammar is usually a better clue to someones post quality than the rep number beside it and if someone posts complete garbage it's usually pulled up by another member asap.

That said, if it stays why not just cap it at a nominal figure, like say 200. That way the "exponential" repping power that comes with increasing rep is gone and it enables people to be neg repped and it have an effect e.g. if the classifieds access was say at 50 or 100 there would be a real possibility that a stupid post or two would put an individual back into limited access.

As mentioned previously the 1 point or 2 point per +rep idea regardless of how much rep there is sounds like a good idea.

I'm still amazed at how much passion rep topics bring out in people, it's the internet and a number
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

Come one Shane we all know that rep on Toymods means the earth and that you are the king of all

Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

The rep system is currently a secondary trigger to getting thread starting access to the forums. Time and posts are the other triggers.

Regardless of what combination of time/posts/rep numbers the board comes up with someone is going to have a dummy spit.

Hypothetically if the triggers were permissions upgraded if:
    User has more than 100 posts or
    User has been on for more than 3 months or
    user has greater than 100 rep.

an non technical based person would achive permissions at 3 months or 100 posts as they ask questions more than answer them. Obviously they could post whore to 100 posts inside of a day and get access and the forums turn to crap and are a bitch to moderate.

Rep is a 2 way trigger. You can't lose time on the forums as it only increases. Post count to be lowered involves moderators time to delete threads which is what we are trying to achieve (peer moderation) rep can fluctuate above and below that line allowing and dissallowing permissions. If a new user jumps on and posts a quality piece of tech information the community peers reward that user with rep and as the new user has contributed to the aim of the forums their reward is early access to the full community over and above time/posts.

The problem now is that some users rep is so high that there are users handing out 200+ each time and worse they are "spreading the love" so they can buddy rep as well. the system is growing exponentially and shifting the access goal posts is unfair to the new user.

I like the old money analogy is is somewhat accurate. in in that vein there is a GFC involving rep on the horizon to level the playing field.

The board is somewhat split over enabling reputation in certain sections. 2 days after re enabling it in general car talk I deleted a fair % of it as it was spread the love and buddy rep from the dedicated threads.

After the Rep reset I'm tempted to moderate the rep system and send anyone abusing it back to 10.

The other side of the coin is there are many new systems that potentiall can be introduced and they all have their own triggers and rep is one of those and these all need to be concidered to be fair across the board.

There is however a 4th trigger that may stop rep abuse pretty quickly if implemented and used correctly.

For those wondering. Those that currently have permissions wil not be altered until you achieve the new goal.

Cheers
    Simon
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Would it be possible to simply cap rep or change it into brackets? Say max it out to 100, and divide it into brackets of 10 where each bracket increases certain things like rep power (but have max rep power at like +5 and lowest at +1). Have general forum access start at 10 as normal, and say have classifieds posting power at 20. Anything sub 10 is restricted under mod approval (Twincam has a system like this called "Restricted Shitheads" where people are under mod-approval for all their posts, as does Rollaclub with the warning levels), and 0 is the lowest you can get (to stop the mass -reppage that you get when n00bs ask a silly question or dodgy sellers appear). It keeps the numbers low, which reduces the "need" to get a higher number. Only problem would be that some people might see it as a "percentage", but it can be massaged around that (say 200, or 1000 instead and scale accordingly)
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

Simon, just wondering is you can moderate out the rep I was given for making a joke and posting a lame picture in this thread earlier... kind of strange that someone would give me rep for that as it is exactly the sort of thing that is talked about as being discouraged as a +rep catalyst (note: not discouraged content... funnies are good, but NOT based on any technical knowledge).
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

If I get time I may but it is largely irellevant

The standard rep system can't be "capped" I am looking for code that would achieve that however. As this would make neg rep more 'real'
    Beige.... The new Black!!!