Thread: rt 142 gearbox mount

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default rt 142 gearbox mount

Is there a trick to bolting a new gearbox mount to the gearbox ? The box is still in the car.

I've an rt142 wagon and the new (non genuine) mount appears too narrow, but, I imagined with a little force it would squeeze up far enough to line up the 4 bolts that hold it to the box.

Problem is when I attempted to squeeze it on with the aid of the hydraulic jack the box just lifted up meaning I couldn't amount any real pressure.

I thought of putting a block of wood between the gearbox and the car floor, but, I'm thinking with the amount of pressure I might need to get this mount onto the box, the block of wood might put a nice dent in my floor.

Is there a trick to getting it on ? or, would a genuine toyota mount slip right on ?

Any help appreciated.

Trevor

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Default Re: rt 142 gearbox mount

The only thing I can say, is that I have had exactly the same drama as you. Persistence, sweat and many curse words are normally what gets the new mount on in the end. Seeing as this problem has appeared for me on the W50, W55, W58, A40 and A40D transmissions, which all share the same mount, I would hazard a guess the aftermarket mounts aren't quite made right.

If you have a die grinding burr or a round file, try opening out the holes slightly. Eventually they do go on.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Thanks for the Reply Owen. Something that should be so simple is so damn annoying really. I'm thinking I'll either get a mechanic to put it on or go get a genuine part if it'll just slip on and do it myself. Either way it'll cost about the same I imagine. Thanks again.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Can't comment on whether a genuine rubber will slip on or not unfortunately... must try that one day (maybe with the 3S's gearbox)
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.