Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New Forums Niggles Thread!

Junior Member Carport Converter JBs's Avatar

Default Re: New Forums Niggles Thread!

It was "Any chance of the black frames thread being reopened?"

In a nutshell I was saying I understand completely why it has been locked, I just wanted to check if the thread/format was no longer allowed on Toymods after all the trouble before creating a new one.

Cheers
    JB
    Taken completely out of context:
    Quote Originally Posted by ROTFL-ACT
    JB's quite funny

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

^ ^

I'd prefer people who post NSFW to get a temp ban rather than closing a thread because of said people
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by JBs View Post
    It was "Any chance of the black frames thread being reopened?"
    There is currently no plans to re-open the exisitng thread.

In a nutshell I was saying I understand completely why it has been locked, I just wanted to check if the thread/format was no longer allowed on Toymods after all the trouble before creating a new one.
    If you understand why it has been locked, then you'll know it was locked because someone thought the rules a joke and went ahead posting anyway. The format of the thread, be it black frames, jokes, music or whatever is not the issue... the issue is the content of the thread.

We could say "sure, open another similar thread" .... and within a week it would probably have to be closed because something was posted in there which shouldn't of been. Also, the amount of rep given to people in that thread was ridiculous. People put in good technical information and get hardly anything, but they get a mountain of rep for some silly picture. This has all but destroyed the current rep system.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

River - cant the new upgrade to the forums determine where rep can and cannot be given? I thought that was part of the reason for upgrading anyway?

I understand the reason behind locking it - but I would like to echo Greg in suggesting that individuals be temporarily banned rather than locking the entire thread.

I also agree that REP should only be able to be given in members rides, tech and general car talk. These are the areas where people are most likely to be building a better toymods community.

• Tech - well obviously if someone posts good tech content
    • General Car talk - there can be some really helpful posts in the car specific threads, and other good car related threads that improve the content of the forums.
    • Members Rides - often other members will help out someone with a problem with their car, or give rep to someone for building an awesome car.... and i think thats rep worthy.

Anyway. Dont mind what happens, just happy to see a good clean and happy toymods.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Draven View Post
    ^ ^

I'd prefer people who post NSFW to get a temp ban rather than closing a thread because of said people

I hear you and would agree if it was only one person. Sure one post was what triggered the action, But the posts after it of other forum members saying it was ok as it was a link or because it had NSFW showed a repeated disregard for the rules and that people still feltthey didn't need to follow them.
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl View Post
    River - cant the new upgrade to the forums determine where rep can and cannot be given? I thought that was part of the reason for upgrading anyway?
    Yes it does. But it takes time to set-up and do it between our normal jobs and family life, plus there is a whole lot more in the new version that can be used as well as rep, so we need to make sure we implement it properly. It is happening.

I understand the reason behind locking it - but I would like to echo Greg in suggesting that individuals be temporarily banned rather than locking the entire thread.
    Yes, but as Prettyboy's post below shows, a few ppl thought it was okay. The guy who posted that link even got some +ve rep for doing so! We see ppl on here get rep slammed for asking questions which show thye have not read the rules (ie why can't I post in for sale, or why can't I have an avatar, etc) yet, when someone shows obvious disregard for the rules and ends up in one of the most popular threads being closed down, he gets +ve rep????

I also agree that REP should only be able to be given in members rides, tech and general car talk. These are the areas where people are most likely to be building a better toymods community.

• Tech - well obviously if someone posts good tech content
    • General Car talk - there can be some really helpful posts in the car specific threads, and other good car related threads that improve the content of the forums.
    • Members Rides - often other members will help out someone with a problem with their car, or give rep to someone for building an awesome car.... and i think thats rep worthy.

Anyway. Dont mind what happens, just happy to see a good clean and happy toymods.
    Agreed. We too want a nice clean forum, but without some of you guys helping by supporting the rules and not +ve repping wrong-doers, we have to take more draconian measures. We want you to have fun and this to be a place for anyone to feel comfortable and a place for all your Toyota needs.

We are in discussion about General Car for +rep, as we know a lot of good info goes in there, but also a lot of crap. Our biggest concern is "mates" in the dedicated car threads just repping each other over basically pointless posts. We can't moderate every thread all the time and if mate-rep goes unchecked it reduces the rep back to being rather pointless.

Anyway, that's still in discussion.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Junior Member Carport Converter JBs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by river View Post
    If you understand why it has been locked, then you'll know it was locked because someone thought the rules a joke and went ahead posting anyway. The format of the thread, be it black frames, jokes, music or whatever is not the issue... the issue is the content of the thread.

We could say "sure, open another similar thread" .... and within a week it would probably have to be closed because something was posted in there which shouldn't of been. Also, the amount of rep given to people in that thread was ridiculous. People put in good technical information and get hardly anything, but they get a mountain of rep for some silly picture. This has all but destroyed the current rep system.

seeyuzz
    river
    Fair enough and this is what I was wondering. I didn't want to start a new thread if it is no longer welcome on Toymods.

Cheers
    JB

Edit: Maybe this discussion can be moved to a new thread once the niggle I mentioned is sorted out?
    Last edited by JBs; 30-07-2009 at 06:54 PM.
    Taken completely out of context:
    Quote Originally Posted by ROTFL-ACT
    JB's quite funny

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

But mates could still +rep each other in other sections of the forums if they wanted to River. I thought the "mate repping" thing was being stopped by the whole "spreading the love" thing anyways?
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

mate rep is always going to be hard to stop,

but its also a downside having the spread the love. For example if some clued up bugger helps you in one thread, then in another, two completly different circumstances but both deserve rep for helping.

guess thats just a downside we will have to live with.

wasnt rep going back to 0 anyway with the new forums?
    ST205 Group A Rallye GT-Four 307kw atw @23 psi on 98oct, Now on E85.

1973 TA22

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trdee View Post
    But mates could still +rep each other in other sections of the forums if they wanted to River. I thought the "mate repping" thing was being stopped by the whole "spreading the love" thing anyways?
    That was in turn negatted by Owners/Dedicated threads - you'd get people who just gave everyone on the last page or two rep so it reset the "spreading the love" - basically people would go and rep a bunch of people so they could rep the person who actually deserved it (or who they intended to give it to) in the first place.
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

Yes.... Rep is in for an over haul. It is being abused and that just doesn't cut it.

Witzl, Yes the new forums can do all sorts of stuff, BUT... there is a lot of rethinking going on in the back ground that means things aren't happening too fast.

The issue with the black frames thread was that people were pushing the limits of what was decent to the point where there were a few complaints, the rules system was redone so the rules should be read, and people still ignore them. The board is not trying to stop the humour that happens rather draw that line were it steps into being offensive and keep everyone doing their thing on the good side of it.

Cheers
    Simon
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

Don Mega Chief Engine Builder X kyle X's Avatar

is removing the rep system a possibility???
    The GOD HAND AW11 - sold

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...ight=kyle+AW11

AIDS infestation - HCR32 Skyline - the jesus foot?

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

in short... Yes
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

Junior Member Domestic Engineer RobertoX's Avatar

^^ good idea... + rep

umop apisdn Chief Engine Builder twentyEight's Avatar

What about deleting (not moving) the Non Car Discussion section in total, which will then remove all rep given in that section, leaving rep received from the Tech and Member's Rides section?
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Green '77 RA28 Celica - VVTi V8 Goodness...