Thread: 7MGE Cressida (mx83) - Rebuild in Car??

Default 7MGE Cressida (mx83) - Rebuild in Car??

Hey guys,
    Recently bought an mx83 with no compression on cylinders 4 & 5. Narrowed it down to the rings being shot (added oil and compression went up)

Its just for a run around so going to throw some new rings on her and throw in a top end kit.

My question is, can we drop the sump of the 7m with the crossmember of the cressida still in place, It looks like you can access most things just gonna be awkward...what do people think???

Cheers. Jamie.

Nothing but a filthy Conversion King CELICASUPRA7M's Avatar

Default Re: 7MGE Cressida (mx83) - Rebuild in Car??

what if you let the mounts go and lifted the motor up enough to get the sump off?
    i have heard of rebuilding 7Ms in the car but not sure wether they took the cross member out or not.

mmmm good call,

I am just really trying to avoid taking off the auto. lol (yes yes i know, lazy ass.)

after having another look, it seems that some of the sump bolts are covered by the auto backing plate. any advice....I guess i could lift the engine up to access the sump...but how would that effect the gearbox??

Forum Member

done 2 in car ,must remove cross member as oil pump pick up is long.it is only 4 bolts & leave steering rack bolted up 2 member just undo oil lines.they mainly do in head gaskets between cyclinders or big end bearing

Quote Originally Posted by tass1
    they mainly do in head gaskets between cyclinders or big end bearing
    by that do you mean that it may be a headgasket issue and not rings....

Can you access all the sump botls without removing the auto box...

cheers mate.

Jamie

Forum Member

can get all sump bolts very easy,need 2 take of lower plate 2 get back bolts.very rare 2 have 2 cylinders down next 2 each other,most likely a head gasket. problem is they damage block surface .

Nothing but a filthy Conversion King CELICASUPRA7M's Avatar

had a diesel hilux do this a while back, transfering compression backwards and forwards between cylinders, HG had a huge chunk missing tho and the thing would barely idle.
    Does yours run like shit? and do you mean no compression at all?

Forum Member

yes they do run like shit when they have blown hg,they also blow into hg near water jacket,take spark plug out & crank engine it blows water out of plug hole .i have 3 mx 83 in the family 2 of them i pulled engines out & stripped surface grind head & block did a complete rebuild standard gaskets head bolts 80ft 1 has done 186000km runs great never overheats.like i said early on they damage the block surface mainly around the fire ring they are great when all fixed

hey guys,
    As you suspected tass1, it was infact a big chunk missing from the headgasket between cylinders 4 and 5. Corrosion was the cause, it was severely pitted and explains the symmptoms well.

Well regardless from this we have established that the pistons and rings are all ok, and now i dont have to pull apart the bottom end. yaay, go me.

Cylinders 4 and 5 had about 65-70psi compression (with the throttle closed...this increases the figure i am told)

Anyway, i am off to sleep after night shift, speak all soon.