Thread: What is involved in turbocharging a Gen1 3SGE?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default What is involved in turbocharging a Gen1 3SGE?

Hi, I'd just like to know, what things are necessary to do/buy in order to turbo charge my ST162's Gen1 3SGE? I know I know, i should just do an engine conversion...But I just wanna know what is involved. I'm not after too much horse power, and I don't want it to be a hardcore project (I Don't want to change pistons and efi etc.)

But I'm assuming it HAS to be a hardcore project (You get out what you put in )

Thanx Guyz

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Default Re: What is involved in turbocharging a Gen1 3SGE?

zorst manifod, turbo, dump, oil/water lines to/from turbo, oil-supply tapped into block, oil drain fitted to sump, oil cooler (required ?), GTE-model ECU, AFM, injectors, inlet piping, intercooler & piping to suit, clutch, gearbox oil cooler (fittings already there?) ... in the long run, easier to get a half-cut.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

jay zee zee thir tee Carport Converter HAVABEER's Avatar

i think you can run it on the stock ECU as long as you don't got past 5 - 7 psi or something like that.

or maybe it was the engine couldn't handle more the 5 - 7psi hmmm

i think someone did actually attempt this conversion a while ago. might take a bit of searching to find it though.

try www.ozcelica.net
    As they say in the book, assembly is the reverse of dismantling, but slower cos you forgot where all the bits are

Junior Member Domestic Engineer 1jz68u's Avatar

i did look into this when i had my 162, was much much much much much easier and cheaper to get a half cut, also you get some good stuff if you find a 165 half cut, like the slightly larger brakes and dash, and bar if they give it to you.

you can buy some pretty cheap GT4s anyway these days.
    Glenn
    Current Ride http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41123
    Previous 3SGTE ST162, 1JZ Cressida 215RWKW-ET 13.318, Celsior, XT forester, 3SGE KE70.
    Quote Originally Posted by NME308 View Post
    You do of course realize forgiveness is easier to gain than permission right???
    Cheers, Jason

I found this kit on ebay, but obviously as thechuckster has mentioned, I require more components, mainly from the gt4 model yeh?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MakeTrack=true

Is there more info on running the turbocharger on the stock 3SGE? like HAVABEER has mentioned earlier; Is it possible to run the turbocharger on the stock engine at low psi's???

Junior Member Domestic Engineer J0RD0's Avatar

mate to be honest it looks like your on an extreem budget to do this, if you turbocharge the 3sge expect to run into problems after the conversion, Example the 3sge is designed to be a naturally aspirated engine, it wont last long regardless of psi because you will be flogging it everywhere you go, and dont say you wont because you will. everyone is saying get a half cut it will be cheaper and they are right.

turboing the 3sge depending how much you do yourself (by the sounds of it you dont know much about turbocharging a car) expect to pay around the 5k mark minimum because you will be paying for alot of labour. Wiring will be the biggest issue.

buying a half cut and swapping it over again 5k - 7k mark maybe

or 162 celica's that have already been converted that pop up from time to time and the poor people that have forked over a fair bit of cash to do so and ironed out most of the problems + a few little upgrades here and there go from about 3 - 6k

So what do you think would be the biggest time and money saver?
    RA23 1JZ VVTi 373hp - SOLD
    12.4 @ 110mph
    THE EVOROLLA 262.9hp - SOLD
    JZ parts facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/524841910926804/

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

yeah it is possible but you will need a SAFC or similar to trick the ECU. I think you can put a T piece on the oil pressure gauge for the turbo oil supply and defenatly need a oil return wleded on the sump.

what i think:
    You actually end up spending more this way and you don't know when its going to go kaboom. There is alot of little annoying things you have to go through, a lot of running around its not worth it.
    I know for a fact "thechuckster" is speaking from experience.
    I would personally save for a GT4, what the heck Jzz30 soarers are getting below $5000.00 if you want to experience RWD in comfort and no toque steer.

I Might end up buyin a turbo S13 down the track :S they are overall better cars than ST162's aren't they? Parts are also widely available for the S13's thus they are a lot cheaper and easier to obtain.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

is like chalk and cheese - AWD versus 2WD for starters.

The s13 is cheap, common and most likely badly abused before you buy it. The GT4 will be tired and in need of attention - but the first time you drive it up a winding road, you realise just how much more grip and cornering capability these things have.

either car is going to cost you serious dollars - they have gone thru multiple owners and increasing amounts of dodgy maintenance and repairs.

edit: i now realise your comparing fwd 162 with rwd not a 165 ... keep the 162 as a daily and get something else to pointlessly spend money on.
    Last edited by thechuckster; 27-08-2009 at 12:23 PM.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Junior Member Domestic Engineer 1jz68u's Avatar

an its not really a comparison to compare a FWD st162 and a RWD s13.

but i do think that if you want something with turbocharged performance, you should buy something RWD or AWD depending on what you actually want to do with it.

i have had a turbo st162 and although it was cool cause i had a big front mount YO and a fully sick BOV if i actually wanted to go fast it was rubbish, torque steer, wheel spin if you put the power down out of a corner.... BUT BOY I LOOKED COOL
    Glenn
    Current Ride http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41123
    Previous 3SGTE ST162, 1JZ Cressida 215RWKW-ET 13.318, Celsior, XT forester, 3SGE KE70.
    Quote Originally Posted by NME308 View Post
    You do of course realize forgiveness is easier to gain than permission right???
    Cheers, Jason

is firing on all eight. Carport Converter AndyTTR's Avatar

If you're looking for a cheaper, more reliable alternative then perhaps take a look at a later model 3SGE? Gen 3's have to be getting pretty cheap these days... My old Gen3 3SGE powered Celica could keep up with DC2 Integra Type Rs (and cost half as much).

Have a search, there's bucket loads of information on here.